Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Losing Assigned Seats? (Family w/ children, equipment change)

Losing Assigned Seats? (Family w/ children, equipment change)

Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Trust me, no one, especially other passengers seated next to your minor children, wants you to be separated. I have volunteered, when asked, to change seats so that families can be together. Sounds like the GA could have done more to, at the least, get you a bit closer. Most of your fellow passengers will be reasonable when asked.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
What flight or routing was this? Maybe an Oasis swap issue here?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by econometrics
What flight or routing was this? Maybe an Oasis swap issue here?
LGA to MIA (April 17)
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:53 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by mendel
LGA to MIA (April 17)
This was the launch route for AA's 737MAX, and most of the daily frequencies were on MAX aircraft. Once the plane was grounded, different aircraft, with different seat configurations, were swapped in.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
So, since you had 6 seats, and two of your kids are lap children, did you end up with 2 seats going unused?

*edit - just re-read and saw that you have six kids. Thats a lot of miles to earn and spend to get on that flight!
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Beachfun71
So, since you had 6 seats, and two of your kids are lap children, did you end up with 2 seats going unused?
4 kids in seats, 2 adults in seats with lap infants equals 6
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Jeebus. Certain agents that I've met hate working certain flights (MCO being the main one, SAN, MIA, and LAX during vacation season) owing to large families. I remember this happening to me several years ago when I was traveling with my two sons to California - one was about 12 and the other 10 at the time. We busted out connection in CLT and got put on another flight which was filled to the gills in coach but moderately empty in first. I had opted not to upgrade owing to the fact that I could only upgrade one child with ease - there were plenty of seats which was frustrating....

Agent tried to shuffle us around but was having issues. Then she noted that I was plat, and asked why I hadn't asked to upgrade. I mentioned that there were three of us and I couldn't upgrade two companions. Agent furrowed her brow, and asked if I still wanted to use some of my stickers. I mentioned yes. She instantly upgraded me and one son with stickers and comped the second upgrade companion. Probably the only time where I've been able to upgrade both kids with only one elite on hand.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: Global Mercenary
Tough situation for OP. Been there before with 2 kids and wife all booked in first class and they still managed to bungle the seating. What's even more concerning is how unwilling fellow passengers are to swap seats for the kid's sake. In above scenario, I am sure a stranger could have ended up getting an aisle for window swap and at least put the two oldest kids together. I have found basic courtesy to be dead in most public transports these days. Go ride any subway or city bus and see how often young healthy men get up and offer their seats to the elderly, pregnant, etc. It never happens. What's worse is it ends up making you feel like a fool for doing so.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
To be very clear, there are no DOT rules or policies relating to "family seating." As others have noted, the COC not only does not guarantee specific seats, it makes clear that assignments are not guaranteed. That said, this was poorly handled by AA as it appears that at least three seats existed together had already been dealt with. At a minimum, that would have left each parent with a lap child and one parent seated in the same row with the 2 younger seated children, leaving open the possibility that the two older children might have been seated alone (but in the same cabin).

On the complaint front, it is important to distinguish between anti-semitic statements and the seating issue. The former is actionable and, I suspect that both AA and DOT will investigate if you make a specific complaint. Omit the entire seating issue other than to note that there was one and that was why you were interacting with the GA, e.g., "while dealing with the GA on a seating issue, he made the following anti-semitic comments....."
SFO777 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
This sounds like a twitter post to me. Or maybe local news agency. You booked seats together for your family, including minors. If AA shuffled seats around due to MAX swaps, then the agent should have tried to help you get seated back together. If the agent's motivation for not helping you is racist, then that needs to be reported. Sitting you 15 rows away from your kids is unacceptable - while it's not ideal that your kids couldn't use the bathroom because the man in the aisle was sleeping, it's better than the million other scenarios that could have happened but luckily did not.
KBMIFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by vj_rama
Tough situation for OP. Been there before with 2 kids and wife all booked in first class and they still managed to bungle the seating. What's even more concerning is how unwilling fellow passengers are to swap seats for the kid's sake. In above scenario, I am sure a stranger could have ended up getting an aisle for window swap and at least put the two oldest kids together. I have found basic courtesy to be dead in most public transports these days. Go ride any subway or city bus and see how often young healthy men get up and offer their seats to the elderly, pregnant, etc. It never happens. What's worse is it ends up making you feel like a fool for doing so.
As I understood it, the 2 oldest got a window and middle, but didn't want to wake the sleeping guy on the aisle to use the lav.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
The question is did the OP reserve seats together or actually pay for the seats.
What do you mean actually pay for the seats? Isn't that part of what I am buying when I choose main cabin over basic economy? AA sure makes it sound that way.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Just needed to get the kids to cry, scream, press the call button every 5 minutes until you all get seated together.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:57 pm

Used Miles so lets get miles back. Contact AA via this number 888 747 1427 @thetravelsavant
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
Originally Posted by mendel
Do you have the email address to reach his office?
I don't have a direct email to Mr Parker, there might be one somewhere in the AA forum somewhere.
The mail him suggestion should have been Snail Mail and there's an address on the AA website just make it to attention Doug Parker, CEO.

Mailing address

P.O. Box 619616
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616

Straight from aa.com

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.