New AA USA - Europe services for 2019

Old Apr 27, 19, 8:43 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Originally Posted by golfingboy View Post
I don’t know why AA sent that email today promoting as if this was news. Sounds like bookings on some routes aren’t doing so hot and AA felt compelled to “remind” their customers about the new routes.
Drip marketing. Many businesses do it as a part of segmenting/marketing. Potential customers often need to hear a message 7 times before it finally sticks & resonates.
Old Apr 27, 19, 8:46 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
Yes, but one can't really expect much origin and destination demand on PHL-TXL. It's really competing xxx-PHL-TXL, and oneworld already has a lot of North America-origin xxx-LHR-TXL for that. AA and BA have the JV and must think it's worth the duplication, however - at least as a seasonal effort. We'll know more if it comes back for 2020.
There are a lot of xxx cities that have service to PHL but not to LHR.... In which case it's not duplication.
Old Apr 27, 19, 8:49 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joeyE View Post
Drip marketing. Many businesses do it as a part of segmenting/marketing. Potential customers often need to hear a message 7 times before it finally sticks & resonates.
And the fact many are just now finalizing their summer travel plans. It's good timing to remind people.
Old Apr 27, 19, 8:56 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by wetrat0 View Post
There are a lot of xxx cities that have service to PHL but not to LHR.... In which case it's not duplication.
Exactly. While BA may have flights to BNA, IND, PIT, and other mid-sized US areas, I doubt we'll ever see LHR-AVP, BUF, ITH, ALB, MDT, IPT, ERI....just to name a few (some of those airports probably couldn't even handle a long range aircraft). Yet each of those have nonstop flights to PHL, making 1-stop connections to TXL, or elsewhere in Europe.
I regularly fly to AVP to visit family, and am always surprised how busy the late afternoon AVP-PHL flights are. And when the FA's read through the connections, many pax are going to Europe. It might only be a 2 hour drive to PHL...but then they'd have to deal with PHL -v- beginning and ending the trip in the convenience of a nice little airport.
Old Apr 27, 19, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
To me PHL is just not that great as a TATL connecting point with AA. No Flagship Lounge, so you don't get the full experience with AA. OTOH, I can make use of the AMEX Centurion Lounge, but that's not thanks to the airline. But I guess it makes sense to focus all the oddball TATL routes at one Eastcoast airport. Taken that there's no AB and it's going to continue that there's a hole in OW in terms of the coverage in Continental Europe, AA will hopefully tap as much as possible to that market area. PRG and BUD are not directly that market, but some nice additions besides the German destinations. WAW or CPH could be interesting.
Old Apr 27, 19, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by C46 View Post
I would be very surprised, if the TXL-route returns in 2020.

To me, as a German, Berlin is highly overrated, as a tourist attraction. It's okay for a 2-day trip and/or if one chooses to explore the pub/club scene; I don't see many further attractions for tourists, within a 100-mile radius.
And as a business route, it shouldn't work, due to the short season. Furthermore the hard product will not attract many Germans, to choose AA over DL to JFK.
I'll defer to you to a certain level, but when we visited we loved Museum Island (all day event), Check Point Charlie and surrounding museums and the TV Tower and surrounding areas. If you're in to history, plenty to see. We also enjoyed the numerous Christmas Markets, given the time of year. And I'd go back to Berlin just for the restaurant Henne, best fried chicken I think I've ever had. But I digress..

It seems that we all sometimes fall into the "from" to only analysis. By this I mean, there might actually be Berliners wanting to visit the US during the summer, and having a direct flight to a hub city like PHL from where one can reach almost all major 48 state destinations is possible, might come into play. It's not just Americans wanting to visit Berlin..

Last edited by teemuflyer; Apr 28, 19 at 10:15 pm
Old Apr 27, 19, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
Yes, but one can't really expect much origin and destination demand on PHL-TXL. It's really competing xxx-PHL-TXL, and oneworld already has a lot of North America-origin xxx-LHR-TXL for that. AA and BA have the JV and must think it's worth the duplication, however - at least as a seasonal effort. We'll know more if it comes back for 2020.
if only it were LAX/DFW/MIA/JFK-BER-xxx...that would have been great to have a second OneWorld hub deep in Europe.
Old Apr 28, 19, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Yazata View Post
To me PHL is just not that great as a TATL connecting point with AA. No Flagship Lounge, so you don't get the full experience with AA.........
Then you should also avoid connecting via the largest AA Hub, DFW.
Old Apr 28, 19, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by perseus11 View Post
Actually, I wouldn't at all be surprised if AA returned to Israel, once additional 787-900s arrive.
I am pretty sure about this. I think they will have reconsider to TLV. Probably not for a while.

Originally Posted by Djokison View Post
That'is not the reason why AA currently isn’t serving TLV.

Unfortunately not, I don't think returns to TLV anytime soon. I don't think they coming back.

Originally Posted by golfingboy View Post
I know AA stated they lost $20 million on their PHL-TLV route and the route was being canceled for financial reasons. However, from what I understand that a group of former TWA employees reached a settlement with AA but the settlement money allegedly was never paid. AA cannot operate into TLV and avoid addressing this issue.

I think post merger AA can do well in TLV operating ORD-TLV rather than PHL-TLV.
Yes, former TWA employees never got pay it back. That's big problem. They losing the money and they couldn't have enough profitability.

I do not think they ever returns to TLV. They won't be back to TLV for a long time. They will seized the plane.

Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
Perhaps they'll be able to fly to BER in 2020???
No, actually, it's 2021. They will open it up in 2021 or so.
Old Apr 29, 19, 7:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by perseus11 View Post
Then you should also avoid connecting via the largest AA Hub, DFW
Except they have the Premium Lounge available until the new Flagship one is opened, so there's something available right now. But then again Philly too should be getting one.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: