Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA offers TOD “tens of dollars” First Class & Upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA offers TOD “tens of dollars” First Class & Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
What offers? Just call and buy up. You don't need to wait for an "offer". All I want is to be able to buy up online so I don't have to call. If AA adds that, I'm super happy.
TOD upgrades and being able to upfare/buy up online are distinct things.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
TOD upgrades and being able to upfare/buy up online are distinct things.
Correct. I want to upfare/buy up online.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:53 pm

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Not: successful.
Thanks for the extra laugh.

The loyalty programs are effectively fading away. So, when I get those silly reminders about miles and their value, when some poor cabin staff has to flog a credit credit, I’ll just smile and wave.

Not going to pound the table as others have said. Just going to smile at the lies as they’re told.

Cheers and good luck.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by econometrics
As an EXP who flies 95% of my annual in-air miles on INTL longhauls, I really do not care about the domestic upgrade game. A 2-3 hour flight in MCE is fine with me. That's "short" compared to most of the flights I am taking.

However, I actually like the sound of AA TOD upgrades... if they can execute it right. If I buy a PE R/T to Europe for $1400, then AA offers me $400-$600 to upgrade to J without playing the SWU waiting game, I would probably jump on it every day and twice on Sundays.
Yeah, I'd bite at that price point just for vacation.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
The 'Top Tier' Elites are not waiting around for upgrades anyway, they are flying on paid first class tickets.
This isn’t universally true. Presumably I’m a “top tier elite” — CK with six digit spend so far this calendar year and some 150 segments. None of the domestic flights are paid first, yet all but 1 or 2 were flown in first.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ikwia

This isn’t universally true. Presumably I’m a “top tier elite” — CK with six digit spend so far this calendar year and some 150 segments. None of the domestic flights are paid first, yet all but 1 or 2 were flown in first.
This doesn't make sense. If you are spending over $100K a year, I can't image why you are not buying F for domestic flights. I have to assume you are flying on business travel - which pays for business internationally but not for domestic.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Flight44
I’m laughing so hard. So let’s follow this through: A customer remains loyal, gains points, achieves status with the idea that they’ll be able to upgrade. Only to have that seat sold for TOD. Yeah, thanks for your loyalty. Or so that is the proposal.
So based on your comment, why would you stay with AA?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
...what exactly are EXP supposed to be getting for their loyalty anymore?
Group 2 boarding?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
So based on your comment, why would you stay with AA?
Valid question and one I actually asked AA in the note I dropped to Customer Relations pertaining to the 21 hour long utter cluster.... they subjected me to today.

For me, the positives are the partners, the intl J hard product and the hub locations.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by cova
This doesn't make sense. If you are spending over $100K a year, I can't image why you are not buying F for domestic flights. I have to assume you are flying on business travel - which pays for business internationally but not for domestic.
I’m not sure how this doesn’t make sense. I choose to pay for business internationally because of the longer flights. Domestically, I choose to pay for coach because under the current system I am very likely to fly in first, but can tolerate 2-3 hours in coach if need be.

I am not unique with this arrangement — I know of several CKs who do similar.
Air Houston likes this.

Last edited by ikwia; Jul 8, 2019 at 12:22 am
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Guys, I honestly didn’t have time to read the whole thread, but TOD upgrades just seem like they’re honestly likely to happen... at some point.

And it’ll probably be fine if AA gets it right. Offer it to higher level elites first. Do it the old VX way. Golds could buy up at T-24, Silvers at T-12.

When they do it, they need to do it the right way.

Last edited by metallo; Jul 7, 2019 at 11:00 pm Reason: sp.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler

I am mot unique with this arrangement — I know of several CKs who do similar.
I am exactly the same.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum

I’m not sure how this doesn’t make sense. I choose to pay for business internationally because of the longer flights. Domestically, I choose to pay for coach because under the current system I am very likely to fly in first, but can tolerate 2-3 hours in coach if need be.

I am mot unique with this arrangement — I know of several CKs who do similar.

Originally Posted by robertablake
I am exactly the same.
You're both clearly part of the segment they're targeting with CK status (presumably spend-based). It kind of makes sense... premium INTL is generally more valuable. But I still have to chuckle a bit when I hear about CKs flying Y, even if it's just domestically. "AA's most valuable customers... yeah, I'm sure we can find 'em a seat in the back" lol.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by metallo
But I still have to chuckle a bit when I hear about CKs flying Y, even if it's just domestically. "AA's most valuable customers... yeah, I'm sure we can find 'em a seat in the back" lol.
Fair enough. And just today (er, yesterday) I was about to fly coach due to a rebook resulting from a “maintenance related” flight cancellation. Then I got a battlefield upgrade, so justice prevailed ;-)
Old Jul 8, 2019, 7:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by robertablake
Group 2 boarding?
sad but true!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.