Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA PHX-LHR how is it doing?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
The second daily BA LHR-PHX was only for last summer, IIRC.
BA started in 2017, but only for two months, it was then brought back in 2018 for the whole summer season. (3x weekly)
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:50 am

Is this the flight the BAEC guys use on their fast track to silver / gold? Or is that a BA operated flight to PHX?
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by thedeeg
Is this the flight the BAEC guys use on their fast track to silver / gold? Or is that a BA operated flight to PHX?
Don’t be silly, why would you fly LHR - PHX direct? 😁

The route of choice at present is OTP (Bucharest)-LHR-JFK-LAX-PHX and back again.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by krispy84

Don’t be silly, why would you fly LHR - PHX direct? 😁

The route of choice at present is OTP (Bucharest)-LHR-JFK-LAX-PHX and back again.
Haha, I should have said is this one of the segments on the fast track to silver / gold.

OTP, or rather Bucharest is a lovely city. I’d love to go back. Sadly, since moving across the pond, the ability to go there for $200 return and a 4* hotel for $75 a night aren’t as attainable.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by justhere
If she flew it last fall pretty sure she didn't fly PHX-LHR on AA.
You are correct - my bad. She flew a codeshare BA in all likelihood.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Cutting LAX is never going to happen. Too many corporate accounts.

But BA's strategy has been to deploy to more and more cities in the US - I think they are in over 25 now. Getting AA to help with the second flight lets BA deploy to another smaller city 4x/week. Since it's a JV, all those BA flights from smaller non-hub cities give fliers the ability to overfly the AA hubs and get to London for their connections to the rest of the UK and the Continent.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by footballfanatic
I wonder if this is for feeder flights between two hubs. I cannot imagine this is point to point
Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the US. The often implied perception that it is some American backwater (actual words used once on the BA board) continues to baffle me. It is a huge city and regionally isolated.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by enviroian
I wonder if BA changed their schedule accordingly. Didn't BA always fly two dailies in the summer months?
After Sep 11, LH dropped PHX-MUC (or was it FRA?) and BA PHX-LHR went down to 4 or 5 times a week and was like that for several years. I remember back in 2004/2005 BA was not every day.
I think it just moved to daily in the last 5-7 years, then as someone else indicated, they added a second seasonal PHX-LHR flight.

From what I've heard from my sources, sales for AA PHX-LHR are doing far better than they expected.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:53 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Exclamation

Folks, please stay on topic.

This thread is about the PHX-LHR route. Whilst discussion about AA business strategy, hubs, and profitability may come up, discussion about individual airline executives is better suited for other threads/fora.

Thanks. /Moderator
Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:05 am

The PHX>LHR route is often used by BA AA as a IROPS backup when sh*t hits the fan on the LAX>LHR flights. They send their best customers to LAX>PHX>LHR versus the old days of LAX>JFK>LHR.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:08 am

And the fact American Express is opening a Centurion Lounge at those PHX Sky Harbor B International gates says a lot.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:16 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by Centurion
And the fact American Express is opening a Centurion Lounge at those PHX Sky Harbor B International gates says a lot.
Sayyy Whaaaa??????

When!? I haven’t heard this yet!!!
Old Apr 27, 2019, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by millionmiler
Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the US. The often implied perception that it is some American backwater (actual words used once on the BA board) continues to baffle me. It is a huge city and regionally isolated.
but as a hub? why is there a constant threat on the board about cutting LAX, ORD, JFK? those are world class cities -- pmAA had a great set of hubs. to now have to swap out for PHX, PHL, and CLT makes me constantly think about changing to DL.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by footballfanatic
but as a hub? why is there a constant threat on the board about cutting LAX, ORD, JFK? those are world class cities -- pmAA had a great set of hubs. to now have to swap out for PHX, PHL, and CLT makes me constantly think about changing to DL.
PHX is the southwestern US equivalent of CLT - a growing city connecting a lot of east-west traffic to the West Coast, more cheaply and efficiently than LAX, and with lower aircraft stage lengths than DFW-West Coast. A lot of traffic flows through PHX to smaller California cities as while the state is a huge US population center, connections in LAX often involve a backtrack, and beyond LAX, SAN and SFO the rest of the state has little longer distance service, save a tad at OAK, SJC, SNA and SMF. For BA’s LHR-PHX and the new AA flight, this allows them to more efficiently route to these cities, as well as offer LA region customers additional connecting options such as BUR, ONT, SBA and SNA.

World class cities often generate higher margin O&D traffic, but capacity, infrastructure and cost issues can make them less profitable to route connecting traffic through.
GTITAN, SJOGuy and Antarius like this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by phlwookie
PHX is the southwestern US equivalent of CLT

World class cities often generate higher margin O&D traffic, but capacity, infrastructure and cost issues can make them less profitable to route connecting traffic through.
Why is this so hard for so many people to understand? This last paragraph could be pasted in response to most of the comments on the NYC thread.

AA is big enough that they can pursue both strategies (high margin OD and cheap connections) at the same time in different cities that fit those strategic niches.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.