I知 leaving - I guess AA won't miss me

Old Apr 26, 2019, 5:44 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
As someone that flew both PMAA and PMUS back in their respective days and had top tier status on both, I understand the loyalist PMAA folks frustration. Loyalist PMUA folks felt the same way when PMCO took over and loyalist PMNW folks felt the same way when PMDL took over. It is the nature of things.

Safe Travels.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Bye Felicia.

Personally I fly the airlines that work best for my schedule and budget - miles and points etc are a bonus not a compulsory element of flying.

I know they don't care if I go with another airline. They don't even know that my last trip was on another airline and the trip before that on yet another one.

Perhaps if more people flew without regard to miles etc they might be a lot happier. Why force yourself to spend money with an airline that dosen't fly your route but to do so means you have to take extra flights if you don't have to.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If AA no longer serves the routes you need, then it makes sense to change airlines to one that better meets your need

Your travel patterns perhaps do not fit in with AAs plans of routes to operate - it may lose some passengers who no longer find it works for them, but assumedly it is aiming that it will improve its earnings overall by making the changes

Doesn't really matter what your individual FF earnings are and , indeed, I doubt that it will notice the reduction in travel

The airlines are just businesses running a transportation service - no different to a coach company deciding to drop a route and customers going onto othre coach companies
Originally Posted by GTITAN
As someone that flew both PMAA and PMUS back in their respective days and had top tier status on both, I understand the loyalist PMAA folks frustration. Loyalist PMUA folks felt the same way when PMCO took over and loyalist PMNW folks felt the same way when PMDL took over. It is the nature of things.

Safe Travels.
my one comment on that would be that pre-merger, PMUA folks had already been through the Summer From Hell (for some of us stretched on for a year or more) and significant reductions in service pre-merger for upper elites (loss of 1K rooms and the support those staff offered). So, by the time of the merger we were already pretty exhausted with the situation.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Bye Felicia.

Personally I fly the airlines that work best for my schedule and budget - miles and points etc are a bonus not a compulsory element of flying.

I know they don't care if I go with another airline. They don't even know that my last trip was on another airline and the trip before that on yet another one.

Perhaps if more people flew without regard to miles etc they might be a lot happier. Why force yourself to spend money with an airline that dosen't fly your route but to do so means you have to take extra flights if you don't have to.
Exactly. I知 CK because the sum of my individual trip decisions add up to some level that AA values. I have about as much loyalty to AA as they have to me. It痴 a business calculation for me, same as it is for them. I will (and have) take trips not on AA when they involve fewer connections (even in ATL!) or better flight timing.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:14 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Admirals Club Member, HHonors
Originally Posted by BlatheringPenguin
I will (and have) take trips not on AA when they involve fewer connections
Yup, as ex DCA I simply take United to DEN because I have no desire to double my trip time with a connection in CLT or ORD. Miss out on the miles, maybe miss a status mark... oh well, them's the breaks for convenience and honestly I'm happier for it. AA still gets much of my business but I'm not married to them.

I guess the best way to fly, for me, is to just pick a routing and schedule and whichever mainline airline fits that the best, I'll take that first. Priority to non-stops and desired timetables. I'll generally skip the LCC but it pays to check - sometimes Southwest has dirt cheap options with a superior schedule.

Last edited by kahdgar; Apr 26, 2019 at 6:23 am
Old Apr 26, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage PltPro, AMEX Platinum
I don稚 like how AA has cut some direct flights I have and continue to use. I am loyal because I am at 812k and feel if I leave it痴 pointless. I do have a good percentage of clearance and like using miles for cx flights. I also enjoy earning for paid JAL flights. Other than that I have to always connect in recent years and it痴 a pain.

Ny based as well.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
I started to fly what ever airline makes the most sense for the particular trip in business class. Best decision in long time. This year will also change my collection for oneworld to BA, I can get the 4 flights on BA metal easy enough and the value of AA miles has gone so far down for me that Avios is better. I am past 3 million miles for aadvantage, 12 years as EXP in a row. No more. I'll fly AA only when it makes sense, but for example this weekend Taipei to Dallas I'll be taking China airlines + delta combination, AA's pricing was over $1500 more.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 7:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I switched to DL about 1.5 years ago. While it's true that Skymiles are close to worthless, the actual product is pretty nice.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
I used to be loyal to AA, until the pmUS management took over and implemented their vision. I book whichever airline offers the best schedule at the best price. I prioritize non-stop over a connection. Sometimes, I'll book business class or pay for extra legroom seats. So far, I'm enjoying being a free agent.
JoeWoodstock likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Austin787
I used to be loyal to AA, until the pmUS management took over and implemented their vision. I book whichever airline offers the best schedule at the best price. I prioritize non-stop over a connection. Sometimes, I'll book business class or pay for extra legroom seats. So far, I'm enjoying being a free agent.
pmUS management has visions of how to run merged AA? No dear, it has been proved from the B787 refit and Oasis project that they have no such thing called vision. The only vision they have is LAX expansion but that is not turning out to be whatever they dreamt to be. PmUS management continue to think they are managing an airline on the size of US Airways. They do not know how to run a global airline in AAs size. The only one who has some vision left AA to UA.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by chongcao
the size of US Airways.
I think you meant to say America West

JoeWoodstock and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
It happens. Over the last 30 years, my primary airline loyalty has shifted many times. Started with United because that's what my boss at the time flew. Moved to Northwest, then to American when I moved back to Chicago. Went back to United when Aarpey retired the F-100s and filled the eastbound routes from ORD to secondary cities with 140s while United rolled out F on their 175s. Remembered why I hated United and went offf to Southwest for a few years when my work flying was all shorthaul. Back to American for four years and now Delta for the last two.

If you are not reevaluating your purchasing relationships every six months, you're quite possibly losing out. That goes for airline, hotel, and car rental.
Daze, GTITAN and no1cub17 like this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I'm not going to blame AA for retiring the F-100s. They were absolute maintenance pigs.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
The problem is they are filling planes. Until those planes start going out half empty, nothing is going to change and everything could potentially get worse, if that’s possible (Oasis). I spent $25k on AA last year but my benefits are kind of useless. This year, I’m dividing my time between AA and DL. I’ve taken four DL TATL flights in D1 and honestly, I haven’t noticed much change. The prices for J are the same as AA, the food isn’t much better and their FF program is lousy. Everything is just mediocre now, no matter who you fly.

Andriyko and gmt4 like this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
The days of loyalty are over!. Flying a certain carrier for me is based upon these criteria:
1. Is it the most direct route to where I want to go?
2. Does it offer me the hard product I care about, i.e. FC for HK, LHR. Lie flats for TPAC and TATL.
3. Times that work for me.
4. Pricing.
That's the business component of air travel for most people who travel for business vs. Leisure.
On a personal side, dealing with airline personnel is very hit and miss. I"m based in LA and the staff is understaffed and tired of dealing with daily IRROPs. Its gotta be hard to deal with people trying to go from A-Z and frustrated that they can't get there and that AA is not honest about why?
So until I can afford to fly private, I look at travel in this manner using these criteria. Do I wish it would be or could be better? Of course, who wouldn't? Would I run my business the way the airlines do? No chance. I'd be broke in no time. Expecting great customer service is like playing the lottery. Someone wins, but it never seems to be me. At least I get a free meal in coach sitting in an exit row aisle. Im sure one day, someone will be able to pay for that seat, and when that happens I hope I'll fly someone else.
moondog likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: AA
My base is SFO and most of my flights are to JFK and LHR. I have enjoyed my experiences with AA and while being platinum hasn't afforded me an electronic upgrade in years, I like the service, the planes and when I can't sit in business, the new coach is pretty nice. I do wish they had better service to west coast destinations and won't fly them to LA, but net/net I am a happy customer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.