Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What American Eagle flights are assigned to LAX cabin crews?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC G/*O E

A question to the community – is there a way to tell whether LAX cabin crew will be on a flight?
A bit of context (and, admittedly, a vent) – I do fly American Eagle aka Compass Airlines quite a bit and have noticed that while most of cabin crews (especially those based in PHX) are lovely, every time I fly with a crew from LAX it is a bit of a disaster. The latest example was a couple of days ago on LAX bound flight when a flight attend looking after F cabin spilled a (thankfully) lukewarm coffee all over me. I, assuming, cabin crew will be petrified, said something along the lines of “it’s okay – I got a spare t-shirt”, to which the lady responded with: “Oh, I am not worried, but that’s a good lesson for you not to order drinks on short haul flights”. I chuckled, assuming that was an awkward joke, and went to a bathroom to change. Imagine my confusion when I was returning to my seat and got a pile of napkins from this cabin crew accompanied with: ”now, go clean your mess” (exact her words, I kid you not). I was so baffled that just took those napkins and spent next 10 minutes removing coffee stains from my seat.
Not sure if this is cultural or lack of training, but would like to make sure I never again fly with a LAX cabin crew.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I always find LAX based Compass crews to be excellent. Sorry for your experience?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I would report that AA..that type of behavior is unacceptable..
if you remember names great.. make sure to include them with of course your flight info..
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by luitje
Not sure if this is cultural or lack of training, but would like to make sure I never again fly with a LAX cabin crew.
what culture are LAX-based FAs a part of that gives you concern ?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
I have had mixed bags. Some LAX based crews are right on the money, others leave a lot to be desired as they are pretty green or just think that a 30 minute flight should not get the same care an attention as a 1:30 flight.

But never as bad as you shared w/ the spilled drink. That seems to be a one off. I would report that and chalk it up as a bad apple.
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
what culture are LAX-based FAs a part of that gives you concern ?
I was not really sure whether this was lack of training or something people from LA would consider acceptable. Sounds like this is just my luck (or rather lack of it) with LAX crews. Would still be great to know how to avoid these crews since I have consistently experienced (what I consider) a poor customer service.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
I guess they hire anyone as FA's these days.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by DCP2016
I guess they hire anyone as FA's these days.
Unfortunately shoving pay scales down to the levels they have the quality of candidates suffer. While yes many young people might like the adventures of being a FA the paltry pay of a starting regional FA (probably about $20K a year) probably discourages lots of good candidates from applying.
nancypants and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
(probably about $20K a year).
You can't be serious. Minimum wage in CA is $12, which means with a full month of vacations, it shall be at least $21K per year. Airlines can' be that cheap to pay an absolute minimum to someone responsible for passengers safety, can they?
If that's really the case - what's next? Mandatory tipping when flying regional?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
You can't be serious. Minimum wage in CA is $12, which means with a full month of vacations, it shall be at least $21K per year. Airlines can' be that cheap to pay an absolute minimum to someone responsible for passengers safety, can they?
If that's really the case - what's next? Mandatory tipping when flying regional?
FAs only get paid once the door is closed, during boarding they get like $2 per hour based on legacy railroad union rules IIRC.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Never mind flight attendants; regional airline pilots have a typical starting salary around $20k, though it does rise pretty quickly with experience. (source) I don’t believe state minimum wage laws apply to flight and cabin crew, and as noted the hours that count as on the clock are a small fraction of the hours crew are required to be at work, especially for short flights (since ground time between flights is generally unpaid even though it’s not like they can go home).

The poverty wages don’t make the FA behavior you described acceptable, though.

nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ashill
You are right, but having learnt this I won't be sending a complaint. They were, albeit not very pleasant, only 15 minutes of misery for me vs a reprimand and a potential delay in pay raise for that attendant. After all we all have those days sometimes.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by ashill

Never mind flight attendants; regional airline pilots have a typical starting salary around $20k, though it does rise pretty quickly with experience. (source) I don’t believe state minimum wage laws apply to flight and cabin crew, and as noted the hours that count as on the clock are a small fraction of the hours crew are required to be at work, especially for short flights (since ground time between flights is generally unpaid even though it’s not like they can go home).

your source on pilot pay is 7 years old.

A brand new FO at Compass is making around 50,000 a year minimum. Flight attendants are obviously paid less but for many it's an entry-level job with benefits including flights on Delta and American. As you know, it's not covered by state wage-and-hour laws.

Personally, I'd be happy if the long-haul 777 fleet out of LAX was staffed by Compass flight attendants!
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:56 am

You are right, but having learnt this I won't be sending a complaint. They were, albeit not very pleasant, only 15 minutes of misery for me vs a reprimand and a potential delay in pay raise for that attendant. After all we all have those days sometimes.
Please do send in the complaint so, with luck, no one else has to experience this FA's bad attitude.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:58 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond
Minimum wage, neither state nor federal, applies to Flight Attendants per the national Railway Labor Act.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.