Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

International J Anytime Award - Connecting in CLT, ORD or PHL

Old Apr 23, 19, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

We booked an anytime J award for a May 13th flight going from PHX to DUB, connecting in ORD. I am wondering if this is our best option. The other two connection options available are CLT & PHL. Any real differences that would make you chose one over the other ?

Thanks
Old Apr 23, 19, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Well ... CLT does not have particularly premium lounges. While our ACs are nice, there is no FL Lounge like in ORD or there is no BA Lounge like in PHL if that makes any difference.

Safe Travels
Old Apr 23, 19, 6:17 pm

I think you made the right choice, because ORD is the only one of these with a Flagship Lounge.
Old Apr 23, 19, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, the lounge is a plus.
Old Apr 23, 19, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Slightly longer flying time from ORD may also let you sleep a little while longer.
thunderlounge likes this.
Old Apr 23, 19, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
All good points listed above. Id add that the plane type may matter to you as well. The Dreamliner is on the ORD route. The other two are on the A330. Personally I prefer the 787. If it were me Id choose the route through ORD. It also takes off and lands later giving you a better chance for sleep (in addition to the longer flight).

You may want to review the 787 seat options since there are some known seat movement issues in J.
DCJoe1 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 19, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
+1 ORD for FL access alone. ACs in PHL and CLT are a total dump in comparison.
Old Apr 24, 19, 2:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jsmith3049 View Post
We booked an anytime J award for a May 13th flight going from PHX to DUB, connecting in ORD. I am wondering if this is our best option. The other two connection options available are CLT & PHL. Any real differences that would make you chose one over the other ?

Thanks
For my TATL trips, I find misconnecting at ORD works out better for me than misconnecting at PHL or CLT even as ORD has its own set of problems. Just something to consider beside the lounge issues.
Old Apr 24, 19, 5:20 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
OP, I hope that you booked the later EI flight out of ORD (EI124) since the early flight is impossible to sleep on.

Also, the AA lounge at ORD is in T3 and the EI flights leave from T5 with sub-par lounges. There is AIRSIDE bus service if you seek it out carefully. Landside connection stinks.
Old Apr 24, 19, 5:32 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by roberto99 View Post
OP, I hope that you booked the later EI flight out of ORD (EI124) since the early flight is impossible to sleep on.

Also, the AA lounge at ORD is in T3 and the EI flights leave from T5 with sub-par lounges. There is AIRSIDE bus service if you seek it out carefully. Landside connection stinks.
This is AA from ORD-DUB. AA miles can't be used to book flights on EI, and it's an AAnytime award which is only available on AA metal flights to begin with.
Old Apr 24, 19, 9:03 am

Agree with the presence of the FL at ORD being a key factor.

The only thing I would note is that routing through the LUS hubs does get you into DUB 3-4 hours earlier if that is of value to you. The CLT flight arrives at 0730 and the PHL flight at 0855, whereas the ORD flight doesn't get in until 1135.

Personally I like LUS hubs, the A330, old 757s, and early arrivals into Europe, so I'd be tempted to take a CLT routing, but I'm a bit odd like that.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Apr 24, 19, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyInORD View Post
All good points listed above. I’d add that the plane type may matter to you as well. The Dreamliner is on the ORD route. The other two are on the A330. Personally I prefer the 787. If it were me I’d choose the route through ORD. It also takes off and lands later giving you a better chance for sleep (in addition to the longer flight).

You may want to review the 787 seat options since there are some known seat movement issues in J.
Bolded was exactly my reasoning for going through ORD vs. CLT flying to BCN. Figured I would get around 1.5 hours more sleep because of 10 PM (11 PM Eastern ) departure vs. 8:20 PM eastern departure out of CLT. I'd rather lose 2.5 hours of sleep-deprived time on the ground on the first day and get better sleep and enjoy the majority of that first day better.

I don't normally care much about lounges, but your timing would be almost exactly the same as mine, with an arrival into ORD around 7:30 PM and the long haul departure at 10 PM, so lines up nicely with dinner time. Allows you to eat a solid, unrushed meal on the ground, and then get on the plane ready to hopefully sleep shortly after takeoff. Personally I enjoy eating on the ground quite a bit more, especially if it will lead to (hopefully) more sleep on the plane.

Last edited by DCJoe1; Apr 24, 19 at 9:32 am Reason: Added a bit
Old Apr 24, 19, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by DCJoe1 View Post
Bolded was exactly my reasoning for going through ORD vs. CLT flying to BCN. Figured I would get around 1.5 hours more sleep because of 10 PM (11 PM Eastern ) departure vs. 8:20 PM eastern departure out of CLT. I'd rather lose 2.5 hours of sleep-deprived time on the ground on the first day and get better sleep and enjoy the majority of that first day better.

I don't normally care much about lounges, but your timing would be almost exactly the same as mine, with an arrival into ORD around 7:30 PM and the long haul departure at 10 PM, so lines up nicely with dinner time. Allows you to eat a solid, unrushed meal on the ground, and then get on the plane ready to hopefully sleep shortly after takeoff. Personally I enjoy eating on the ground quite a bit more, especially if it will lead to (hopefully) more sleep on the plane.
Joe has convinced me that you should fly out of ORD. When flying J, as much time in the 'good' seat as possible
DCJoe1 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 19, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. All good points. We originally picked the ORD flight because it left later than the other two. We will stick with ORD.
DCJoe1 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: