Search

AA PHX-LHR how is it doing?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
AA PHX-LHR how is it doing?

Saw a 772 at phx yesterday started scratching my head then realized it was their flight to LHR. I wonder how the loads are on this flight?
Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:39 am

I wonder if this is for feeder flights between two hubs. I cannot imagine this is point to point

why PHX and LAX are both needed anymore...
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
This flight was announced as seasonal and was moved to year round before it even launched.

I assume it's doing well enough to justify that decision.
JDiver, GTITAN, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by footballfanatic
I wonder if this is for feeder flights between two hubs. I cannot imagine this is point to point

why PHX and LAX are both needed anymore...

I sense PHX may be getting a second look/ second wind by Chairman Parker. Would not be surprised to see PHX getting additional OCONUS AA flights, just as CLT has seen a OCONUS increase post merger. Fits with Chairman Parker's strategy of increasing mainline flights where competition is limited. I know the published course of action is to see a reduction at PHX- willing to bet what actually happens is an increase in mainline flights at PHX.

Currently sitting in the Eagles nest at LAX, lots of competition here- plenty of United and Alaska planes filling the gates. Chairman Parker does not like to go head to head, seems like PHX may be a new OCONUS area of growth for AA.

Last edited by GunsOfNavarone; Apr 26, 2019 at 8:39 am
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone
I sense PHX may be second look/ second wind by Chairman Parker. Would not be surprised to see PHX getting additional OCONUS AA flights, just as CLT has seen a OCONUS increase post merger. Fits with Chairman Parker's strategy of increasing mainline flights where competition is limited. I know the published course of action is to see a reduction at PHX- willing to bet what actually happens is an increase in mainline flights at PHX.

Currently sitting in the Eagles nest at LAX, lots of competition here- which is not a course of action Chairman Parker likes to be in.
Except AA has expanded LAX under Parker, including launching SYD, AKL and HKG.

However, I do agree that PHX serves an important role, like CLT as a connection hub. Given the limited space and slots at LAX, AA will route connections through PHX and keep LAX for O&D and routes not served by PHX.
formeraa likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Antarius
Except AA has expanded LAX under Parker, including launching SYD, AKL and HKG.

However, I do agree that PHX serves an important role, like CLT as a connection hub. Given the limited space and slots at LAX, AA will route connections through PHX and keep LAX for O&D and routes not served by PHX.
Look at AAL this morning, down about 2 percent, with DAL, UAL, ALK all up from .5 to 1.5 percent. Chairman Parker sooner than later, will likely make adjustments at LAX. He can't continue to financially underperfom every one of his peers- he leads the worst financial performing US airline.

The recent expansion at LAX will likely be short lived, he can't/ won't long term compete with the multiple competitors at LAX for Asia and Oceanic. PHX will be the benefactor of AAL's financial challenges and to follow route adjustments for Western USA.

Last edited by GunsOfNavarone; Apr 26, 2019 at 9:15 am
Old Apr 26, 2019, 9:24 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

The recent expansion at LAX will likely be short lived, he can't/ won't long term compete with the multiple competitors at LAX for Asia and Oceanic. PHX will be the benefactor of AAL's financial challenges and to follow route adjustments for Western USA.

By that logic, yes AA/DL/AS all should shrink LAX because they can’t compete with the plethora of airlines at LAX and the ULCC.

The LAX market is not about LAX itself. All US3+AS loses money at LAX, but LAX plays a big role in their overall profitability. If one of them decides to dehub LAX then their overall profitability will tank.

AA has made a lot of bad and short sighted decisions since the merger, but LAX is not one of them.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 9:40 am

I am on the tarmac at LAX at rhis moment, and counted 11 parked United planes on the tarmac, not at the gates, many of them narrow body mainline aircraft. This count is seperate than the aircraft parked at united LAX gates and at the maintenance area.

Chairman Parker is not into competing. AAL using LAX as a loss leader to maintain market share is not in his playbook. He will shift resources from LAX to PHX, IMHO, not if, but when. Chairman Parker and his very good friend UNited President Kerby may have already have a mutual understanding. Who knows.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

. Chairman Parker and his very good friend UNited President Kerby may have already have a mutual understanding. Who knows.
I get that you don't like Parker. Heck, you can think he's an imbecile; I certainly think some of his cuts are poorly thought out.

but you think he's going to abdicate his fiduciary responsibilities and commit securities fraud with his friend at UA? That's a wee bit much, dont you think?
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:01 am
Suspended

I am on the tarmac at LAX at rhis moment, and counted 11 parked United planes on the tarmac, not at the gates, many of them narrow body mainline aircraft. This count is seperate than the aircraft parked at united LAX gates and at the maintenance area.

Chairman Parker is not into competing. AAL using LAX as a loss leader to maintain market share is not in his playbook. He will shift resources from LAX to PHX, IMHO, not if, but when. Chairman Parker and his very good friend UNited President Kerby may have already have a mutual understanding. Who knows.
Stop it and leave LAX alone. AA has a good thing going in LAX with a vision, which is rare in today's AA management.
formeraa and Moving Chicane like this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Antarius
This flight was announced as seasonal and was moved to year round before it even launched.

I assume it's doing well enough to justify that decision.
I wonder if BA changed their schedule accordingly. Didn't BA always fly two dailies in the summer months?
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by enviroian
I wonder if BA changed their schedule accordingly. Didn't BA always fly two dailies in the summer months?
The AA flight replaced the summer seasonal 2nd BA flight. BA 288/289 remains unchanged.
enviroian and george77300 like this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
My SIL flew this LAX-PHX-LHR route last fall and said all four flights were full.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by enviroian
The second daily BA LHR-PHX was only for last summer, IIRC.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by AA100k
My SIL flew this LAX-PHX-LHR route last fall and said all four flights were full.
If she flew it last fall pretty sure she didn't fly PHX-LHR on AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.