Wiki Posts
Search

77W - is First worth 27.5K Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
77W - is First worth 27.5K Miles?

Have a relatively short flight JFK-LHR. Booked in Saver J but Saver F space opened up.

Is it worth the upgrade?

Flown 77W J before and was perfectly fine with it. Main benefit for this one is FFD as I have a long layover before this flight, but wondering if the seat and service is much different in F.

Thanks!
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The suite is a bit more spacious (but not as much as the old 772 Flagship First), and the slightly larger, comfier seat swivels 90 degrees for easier access to work surfaces. You’ll get pajamas in addition to the F amenity kit. Some also believe the second row is too visible to Business Class and doesn’t afford the degree of privacy First should offer.

Some feel the service is not really distinguishable from that in the Business cabin.

Whether that’s worth 27.5 k more is a subjective decision, IMO. If a larger seat or workspace access, Flagship First Dining etc. are worth it to you, or if you have lots of miles and you’re curious, go for it. If you don’t, the 77W J seat is the best J seat AA has.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by JDiver
Some also believe the second row is too visible to Business Class and doesn’t afford the degree of privacy First should offer.
Sitting in 3A this week with my lucky sub 773 DFW-LAX flight I could get a great glimpse of all of 2C so I can see what you are saying here.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Yes, for 2 reasons: the mattress cover, so you can have a comfortable nights sleep, and the flagship first dining, so you eat before the flight and maximize sleep time. Safe travels...
Old Apr 26, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Have a relatively short flight JFK-LHR. Booked in Saver J but Saver F space opened up.

Is it worth the upgrade?

Flown 77W J before and was perfectly fine with it. Main benefit for this one is FFD as I have a long layover before this flight, but wondering if the seat and service is much different in F.

Thanks!
Depends on how much Krug you want to "sample".

I do find the seats in the 77W F a nice upgrade, but not sure it's worth it for such a short flight. Now DFW/LAX-HKG, absolutely.
JDiver, Zacnlinc and phlwookie like this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
If you have 50k miles it isnt worth it.

If you have 2.5 million miles, definitely worth it.

And I prefer row 2 over any of the row 1 seats on the 77W...
Old Apr 26, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
It's definitely worth it, especially if 1A is available.
flyertalker54234 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Wouldn't bother and save my miles for something else. I've crossed the pond in J many times and enjoyed a good night's sleep. As for lounge access, the 'basic' flagship lounge offers more than enough. However as I've never had a long layover in JFK can't comment whether the extra amenities (other than food) are worth it.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
No.

It’s worth an SWU if it would otherwise go unused, but that’s about it. The seat is a weird office chair and the food is no better than J. Access to flagship first dining is nice, but not really a huge deal.
E55 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 7:35 pm

I vote yeah - the bed in F is pretty nice and just make sure to eat and drink at the FFD as the on board food and beverage is sub par
flyertalker54234 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 7:42 pm

Save your points! On short puddle jumper flights like this you won't be able to enjoy the many benefits F seats offer. By the time meal service is done, you'll have maybe 4 hours to sleep before it's time to have breakfast, pack everything up, fill out the landing form (if you're not registered traveller), etc. You could forgo meal service I suppose but even then, you're looking at maybe 5 hours of rest. There's a huge difference between Y and J cabins, but the difference between J and F aren't as big.

Here's to hoping you have continued J experiences with your points.

-James
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
On a short flight where you're mostly sleeping I can see the argument for not spending the extra points, though on this flight as you point out the FFD does allow you to have far better food, wine and champs on the ground and just sleep the whole flight skipping the in flight meal. Personally I would do the upgrade, I have plenty of miles they are not getting more valuable so why not! I guess it comes down to, do you have a ton of miles and how fast you earn them back. For many 27K miles come quickly and won't be missed, if you don't travel a lot and it will take awhile to earn those miles back then it might not be worth it.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:27 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by HofstraJet

Is it worth the upgrade?

Thanks!
It's a "win-win". By all means, do it. 2-3 hours in the serenity of the JFK Flagship First Dining is fantastic when compared to the elbow to elbow experience you sometimes encounter in the Flagship Lounge.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:42 am

The bed is thicker and you get better alcohol. That’s about it.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by carlosnunez.dfw
The bed is thicker and you get better alcohol. That’s about it.
I was actually looking for info on this very topic this morning, without success. Other than differences in wine offerings, are there really better alcohol selections? E.g., do they have a superior scotch to Glenlivet, or improved bourbon/whiskey selections vs normal J?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.