Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

I booked a hotel with AA points, no confirmation? (to merge)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

I never received any confirmation email that I could find—from AA or the hotel.

Is this typical?

I know it’s booked but a confirmation would be nice!
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Sah02010
I never received any confirmation email that I could find—from AA or the hotel.

Is this typical?

I know it’s booked but a confirmation would be nice!
How do you know it is in fact booked? Can you bring the reservation up on the hotel’s website? Can the hotel or chain’s customer service find it? Have your miles been deducted? How long has it been since you claimed the award?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
How do you know it is in fact booked? Can you bring the reservation up on the hotel’s website? Can the hotel or chain’s customer service find it? Have your miles been deducted? How long has it been since you claimed the award?
Miles were deducted and when I look at account history it shows the transaction in vague terms with 88k being deducted, but never any follow up email.

I suppose I should call the lodge myself. It has been over a week since booking.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Miles were deducted and when I look at account history it shows the transaction in vague terms with 88k being deducted, but never any follow up email.

I suppose I should call the lodge myself. It has been over a week since booking.
After a week, I’d certainly call. The property, the chain or AA, but the property would be a single call if they acknowledge the booking.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
After a week, I’d certainly call. The property, the chain or AA, but the property would be a single call if they acknowledge the booking.
Thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
Last year I booked a hotel in Vegas with AA points. I knew the trip was confirmed, as I printed off the confirmation page, and the points were deducted. When I got there, the hotel had my reservation but no record of it being any kind of award stay. I started searching through my email on my phone (I had not brought the printed confirmation), and sure enough, I could not find that email. Since I was with my wife and kids, I went ahead and just paid for the hotel stay and planned to work though the points issue later.

I was was afraid that I might not get it resolved, since I apparently did not have proof of the transaction. After several calls, several redirects, and several weeks, I did get all my points back.

The main thing to come from this... one of the CS reps, when I asked her why I did not have the email, suggested I check through my junk mail. I did, and there it was. She said it happens all the time.

Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beachfun71
Last year I booked a hotel in Vegas with AA points. I knew the trip was confirmed, as I printed off the confirmation page, and the points were deducted. When I got there, the hotel had my reservation but no record of it being any kind of award stay. I started searching through my email on my phone (I had not brought the printed confirmation), and sure enough, I could not find that email. Since I was with my wife and kids, I went ahead and just paid for the hotel stay and planned to work though the points issue later.

I was was afraid that I might not get it resolved, since I apparently did not have proof of the transaction. After several calls, several redirects, and several weeks, I did get all my points back.

The main thing to come from this... one of the CS reps, when I asked her why I did not have the email, suggested I check through my junk mail. I did, and there it was. She said it happens all the time.

so I found the booking pdf that confirms paid in full. I called the lodge where I booked and they don’t see I have a reservation, so I decided to reach out to American about how to have a room guaranteed. Never have booked a room w points before. Your story is a bit anxiety inducing.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
so I found the booking pdf that confirms paid in full. I called the lodge where I booked and they don’t see I have a reservation, so I decided to reach out to American about how to have a room guaranteed. Never have booked a room w points before. Your story is a bit anxiety inducing.
Chase UR warns you that they sometimes book rooms but don't supply the customer name to the property until close to check-in. This has not been true on the two bookings I have made and I don't know how AA work but you may just have run into this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MADPhil
Chase UR warns you that they sometimes book rooms but don't supply the customer name to the property until close to check-in. This has not been true on the two bookings I have made and I don't know how AA work but you may just have run into this.
ah, interesting. That had crossed my mind! I’ll update once I hear from AA.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The hotel may not see that they have a reservation in your name until very close in to your stay dates but they will have a record of a booking by AA (or whoever books on their behalf). This is quite common with non direct bookings.

I once had an Expedia booking with a hotel and whilst the hotel could see an Expedia booking on their system using the Expedia reference i gave them it wasn’t a booking with my name attached to it, it was soon sorted out though,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.