Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"If you are connecting on the following flights please come forward first"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines

My lax-phx flight was delayed (again) yesterday and didn't arrive almost until 2 hours after the scheduled arrival. This time they couldn't find a pilot ().

When we landed at sky harbor the flight attendant came on the horn and no less than 6 times said "please folks those who aren't connecting please let those with tight connections to come forward". When we hit the gate and the chime went off the flight attendant again said "those going to xxx cities please come forward, others please remain seated".

We've all heard this message and back in my UA days I posted a similar thread there. This was the only time I remained seated due to the stern tone of the flight attendants tone. Since AA is an operationally inept and derelict airline, my flights are always late and it's not my problem AA screwed up again (excluding wx delays). Get your act together AA then maybe you won't have to make those announcements as much.

going for great!
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by enviroian
This was the only time I remained seated due to the stern tone of the flight attendants tone. Since AA is an operationally inept and derelict airline, my flights are always late and it's not my problem AA screwed up again (excluding wx delays).
So you're one of those people who normally gets up regardless of what the FA says?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
DYKWII?
JonNYC, cedric, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
I've actually had this happen 2 or 3 times this year. If people listen it actually works quite well and a handful of people rush up to make their connections. Honestly, it didn't add more than 2-3 minutes. The problem happens when people don't listen and then people try to get through which seems to clog up the aisles even more. The best though was the one where the FA asked people to wait and then allow F to deplane first (since we were leaving from the row 12 or whatever it is door. Yeah, no one listened to that one.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Not your problem?? Geez, as a matter of habit, I don't get up and out until I can do so without blocking or cutting right in front of someone ready to move. Of course, there is always someone in the aisle or two behind me that cuts out, blocks the aisle and takes a full 30 secs to take down their carry on and get their stuff together, so I rarely wait long. It's been a few years since I actually had a tight connection (I am on a lucky streak with near on-time flights!), but if I am in that position, people like you may very well delay my arrival home by a full day.

If you want to 'stick it to AA', then it would be better to do so by choosing another airline than to do so through inconveniencing your fellow human cargo.
JonNYC, clbish, chrisny2 and 8 others like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
In situations like this one - I always get the impression a few lucky connectors make it off before the crush. Maybe one family or so. And it's hard to disrupt a closest to the door get off first order. We've all been on both sides of the coin.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
It seems like calling for people who are connecting on specific flight numbers puts a little reality into the situation... like maybe those flights are being held a bit for the folks connecting, or at least someone has done some research to determine they can still make the connection if they hurry (which may or may not actually be the case).

Just the blanket 'we are late as usual so please let people who have connections leave first' has gotten about as predictable as a credit card pitch, so I don't think people pay much attention.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by MarkOK
Not your problem?? Geez, as a matter of habit, I don't get up and out until I can do so without blocking or cutting right in front of someone ready to move. Of course, there is always someone in the aisle or two behind me that cuts out, blocks the aisle and takes a full 30 secs to take down their carry on and get their stuff together, so I rarely wait long. It's been a few years since I actually had a tight connection (I am on a lucky streak with near on-time flights!), but if I am in that position, people like you may very well delay my arrival home by a full day.

If you want to 'stick it to AA', then it would be better to do so by choosing another airline than to do so through inconveniencing your fellow human cargo.
Wait, you don’t exit your row while people behind you are getting off? Why not?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Here I was, clicking to agree with OP that it's a great idea to prioritize passengers with tight connections... Except apparently it was a 'whine' thread over something most of us think are useful.

Ignoring this request is like not pulling over for an ambulance because "it isn't my spouse in the back".
BearX220, JonNYC, AAway and 11 others like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by kabroui
Just the blanket 'we are late as usual so please let people who have connections leave first' has gotten about as predictable as a credit card pitch, so I don't think people pay much attention.
What amazes me is the couple of times I’ve heard the FA request to allow those with tight connections to exit first ... when we’ve arrived at the gate ahead of schedule! Not sure if it was because someone missed their original flight (not always clear as no IRROPS apparent), or just a response to infrequent flyers pestering the FA about perceived “short” but legal MCT.

It’s difficult to accommodate those with tight connections because often they are in window seats so the aisle person still needs to get and out of the way. Should seat assignments be based on connection times? O&D traffic at the back of the plane, then plot everyone else out with a complex algorithm of next flight boarding time, distance to next gate, and a factor for speed/agility (pre-boards/families). Should familiarity with airport also be a factor?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by SamOF

Wait, you don’t exit your row while people behind you are getting off? Why not?
Because if people are ready to go and are moving down the aisle, I feel absolutely no need to step out in front of them and make them wait for me to get out (unless I have a tight connection, of course). I think there are too many divas out there that seem to delight in holding back a crowd. I get up and out when there is a break in the traffic. (btw, I am a window seat traveler)
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Goog on AA and the FA on this flight.

Nothing is perfect, but if an extra 2-3 people made their connections because a few passengers who were not in a hurry waited 30 seconds, that is a good thing.

I have never understood why people get so bothered about these simple requests. If one has a tight connection or an otherwise tight schedule, just hop up and head off the aircraft. If not, it's another passenger you are benefiting, not AA that you are punishing, if your time is so valuable that you have to block them.
BearX220, cedric, TWA884 and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The flight was 2 hours late and there were still people with the possibility of making their connections???
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by Often1
Goog on AA and the FA on this flight.

Nothing is perfect, but if an extra 2-3 people made their connections because a few passengers who were not in a hurry waited 30 seconds, that is a good thing.

I have never understood why people get so bothered about these simple requests. If one has a tight connection or an otherwise tight schedule, just hop up and head off the aircraft. If not, it's another passenger you are benefiting, not AA that you are punishing, if your time is so valuable that you have to block them.
If anyone not in a hurry just sits down for an extra minute it is typically always enough time for those who are in a hurry to get up and off the plane. The people with tight connections are usually up and grabbing bags quickly. And, if you don't have a connection but maybe a tight meeting (as I sometimes have on a delayed flight where I have a meeting that I'm in and out that same day) just get up and go. But I can say if you truly can spare a minute then just sit tight and enjoy some good karma.
clbish, chrisny2, trooper and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
It might be you one day that needs this.

Could on time performance be improved then sure it can but to deny someone else on a tight connection a slightly quicker exit with literally no harm to you seems to be rather curmudgeonly.
trooper and downinit like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.