Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA offers TOD “tens of dollars” First Class & Upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA offers TOD “tens of dollars” First Class & Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Horrifying Rates to Upgrade to First: Advance Upgrade

Similar to United, I have realized that American has also started offering online upgrades in advance and I have got the offer $636 for my MIA-DCA flight whereas purchasing a new First class ticket for the same flight is $720. Obviously, I am not taking this offer as I already have a MCE seat for free and all the perks stated except "Our largest, most comfortable seat".

And, ironically, BA generally offers a $639 upgrade rate for their east-coast transatlantic flights from Y to C.

Has anyone considered purchasing an upgrade similar to this on their own expense ( not billing to their company, etc... )?

I have removed the date info due to privacy reasons.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
AA wanted over $700 for LGA-DTW with no FC seats sold. Needless to say I cleared right at the window and will be chilling in 1A
Old Aug 8, 2019, 3:04 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Similar to United, I have realized that American has also started offering online upgrades in advance and I have got the offer $636 for my MIA-DCA flight whereas purchasing a new First class ticket for the same flight is $720. Obviously, I am not taking this offer as I already have a MCE seat for free and all the perks stated except "Our largest, most comfortable seat".

And, ironically, BA generally offers a $639 upgrade rate for their east-coast transatlantic flights from Y to C.

Has anyone considered purchasing an upgrade similar to this on their own expense ( not billing to their company, etc... )?
There is nothing horrifying about this. AA is tryin to offer an upcharge to F, for a *little* bit less than what a normal fare would cost. They're not offering it at bargain basement "TOD" type prices like UA is known for. For now, the elite upgrades will likely be unaffected.
milesandmoremiles likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by BWISkyGuy

Same here! Last week it took over an hour and transfer between three departments because of the corporate code on my ticket and a debate on which department could upfare it, not to mention the $50 fee to claim PNR.
The direct dial number for the meetings and conference group (who can change a Concur or travel agent ticket with the $50 fee) is 800-433-1790 and they are open 7A-11P Central M-F and 7A-8P Central Saturdays and Sundays.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
The app and website are showing the offer to move to first class for my upcoming ORD-RDU flight this week. It's not an upgrade price, however. It's an upfare price. Currently, AA is requesting over $700 one way for the upfare. Yesterday is was $380. Only one first class seat is shown as occupied on the seat map. In total, 12 seats are occupied in coach. I'll probably end up with my own row of MCE.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 6:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Exclamation

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer

I have removed the date info due to privacy reasons.
What's horrifying is the deceitful marketing going on here! Check the airplane type and photograph shown. How rude!
largeeyes likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
I book a majority of my flights as one ways and all of my current upgrade offers are sky high. I could understand if it was the fare difference from my coach ticket to first class. But it's a huge mark up. One example is ORD-MCO I paid $180 and current first price is $445. The upgrade banner price is $739. On what planet would anyone pay $739 when they could just call up and up fare? Why go through the cost and effort of introducing technology to just make it completely unappealing to the consumer. Maybe AA thinks the T in TOD stands for thousands?
robertablake likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by chicago747
I book a majority of my flights as one ways and all of my current upgrade offers are sky high. I could understand if it was the fare difference from my coach ticket to first class. But it's a huge mark up. One example is ORD-MCO I paid $180 and current first price is $445. The upgrade banner price is $739. On what planet would anyone pay $739 when they could just call up and up fare? Why go through the cost and effort of introducing technology to just make it completely unappealing to the consumer. Maybe AA thinks the T in TOD stands for thousands?
I have the same thing with my flights. When I check, the offer is to go into first flexible. That could explain why the price is so astronomically high.

I’m within 24 hours of my flight. 2 seats occupied in first. You’d think, with all elite upgrade windows passed, they’d start offering those seats for purchase. But the option has disappeared from the app and site.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:24 pm

Interestingly, I have a BOS-PHX-BOS booked in October. The PHX-BOS return leg was only $250 to upgrade, so I upgraded that piece. The outbound BOS-PHX leg was $1698 to upgrade (while they are selling discounted F for $1075). I tweeted to AA to ask why an upgrade was $600+ more than just buying an F ticket. Got a BS reply about there being different levels of F fares. My Y ticket was Non-Refundable...why wouldn't the upgrade fee take the Non-Refundable F fare into consideration. Craziness.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Mykle
Interestingly, I have a BOS-PHX-BOS booked in October. The PHX-BOS return leg was only $250 to upgrade, so I upgraded that piece. The outbound BOS-PHX leg was $1698 to upgrade (while they are selling discounted F for $1075). I tweeted to AA to ask why an upgrade was $600+ more than just buying an F ticket. Got a BS reply about there being different levels of F fares. My Y ticket was Non-Refundable...why wouldn't the upgrade fee take the Non-Refundable F fare into consideration. Craziness.
It really looks like they're testing dynamic pricing, otherwise as you say it would be a simple calculation for the upfare.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I have finally received a very good deal on an AA booking but I'm not the only passenger in the same PNR.
If I wish to upgrade that flight ( only for myself ) would the hotline be able to process it or would I need to upgrade all passengers at the same moment?
Old Sep 10, 2019, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Anecdotal, but my upgrade window has shrunk since this.

Upgrades are now within T24 and the last 3 have been at the gate where I was 1 on the list.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 4:17 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Traveling Thanksgiving morning PHL-CLT with my SO and teenager. We’re both Plat, though she just got it through a promo and has $0 EQD/0 EQM right now.

We’re on separate PNRs and both got offered a $58 upgrade for that segment and $308 for the Thanksgiving Sunday return. Since were flying on the A332 (to and from), we already snagged PE seats. So, while a little bit tempting to be in the lie flats, it’s only a 75 minute flight so spending $174 to upgrade us all for that short hop isn’t worth it, and definitely not worth $924 to upgrade us all on the return!

We may well get the comp upgrade on the way down anyway because it’s a slow travel day (hence, the cheap offer).
Old Sep 16, 2019, 4:39 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
got one for ATL-Flint MI .. via ORD, AA wanted $1055.... are you kidding?
my ticket cost $228 rt
Old Sep 16, 2019, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Mykle
Do you really think that a general Twitter agent is going to know the ins-and-outs of Revenue Management? Furthermore, AA is not going to release specifics about their Revenue Management strategies. Clearly, the algorithm thinks they are going to sell those seats at full price between now and October. It might be right or it might be wrong...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.