Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Paid for C, schedule change on one leg to Y...

Old Apr 22, 19, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PlatPro, UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First

I tried searching for this topic, but couldn’t yield an answer. Simple question: do I have any recourse for the following scenario?

In November, I booked four paid BizClass tickets GSO-PHL-LHR. GSO-PHL is on regional carrier in a CRJ with an F cabin which I was booked into and assume my fare was calculated as such.

Last week I received notification of a schedule change impacting my domestic segment, different regional carrier, different plane with no F cabin and we were all four put into Y.

Am I due a partial refund for the F segment? I paid for F and they are giving me Y. I know the rules for being downgraded the day of, but can’t find jack for what the rules are when it happens in advance.

thanks for any assistance, FT.
Old Apr 22, 19, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA PPro. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
They will almost surely not offer you a partial cash refund. They will probably let you change your GSO-PHL flight to a different carrier, or maybe even let you fly out of a different airport like CLT or RDU. Or maybe give you a refund. You could maybe ask for miles or a voucher. Maybe even change to a CLT-LHR nonstop.
Old Apr 22, 19, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
You're probably due some refund but its also probably _very_ small. The fare construction on the ticket should show what you "paid" for that leg, AA would have to research what Y would have been for that leg on that fare, I suspect is not a lot, and some sort of CS gesture could be more valuable. As redtop43 mentioned you could also request a re-route that maintains J the whole way; trying for CLT or RDU n/s is certainly worth asking for as well if you are OK with the drive. I'm not sure if they would allow it but worth asking if that works for you.
Old Apr 22, 19, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Assuming it is a business class fare of GSO-LHR rt, If the aeroplane has no 1st class cabin, I doubt that you will be due any refund

If it is made up of a PHL-LHR r/t plus a GSO-PHL addon, then you may be due a partial refund

Looking on EF at the fares, it does seem that it may be something due a partial refund
Old Apr 22, 19, 8:10 pm

Programs: CK or bust
I assume you mean that you paid for J (as in the business cabin on international sectors or three+ classes of service or first on non-premium transcon domestically) as C is upgrade inventory and if you bring up C inventory it might create some confusion as to your case for a refund.
Old Apr 22, 19, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by enpremiere View Post
I assume you mean that you paid for J (as in the business cabin on international sectors or three+ classes of service or first on non-premium transcon domestically) as C is upgrade inventory and if you bring up C inventory it might create some confusion as to your case for a refund.
In the *A world C was the equivalent of J in OW (full fare business class), not sure if that's still the case but I know when I moved from UA to AA I frequently referred to paid business as C rather than J. As the OP says they "booked four paid BizClass tickets " I assume they meant paid with $ and not an upgrade; but good point to not use "C" when communicating with AA as will likely cause confusion.
enpremiere and gnedge like this.
Old Apr 22, 19, 8:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum
This is where HUCA will come in handy, because my hunch is depending on agent OP will either be offered nothing but the option for a full refund, a very small fare difference refund, or, as others have alluded to, some proactive CS in the form of rerouting or similar. The latter is likely the most valuable outcome for OP. That being said, I wouldn’t expect to be reaccommodated on another carrier in this instance since this isn’t IRROPS.

EDIT: Just realized by “different carrier” we were talking different AE operating carrier. That indeed will be possible with a good agent. Likely too will skipping PHL as your TATL gateway altogether.
Old Apr 22, 19, 9:26 pm

When this happened to me, international J fare (I booking code) to an aircraft without a J cabin on one segment, AA gave me a phone call notifying me of the change and a partial refund to my credit card about a month before the flight.

The refund wasn’t much, but the segment was extremely short.

Also, you might want to reselect your seats now. MCE was free to select, though I would have been charged after AA issued the refund and reissued the ticket.
Old Apr 23, 19, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gnedge View Post
I tried searching for this topic, but couldn’t yield an answer.
I just searched "downgrade" in the title, and this was the 4th result:

Downgrade from I to Y 3 months prior to flight, compensation?

You may be able to convince them to give you a small refund (voucher may be easier).
You can always cancel altogether for a full refund.
gnedge likes this.
Old Apr 23, 19, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PlatPro, UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by ryan182 View Post
In the *A world C was the equivalent of J in OW (full fare business class), not sure if that's still the case but I know when I moved from UA to AA I frequently referred to paid business as C rather than J. As the OP says they "booked four paid BizClass tickets " I assume they meant paid with $ and not an upgrade; but good point to not use "C" when communicating with AA as will likely cause confusion.
Thanks for this and all the replies; right you are, years of training how to be a frequent flyer in *A dies hard
Old Apr 23, 19, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gnedge View Post
I tried searching for this topic, but couldn’t yield an answer. Simple question: do I have any recourse for the following scenario?

In November, I booked four paid BizClass tickets GSO-PHL-LHR. GSO-PHL is on regional carrier in a CRJ with an F cabin which I was booked into and assume my fare was calculated as such.

Last week I received notification of a schedule change impacting my domestic segment, different regional carrier, different plane with no F cabin and we were all four put into Y.

Am I due a partial refund for the F segment? I paid for F and they are giving me Y. I know the rules for being downgraded the day of, but can’t find jack for what the rules are when it happens in advance.

thanks for any assistance, FT.
If it's a different regional carrier, you're absolutely entitled to cancel for a full refund according to USA DOT regulations.

However, you probably want to re-route so that your domestic segment has FC, although depending on your travel date, four FC/business class seats on the same flights could be difficult.
Old Apr 23, 19, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
If it's a different regional carrier, you're absolutely entitled to cancel for a full refund according to USA DOT regulations.

However, you probably want to re-route so that your domestic segment has FC, although depending on your travel date, four FC/business class seats on the same flights could be difficult.
Thanks MSPeconomist. I'm going to call and ask for a voucher I think. I wanted my kids to experience the 747 upper deck and BA has the perfect configuration in their biz product in the upper deck, four seats straight across, two of them exit rows. I picked this flight combination specifically for these seats, so changing connections at this point is onerous.

These replies are exactly why I came to FT; for eighteen years, every question I've ever had has been answered by someone who has experience. My wife asked me why I didn't just call customer service and ask - I think this thread shows why. Thanks all.
enpremiere and GrumpyYoungMan like this.