Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2011, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA- exp 8.2MM, SQ, DL, spg plat
No credit for money paid

Originally Posted by AJLondon
As someone who typically pays for J/F, and was seriously considering moving to AA's FFP, having had some excellent recent inflight experiences, this is the biggest disappointment.

So whether I fly JFK-LAX on a $3000 J/F fare or a $500 S/N fare, the million miler credit is the same? Seriously!?
I unfortunately have to agree with you that this is totally nuts and another in a long line of blunders where it seems that no one thinks a situation totally through. In my opinion, this is one of the underlying reasons for their filing as they continued to lose premium revenue and irritate long-time customers

I understand disallowing non-airline related miles but not to give credit for revenue is counterproductive.

I am just short of 9MM and frankly, I use the EVIPs to upgrade from C to F mostly on transpac flights where I actually have a choice between AA (transit in NRT) and CX (transit in HKG). in my case, the only way that I will fly AA (and pay business class) is if I can use an EVIP as their C product is totally non-competitive. If I don't have them to use, I will fly the new CX product and get full AA benefits......

My only hope is that this filing knocks some sense into management and they start to realize what they selling in relation to their competition and what they have to do to keep their premium travelers from bolting after the hights level that they can qualify for
Old Nov 30, 2011, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by wdchuck1
I unfortunately have to agree with you that this is totally nuts and another in a long line of blunders where it seems that no one thinks a situation totally through. In my opinion, this is one of the underlying reasons for their filing as they continued to lose premium revenue and irritate long-time customers

I understand disallowing non-airline related miles but not to give credit for revenue is counterproductive.
I'm going to respectfully disagree. High revenue flyers get the benefit of getting status (EXP) by flying less miles than those flying on cheaper tickets (DEQMs aside)...and that's exactly how it should be. There should be added benefits to paying for J and F seats. You could also argue that high revenue flyers also get CK service as an added "thank you"...I guess it depends on what you consider "high revenue".

The MM program is (now) all about recognizing and rewarding those who fly a lot of actual BIS miles with AA and I don't see why revenue should be expected to come in to it. If it's such a good idea to link all status goals with revenue why is there such a commotion going on over at UA/CO?
Old Nov 30, 2011, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by MauiTigerShark
I'm going to respectfully disagree. High revenue flyers get the benefit of getting status (EXP) by flying less miles than those flying on cheaper tickets (DEQMs aside)...and that's exactly how it should be. There should be added benefits to paying for J and F seats. You could also argue that high revenue flyers also get CK service as an added "thank you"...I guess it depends on what you consider "high revenue".

The MM program is (now) all about recognizing and rewarding those who fly a lot of actual BIS miles with AA and I don't see why revenue should be expected to come in to it. If it's such a good idea to link all status goals with revenue why is there such a commotion going on over at UA/CO?
It's always amusing to see people getting so upset about not getting all the perks that they think they are entitled to on account of spending large amounts of OPM.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by nirajashah
Do you get the 35K Miles in addition to 8 Upgrade stickers? I just made MM and since I dont fly AA much (read that not at all - get miles from BankDIrect) I would much rather have 35K RDM than 8 Upgrade stickers that I cant use (I have over 50 from when I used to be EXP).
By default I was given the 8 stickers, I called and had them converted into the 35,000 miles -- after 3 calls to AA over 4 or so days, to finally get them to do this correctly, and not make me come out with less than they promised -- (posted about this somewhere much much earlier in this thread).
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:55 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I guess it's officially here
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:44 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA PLT
Will purchases made today count or was yesterday the last day? I made a bunch of purchases and my card got locked last night and I wasn't able to make a last minute purchase for ~600 miles.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 5:11 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
As a reference point, my Citibank debit card miles posted this morning w/ a date of 30 Nov. This caused the miles to be added to my MM balance. In short, so long as your transaction occurred on/before the 30th, you should be okay. What would be interesting to see is if AAdvantage Eshopping purchase subtractions will also subtract from the MM total. Under the old scheme, this did not happen.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 5:59 am

Location: Scarsdale, NY USA; LT PLT AA; AA 3 mm (4 mm will never happen); Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, AA is clueless why I fly
Originally Posted by uxb
As a reference point, my Citibank debit card miles posted this morning w/ a date of 30 Nov. This caused the miles to be added to my MM balance. In short, so long as your transaction occurred on/before the 30th, you should be okay. What would be interesting to see is if AAdvantage Eshopping purchase subtractions will also subtract from the MM total. Under the old scheme, this did not happen.
Are you sure they did not get subtracted? I certainly know they were subtracted from the total available miles. But I never looked to see if they subtracted them from the million miles.

Am only 6,200 miles away from the next million and have some very late November dines plus a flight SFO-JFK later this week. I can taste the SWUs....the last I will ever see.

As a side note, and I am assuming AA realized this would cause a loss of revenue, nearly all of my future non-flight mileage earning (dining, shopping, hotels, rental cars) will now be directed to other airlines to build up my airmiles for free tickets with them. Before December 1st it was almost exclusively AA.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 6:20 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by uxb
As a reference point, my Citibank debit card miles posted this morning w/ a date of 30 Nov. This caused the miles to be added to my MM balance. In short, so long as your transaction occurred on/before the 30th, you should be okay.
+1

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Dec 6, 2011, 6:34 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by jaynyc
Are you sure they did not get subtracted? I certainly know they were subtracted from the total available miles. But I never looked to see if they subtracted them from the million miles.

Am only 6,200 miles away from the next million and have some very late November dines plus a flight SFO-JFK later this week. I can taste the SWUs....the last I will ever see.

As a side note, and I am assuming AA realized this would cause a loss of revenue, nearly all of my future non-flight mileage earning (dining, shopping, hotels, rental cars) will now be directed to other airlines to build up my airmiles for free tickets with them. Before December 1st it was almost exclusively AA.
I checked and doubled-checked that the "returns" were subtracted from the available mileage balance, but not the MM balance.

Re: partner earning, I have always used the shopping portal of the airline that offered the most miles/$. This will not change. I will likely move my car rentals to WN and my Hilton double dip to UA or DL depending on promo.

Anyway, I am envious of your 3MM status. Enjoy!

Last edited by uxb; Dec 6, 2011 at 6:40 am
Old Dec 6, 2011, 9:51 am

What happened to all of us who have achieved these

thresholds in years past and did not received anything except the lifetime Gold, then lifetime Platinum. At 4.7 millions, I did not get anything at my 3MM, nothing at 4MM either.
Thanks for any help to clearify this issue.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Which other USA-based airlines have fuel surcharges on their OWN award inventory?

I'll save you the trouble: that would be "zero".

(Europe, Asia and Canada are different. Very different- in many cases there is a national airline with overwhelming market share like LH, SQ, AC, AF and so on, you aren't flying domestic routes that are 5-9 hours, and so on.)

The day AA does this (if they do it), expect WN to go to town in advertising:"When we say 'free flights for awards', we mean it. We don't stick you with hundreds of dollars of fuel charges and junk fees.", the same way that they hammer home no baggage/change fees.

Given that fuel's the major component of air travel, it would make domestic flight awards almost useless (and thus make those lucrative credit card deals nearly useless)- 25,000 miles for maybe a 20% cut in the price of airfare? Fuggedaboudit.
You forgot Japanese airlines, though. Domestic, I don't see any difference between taking JL/NH and taking the train. And, both charge YQ on their own award inventory.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by AA2MM
thresholds in years past and did not received anything except the lifetime Gold, then lifetime Platinum. At 4.7 millions, I did not get anything at my 3MM, nothing at 4MM either.
At 3MM I got the EVIPs....
Old Dec 6, 2011, 10:11 am

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Originally Posted by AA2MM
You'd be the first that I've seen report that they didn't get anything for passing MM thresholds in the past. You apparently did not use the SWU's that were given to you.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
You'd be the first that I've seen report that they didn't get anything for passing MM thresholds in the past. You apparently did not use the SWU's that were given to you.
I am serious...I was sent a congratulatory letter for my 4MM in 2005 and I still have that email, and nothing mentioned in the letter. And my boss, he passed 7 MM and his letter said no such things as the eVPs either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.