Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I知 leaving - I guess AA won't miss me

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2019, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Perhaps if more people flew without regard to miles etc they might be a lot happier. Why force yourself to spend money with an airline that dosen't fly your route but to do so means you have to take extra flights if you don't have to.
This is more of a general comment than AA specific (since I rarely fly revenue flights on AA so I don't have status) but the main reason that I pay attention to miles (the status kind, not the redeemable kind) is because the value of status makes it worthwhile. Flying economy without status is truly a horrible experience. I want to be able to select E+ seats for free. Paying to select E+ seats on every flight adds up quickly (like, $100+ per direction transcon -- it can double the price of a ticket).

For F travel, it matters less, but usually you get some added flexibility around making changes (different policies on different airlines, but most offer some sort of free SDC at least; AS offers waived change fees outright; AA offers free changes or waived redeposit fees on award tickets). Also you tend to get treated better in case of IRROPS, which is usually irrelevant, until the one time that it's really, really relevant.

Picking an airline for redeemable miles is a sucker's game for the most part, so I agree with you there. Ever since most airlines have gone to revenue-based RDM it's basically worthless (*) -- you can get a lot more miles by churning credit cards, doing MS on credit cards, or through various promotions. You can spend $50k a year with AA and I'll still get more AA RDM than you from Citi without setting foot on a plane. Of course you will be CK so you will be treated better

* AS is the exception here -- they are still distance based and there are routes where the RDM have significant value compared to the cost of the ticket, especially when stacked with certain promos.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 7:41 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
People said it earlier in this thread but the airlines are giving the people what they wanted. They want to fly across the country for less than $300. I have to assume that frequent business flyers aren't the majority of their passengers. So airlines can't afford to cater just to that group despite what everyone would want.
This is the great thing about our country...and most I suppose, if you don't like AA you don't have to fly them. You have the option of choosing whoever you please based on their product and pricing. I despise AA but if the price is right and the timing is convenient, I have no problem choosing them over my much preferred Delta. As long as we exercise that right, prices will remain competitive and airlines will try to top each other with improvements.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:32 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Watching the very slow, painful downward spiral of AA under PMUS leadership is quite unfortunate, but not surprising. Parker, et al took US and flew it into the ground when they merged it with HP. Today, AA is a tale of two airlines. By and large, their TATL and TPAC premium product is goof and competitive with DL and UA. The domestic product is a hot mess and their customer services (sans the EXP desk which is lovely) is absolutely in the toilet. Actually, that's kind of insulting to the toilet.
I have to very much disagree that Parker and Co. drove US into the ground when HP and US married. Both airlines were mega regionals and neither were doing spectacularly well independently. Together they became a nationwide carrier with significant synergy and force. Indeed, HP+US really was a 1+1=3 marriage. Good enough that in 2012, US was solvent and AA was in bankruptcy.....
Antarius, AA100k and Uzzar like this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I have to very much disagree that Parker and Co. drove US into the ground when HP and US married. Both airlines were mega regionals and neither were doing spectacularly well independently. Together they became a nationwide carrier with significant synergy and force. Indeed, HP+US really was a 1+1=3 marriage. Good enough that in 2012, US was solvent and AA was in bankruptcy.....
According to news report I read on WSJ, the HP US merger was a mess.

the only reason AA declared bankruptcy was to merge with US by taking 300 new aircraft orders.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by AA100k
The problem is they are filling planes.
Planes are overbooked completely full a week in advance - I've had to take connections on last minute tickets because the nonstops are zeroed. And
every flight I've boarded in the past two weeks have required 4-6 volunteers, with voucher offers of $800-975. This summer is going to be a mess.
JoeWoodstock likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by oopsz
Planes are overbooked completely full a week in advance - I've had to take connections on last minute tickets because the nonstops are zeroed. And
every flight I've boarded in the past two weeks have required 4-6 volunteers, with voucher offers of $800-975. This summer is going to be a mess.
In other words, a good time to go flying if you've got the time to be "inconvenienced" by an overbooking scenario . I for one, wouldn't mind catching a later outbound flight on some of the $7 award tickets I've got with UA if it means I'll get several hundred in flight coupons.

-James
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by hmflyer
Yeah, PDBs are at the discretion of the Flight Attendants. So while you will almost always get one on American Eagle, very hit or miss on mainline.
I disagree. On 17 flights so far this year, with most of them mainline, PDBs were offered on every one. It is the norm, not the exception IME. That痴 been pretty consistent for me over the past couple years as well, ex-DCA and connecting mostly thru PHL, DFW, or CLT; so a fair sampling.

Cheers!
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chongcao
According to news report I read on WSJ, the HP US merger was a mess.
As someone who flew US 200K+ miles each year during the HP-US merger, I disagree. It was nowhere near a mess. Nor was the US-AA merger. Mergers always have some challenges, but I wouldn't classify those as being a mess.
AA100k likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by oopsz
I believe this is also partly due to the grounding of the 737-MAX.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by Austin787
I think pmUS management has a vision: to turn AA into the world's largest ULCC, and Oasis project is just the latest move to accomplish that. Doesn't seem to be working, given USdbaAA's underwhelming financial performance and low satisfaction scores.
Then they should bite the bullet and do it. Stop spending money on Flagship Lounges, etc. and decide what you want to be when you grow up! It's not what I want, but it would at least be a coherent strategy.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by Antarius
they're only profitable due to Barclays and Citi.
And baggage fees and cargo.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 6:03 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by j2simpso
In other words, a good time to go flying if you've got the time to be "inconvenienced" by an overbooking scenario . I for one, wouldn't mind catching a later outbound flight on some of the $7 award tickets I've got with UA if it means I'll get several hundred in flight coupons.

-James
Move to Mammoth. United was at $1,800 plus hotel to not take the one flight a day to LAX (the airport only has a TOTAL of one flight a day out).
Old Apr 27, 2019, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by footballfanatic
whats wrong with AA's financials?
They池e a financial services corp. masquerading as an airline.
Spiff, enviroian and Antarius like this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I was US CP many year leading up to the merger. There was a time when US was a fairly nice airline to fly. Was it an east coast centric airline? Yup. But it was an airline that by and large knew how to serve business travelers and knew how to provide decent service. Parker got a hold of US and things went south pretty darn quick. Meal service got scaled back, seat pitch was reduced, seat in F were ripped out. IFE was removed. Power ports were yanked out. Morale swirled out and the new US became an airline that made WN look like an attractive option for business travel.

In exchange, we got PHX as a hub...imagine my joy. Sure the route network may have improved but the hard and the soft products suffered immensely. Five years in to the US-AA merger and Parker still has plane in the air flying transcon routes without so much as a power port. He still has widebodies in the air where tablets are passed out for IFE in the J cabin.

All Parker seems to do is fly decent airlines into the ground. And, to keep this on topic, he doesn't seem to miss his HVCs when they leave.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
All Parker seems to do is fly decent airlines into the ground. And, to keep this on topic, he doesn't seem to miss his HVCs when they leave.
except AA was the bankrupt one, with stellar leadership over the recent years such as Arpey, who rolled out NGBC, a spectacularly ...... product from the moment it was announced.

this is like the United "bring back the Tulip" revisionist history stuff. If the old AA was so above LUS and Parker, they wouldnt be here.
Cledaybuck and Uzzar like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.