Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Two AA record locators on BA ticket/AA operated flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

I have an upcoming flight (XXX-ORD-FCO) ticketed through BA with both segments operated by AA. Shortly after ticketing I added my AA frequent flyer number to the flight and was able to access the flight details while logged in on aa.com. I then purchased MCE seats through aa.com for the flights which apparently generated a second record locator. Is this normal? So now while logged into aa.com I see 2 trips XXX-FCO and ORD-FCO. I am wondering if this will cause any issues with check in and travel. For example will I need to check in on ba.com or can I check in on the AA app and access my boarding passes there. I am especially wanting to avoid any troubles since a schedule change shortened my connection time in ORD to just 40 minutes.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Redeemed
Hello,

I have an upcoming flight (XXX-ORD-FCO) ticketed through BA with both segments operated by AA. Shortly after ticketing I added my AA frequent flyer number to the flight and was able to access the flight details while logged in on aa.com. I then purchased MCE seats through aa.com for the flights which apparently generated a second record locator. Is this normal? So now while logged into aa.com I see 2 trips XXX-FCO and ORD-FCO. I am wondering if this will cause any issues with check in and travel. For example will I need to check in on ba.com or can I check in on the AA app and access my boarding passes there. I am especially wanting to avoid any troubles since a schedule change shortened my connection time in ORD to just 40 minutes.
Have you asked AA if they can switch you to an earlier flight from XXX to ORD? I can't seem to pull up the schedule for XXX-ORD, or I would have been able to see if there was an earlier flight
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

I have not asked. There is only one earlier flight from FSD-ORD- it is at 5:50 am which means waking at 3:30 am to make that work and a 9 plus hour layover at ORD- so potentially 2 nights of none to very little sleep on the front end of a trip. I would rather take my chances with this less than ideal connection time. I plan to check my luggage and take only a backpack with overnight essentials/change of clothes. That way I don't need to wait for my gate checked bag and can race to the gate.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
I have had two record locators before. It did also relate to seats in that as far as I remember, I needed to use one locator to get seats from BA and the other for AA. My memory is a bit fuzzy but at the end it did not cause any more trouble than sometimes clicking on the wrong one to go assign seats.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's totally normal to have separate record locators -- one in AA's system and BA's system. But it sounds like you have TWO record locators just with AA? That would seem unusual, but I don't think should be a big issue at the airport. I'd arrive a little earlier than normal to your departing airport, especially if you can't check in online. (You would check in with AA as the operating carrier). But nothing should prevent the agents there from ensuring you're properly checked in and have the boarding pass for your ORD-FCO flight as well.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

I have 2 record locators with AA and one with BA. The second AA record locator seems to have been generated after the purchase of the MCE seats and only contains the ORD-FCO segment and return. I am able to change seats within that record locator presumably to other MCE seats? The original AA record locator (which was obtained after entering my BA record locator on aa.com) shows all segments of the itinerary with proper seat assignments however the seats for the transatlantic portions of the flight are "greyed out" and are unable to deselected/changed.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:08 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
How are your flights booked? All under BA flight numbers?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
I have had this happen a couple of times. Once I did nothing and it was fine. The second time I called and had them reconcile the AA flight locators.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.