Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Losing Assigned Seats? (Family w/ children, equipment change)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losing Assigned Seats? (Family w/ children, equipment change)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Dealing with this for BDL-LAX tomorrow, except with a 738 reconfig. AA blames it on the MAX 8, but I've seen many times where they change the 738 config on a dime.

- Booked 8A-E when I booked the tickets in January (old 738 config)
- About 2 hours ago, flight changed to an aircraft with the new 738 config, reassigned us to 10A,10B,8C (bulkhead),10D,10E
- My wife is now separate in 8C
- System won't let me check-in because it shows that she's in a bulkhead and can't with minors on the reservation

Got an "oh well" from the agent and to ask at the airport. They said they would be happy to give me a seat in row 20 where there's 5 together open.

So glad I put all of those miles on AA last year...

Hoping the person in 10C will swap
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:32 am

Angry

Originally Posted by BDLMSYDL
Dealing with this for BDL-LAX tomorrow, except with a 738 reconfig. AA blames it on the MAX 8, but I've seen many times where they change the 738 config on a dime.

- About 2 hours ago, flight changed to an aircraft with the new 738 config, reassigned us to 10A,10B,8C (bulkhead),10D,10E
- System won't let me check-in because it shows that she's in a bulkhead and can't with minors on the reservation

Got an "oh well" from the agent and to ask at the airport. They said they would be happy to give me a seat in row 20 where there's 5 together open.

Oh wow!
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:56 am

Why can't you be in the bulkhead with minors? I have never heard of that before.

Exit row is the only restriction I know of; no minors on the itinerary.

Assuming it is not an air marshal, swapping 10C for 8C should be an easy trade.
(Air marshal would be one of the few reasons I can think of for the computer to make that move and break you up like that.)

Can you move the person in 10E to 10F? If yes, you might want to do it. It would give you additional trade bait... moving from 10E middle to 8C bulkhead is a no brainer.
(And if 10C switches with your wife, 10E moving to 10F would be a good trade as well.)
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life

My wife would be thrilled to have a seat away from me and the kids!
HofstraJet and wrp96 like this.
Old May 1, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Sorry AA doesn't see it that way. AA sees it as you "reserved" 6 seats together-you didn't pay for six seat together. That is the reality today of airlines monetizing the a/c.
How does one purchase a seat versus reserve a seat? What's the difference?
Old May 1, 2019, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by scottsam66
How does one purchase a seat versus reserve a seat? What's the difference?
AA (and all airlines) are pretty clear about seat reservations... they are subject to change.

From AA:

What happens to my seat if there is a schedule or equipment change?
"American makes every effort to reseat passengers in the same seats. When this isn’t possible, we’ll attempt to seat you in a like seat. We appreciate your cooperation when special circumstances won’t allow us to reseat you in your original assigned seat."

And from the CoC:
"When there are changes that affect your trip, we'll try to contact you in advance and move you to a similar seat, though we can't make any guarantees."
Old May 1, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by Global321
AA (and all airlines) are pretty clear about seat reservations... they are subject to change.

From AA:

What happens to my seat if there is a schedule or equipment change?
"American makes every effort to reseat passengers in the same seats. When this isn’t possible, we’ll attempt to seat you in a like seat. We appreciate your cooperation when special circumstances won’t allow us to reseat you in your original assigned seat."

And from the CoC:
"When there are changes that affect your trip, we'll try to contact you in advance and move you to a similar seat, though we can't make any guarantees."
You didn't answer my question. Previous poster referenced a difference between reserving seats, and purchasing the specific seats. I'm trying to find out if it is possible to purchase a specific seat. Is it? He seemed to think so, unless he was being ironic.
Old May 1, 2019, 2:42 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
You didn't answer my question. Previous poster referenced a difference between reserving seats, and purchasing the specific seats. I'm trying to find out if it is possible to purchase a specific seat. Is it? He seemed to think so, unless he was being ironic.
Seat Assignments are not guaranteed.

From MCE terms and conditions:
Paid seat purchases reserve a seat within the Main Cabin area. While every attempt is made to fulfill a specific seat, seat assignments are not guaranteed.
From seat selection terms and conditions:
We make every effort to ensure you get your chosen seat, but seat assignments are not guaranteed.
Old May 1, 2019, 5:04 pm

No. One cannot purchase a specific seat.
Old May 2, 2019, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

There are no restrictions on sitting in a bulkhead if there is a minor in the booking, unless it is also an exit row, as the restriction only applies to exit row seating.
Old May 2, 2019, 5:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
AA allows you to pay for the privilege of "selecting" certain seats, including paying additional for a MCE seat. However, seats whether "purchased" or simply one of the available ones for no additional money are not guaranteed. I would assume in an a/c switch those that paid for the "privilege" of "selecting" a seat, or the seat selected based upon status level, would have a better chance of retaining a like seat. Based upon the stories on FT that is not the case 100%, depending upon AA's somewhat less than robust software.
Old May 2, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by Beachfun71

My wife would be thrilled to have a seat away from me and the kids!
Mine would agree as well, especially when she gets J and I put my sky entertainer hat on for our tiny flyers in Y.
Old May 2, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
My empathy to the OP. Something that wasn't such a big deal turned into an unpleasant situation. AA is an incredibly customer unfriendly company at the moment.

I've been moved, out of MCE, and had AA refuse to put me back. Yes, I paid for MCE. "Well the price increased. So we can refund your $25, you can pay the new price of $80, and you'll be back in MCE." This is not AA Policy, but I've had this happen 2 times now. It's frustrating. I escalated to supervisors even. Paraphasing one representative said this "it makes no sense, but my supervisor said I cannot help you. If I were you I'd write AA." The second time this happened I did write AA, and got the same canned BS the OP did!

I'm currently in MCE (paid) on a a332 on a domestic flight, and have a feeling I am going to get booted back to main cabin if it switches to a 767. I paid $40 for MCE and currently it's $75--I cannot even switch seats without paying:
Old May 2, 2019, 11:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by airb330
My empathy to the OP. Something that wasn't such a big deal turned into an unpleasant situation. AA is an incredibly customer unfriendly company at the moment.

I've been moved, out of MCE, and had AA refuse to put me back. Yes, I paid for MCE. "Well the price increased. So we can refund your $25, you can pay the new price of $80, and you'll be back in MCE." This is not AA Policy, but I've had this happen 2 times now. It's frustrating. I escalated to supervisors even. Paraphasing one representative said this "it makes no sense, but my supervisor said I cannot help you. If I were you I'd write AA." The second time this happened I did write AA, and got the same canned BS the OP did!

I'm currently in MCE (paid) on a a332 on a domestic flight, and have a feeling I am going to get booted back to main cabin if it switches to a 767. I paid $40 for MCE and currently it's $75--I cannot even switch seats without paying:

That's total bs. If you've paid for a MCE you should retain a MCE for equipment switches and not be forced to pay a difference. This would be like AA cancelling a flight, rerouting you and claiming you owed more money because the reroute was a more expensive fare than you purchased. Maybe someone on FT can give you an email address of someone in authority.
Old May 2, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
That's total bs. If you've paid for a MCE you should retain a MCE for equipment switches and not be forced to pay a difference. This would be like AA cancelling a flight, rerouting you and claiming you owed more money because the reroute was a more expensive fare than you purchased. Maybe someone on FT can give you an email address of someone in authority.
It is what it is. I reached out to a FT member before to ensure it isn't policy, but it's happened to me twice. Hopefully not on this upcoming flight to SFO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.