Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA offers TOD “tens of dollars” First Class & Upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA offers TOD “tens of dollars” First Class & Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
As one of the walking wounded on UA, I actually have a better shot at a TOD upgrade on AA than I do on UA. UA elites do not usually get offered TOD upgrades, while non-elites on the same flights get the offers. I’ve died at #1 on the upgrade list on UA with an instrument-supported upgrade more times than I’ve actually gotten upgraded.

As someone with no status anymore on AA, I find this very intriguing. But I do have a great deal of empathy for my AA compatriots who have been enjoying a reasonably acceptable upgrade clearance rate, and have not yet been beaten into submission with non-elites scoring TOD’s while you sit at #1 and watch the open seats in F disappear one by one.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BWISkyGuy

Same here! Last week it took over an hour and transfer between three departments because of the corporate code on my ticket and a debate on which department could upfare it, not to mention the $50 fee to claim PNR. I’m happy to buy first class — please dear god sell me an upsell easier than AA has been doing it to this point.
If you book through a corporate travel agency, you always need to call Meeting Services for the upfare. Just google it and you'll get the phone # for their department. The $50 fee is hit or miss and I've had success with HUCA. Actually just last week, first time I called the upfare was $180, said no thanks, called about 10 mins later and it came through at $130.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: US Gold
I was wondering about what EQD/EQM credit you get for the OLCI/at-airport upgrades. On my last flight PHL-LHR I was offered an upgrade from to business class (from economy) for Ł368, which seemed pretty modest, really. It was certainly a lot less than previous such offers.

I still didn't take it. But my question is: what EQDs and EQMs would taking the upgrade have added? They really don't (and should) make these things clear.

wg
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wendyg
I was wondering about what EQD/EQM credit you get for the OLCI/at-airport upgrades. On my last flight PHL-LHR I was offered an upgrade from to business class (from economy) for Ł368, which seemed pretty modest, really. It was certainly a lot less than previous such offers.

I still didn't take it. But my question is: what EQDs and EQMs would taking the upgrade have added? They really don't (and should) make these things clear.

wg
It will be based on the purchased fare class and amount of the original ticket. What the kiosk offers is an "upgrade", not a sell up to a higher fare.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 3:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Stripe
Not to mention AA's partner BA, which has had WT+ for years.
True - but it was a lot later than 1992 when it brought it out - VS and BR were the innovators of the product - even if it took a while before it had a generic name of premium economy ;Also on AA's partners there are Qantas and Cathay at least too that had it for a long while before
Old Apr 27, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
What Delta did in conjunction with FCM was to increase the number of F seats. AA has been moving in the opposite direction, replacing 16F MD-80s with 8F 319s.

I wonder if AA would consider anothet A321 subfleet. Similar to the old US A321 configuration with F from Door 1 to Door 2. This is prior to the HP merger. The 321 is a good plane to do this on as the cabin break currently is less than ideal.

This subfleet can be used on high yielding routes where people will pay up, either shorter hops between business centers/hubs (LGA-CLT and LGA-ORD) and longer routes where you may get a larger mix of paid F (non flagship Transcons, MIA-LAX, DCA-LAX)
Old Apr 27, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JDiver
In the FlyerTalk Glossary. From the upper blue menu bar, select Help, them Glossary.

FCM: First Class Monetization (especially pertinent to Delta)

TOD: Tens of dollars (used by UA flyers to refer to upgrades sold more cheaply to those without status than available to those with status)
Thank you! Never needed to rely on the glossary. Acronyms around these parts tend to be fora specific.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richarddd
For some people, the possibility of an upgrade is a major reason for staying with an airline and seeking elite status. The possibility of an upgrade has been decreasing and the move to FCM may effectively eliminate the chance. If so, it does not become a reason to jump ship, but it does eliminate a reason to stay. The devaluation of elite status across airlines seems a fair reason to become a free agent.

Allowing upgrades for the price difference between Y and F does not appear to be something anyone can reasonably complain about. Allowing upgrades for TOD is another matter. In addition to the problem of fewer elite upgrades, if one can reliably upgrade to F for less than the fare difference, why buy F in the first place?
With the DL system it's definitely about the marketing and ease of transaction (no need to deal with an agent), not reliably offering upgrades for less than the fare difference. Not saying it never happens, but it's certainly not reliable. Case in point, I have a RT for DTW-BWI that I paid $253 for and am getting a $74 each way upgrade offer. However, the FC price is $392 RT (so it would be cheaper to call and upfare). The $70 charge is pretty typical for short-haul routes and don't recall them dropping below that amount. Transcon upgrades tend to be $200+ and, again, I don't recall them dropping below this (they tend to go up as you get near the flight, not down). Not saying it makes me any more happy about upgrades being more challenging, but it's pretty clear they are not really undercutting FC fares in order to sell more upgrades.

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 28, 2019 at 5:09 am
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
^I hope this also means the comp upgrade window is reduced to 24 hours or so. It's damn near impossible to buy 4 first class tickets for my family at the last minute these days....
eae and Spanish like this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
^I hope this also means the comp upgrade window is reduced to 24 hours or so. It's damn near impossible to buy 4 first class tickets for my family at the last minute these days....
Or even better, give them out at the gate. Difficult for 1 to 2 tickets on busy routes, and don’t even get me started on misconnecting and downgraded to coach...

What effect, if any, will this have on the premium fares? Could make for interesting new policy.
eae likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 5:08 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Remember, if you have any AA elite status, you never see LFBU offers, but they gladly come online assuming there is capacity at check-in. I am unaware if LFBUs are blocked to BE customers, I don't have evidence either way.

I find it odd that people think AA will promote primarily fare difference upsell via email. I expect demand-based flat rate pricing which will usually be cheaper for low-cost, advanced-booked fares than upfairing.

I totally agree that this fills a void for business travelers who are willing to spend part of their own money on upgrades. Yes, the corporate agency will get notified just like they do when upgrades at the window come through, but it won't be an issue.

Further, I expect that most CKs purchase premium classes anyway to get their spend thresholds, so I think EXPs and PPROs road warriors better start figuring out a budget for their upgrades otherwise. PLT and GLD already have a paid equivalent formula for upgrades, as rare as they might be.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 5:26 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by rasheed
Remember, if you have any AA elite status, you never see LFBU offers, but they gladly come online assuming there is capacity at check-in. I am unaware if LFBUs are blocked to BE customers, I don't have evidence either way.

I find it odd that people think AA will promote primarily fare difference upsell via email. I expect demand-based flat rate pricing which will usually be cheaper for low-cost, advanced-booked fares than upfairing.

I totally agree that this fills a void for business travelers who are willing to spend part of their own money on upgrades. Yes, the corporate agency will get notified just like they do when upgrades at the window come through, but it won't be an issue.

Further, I expect that most CKs purchase premium classes anyway to get their spend thresholds, so I think EXPs and PPROs road warriors better start figuring out a budget for their upgrades otherwise. PLT and GLD already have a paid equivalent formula for upgrades, as rare as they might be.
I agree the US3 are headed towards co pay upgrades, the amount likely depending upon elite class and clearing as they do now by elite status and 12 month rolling spend. In essence stickers will be required for upgrades. Possibly EXPs and PP like GLDs and PLTs might earn a certain number of complimentary stickers per "X" number of miles (or more likely a move towards dollars) flown. The day of the complimentary upgrade like the days of status by miles flown is coming to an end. Of course, the're be those FTers (and airline neters) that will swear AA will never move this way because it will "upset" their elites.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by richarddd
For some people, the possibility of an upgrade is a major reason for staying with an airline and seeking elite status. The possibility of an upgrade has been decreasing and the move to FCM may effectively eliminate the chance. If so, it does not become a reason to jump ship, but it does eliminate a reason to stay. The devaluation of elite status across airlines seems a fair reason to become a free agent.
Absolutely. AA's DFW hub is (IIRC) the second-biggest airline hub by flight count in the world, behind DL@ATL. Yet there are ~60 destinations served non-stop from DFW by ~20 carriers not AA nor American Eagle, plus Southwest's 195 flight/64 city operation at DAL. If elite status has minimal value there's little reason to chase it - choose flights by your personal matrix of price/schedule/service/fare restrictions. (I'll let people argue their valuation of specific benefits elsewhere.)
Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by jvel
If you book through a corporate travel agency, you always need to call Meeting Services for the upfare. Just google it and you'll get the phone # for their department. The $50 fee is hit or miss and I've had success with HUCA. Actually just last week, first time I called the upfare was $180, said no thanks, called about 10 mins later and it came through at $130.
Hasn’t been my experience with CTM as my corporate travel agent. Ex Plat desk would handle the changes, update and sometimes schedule changes where the exp desk waived the fee for me but not them.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 7:21 pm

Programs: free agent
I hate to see this happening.

Except, of course when it is in my favor on DL/UA and I'm sipping my PDB (vodka coke), watching the Medallion/1K brag-tags roll on and head south of the curtain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.