Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd)

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd)

Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What a terrible move. I'm switching to Delta - they're much more customer-friendly there!

Seriously, it was good while it lasted. It will be interesting to see how the new UA program will compare. CO today is between old AA and new AA in terms of earning (closer to new) - all EQMs count, including partners and COS bonuses, IIRC. UA obviously more difficult but the benefits are better I believe. A number of moving parts.
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Dear ____

Your commitment to American Airlines is extraordinary and we sincerely thank you for your loyalty.

As one of our multi-million mile AAdvantage members, you have enjoyed the benefits of an informal program that recognizes your robust mileage earning activity.

We are announcing a new AAdvantage Million MilerSM program which recognizes and rewards AAdvantage members when Million Miler thresholds are reached. Starting December 1, 2011, AAdvantage base miles earned by flying on American Airlines, American Eagle or the AmericanConnection carrier or any eligible AAdvantage program participating airline will count towards Million Miler status. Also, as a limited time offer, one AAdvantage mile for every dollar spent on eligible purchases using the new Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage World EliteTM MasterCard credit card that post to billing statements through December 2012 will count toward Million Miler status*. The Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage World EliteTM MasterCard credit card account must be open and in good standing by December 1, 2011.

As you know, you are vested with lifetime AAdvantage Platinum status, regardless of your annual elite-qualifying activity. We will continue to provide you with four (4) one-way systemwide upgrades each time you cross another Million Miler threshold.

All of your Program to Date AAdvantage miles earned so far as well as any AAdvantage miles posted between now and November 30, 2011, will count toward the new Million Miler program. On December 1, 2011, you will be able to view the details of your Million Miler activity in your AAdvantage account on AA.com separately from your AAdvantage award miles, so you can track your progress toward reaching this special designation.

For frequently asked questions, visit AA.com/MillionMiler. We thank you for your loyalty and look forward to seeing you on board soon.

Sincerely,

Maya Leibman
Maya Leibman
President AAdvantage Loyalty Program

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
The change sucks but I can understand it. I was just starting to head toward MM status on AA (it's actually my 2nd-most flown airline after DL), but there's no way I'll be able to make that much by December.

My mother on the other hand is at 2.01MM thanks to Citi cards and her business, so thankfully she'll get to keep lifetime PLT status as she does not fly as much.

It's funny though, even though I fly DL more, I have more MM miles on AA because of things like Citi cards
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP (> 2.5 MM; *Wood Gld; HHonors Gld
Main impact on EXP

As a longterm EXP flyer who flies about 100-125 BIS /yr and earned another 250-300k miles /yr in bonus miles and cc spending, I will get those 4 extra eVIPs only once every 8-10 years instead of every 2-3 years. This really sucks...
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:02 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jpzeller
Maybe I'm dense, but I don't understand - those rental car/hotel dollars charged will still accrue MILES, nicht wahr? The miles will simply not count toward million-mile status.

Correct?
Ja, das stimmt.

Cheers.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold
Am I correct in saying that all AA Credit Card purchases through Dec 2012 and SPG transfers still count to Million Miler status as long as it is before 12/1/11? Easy enough to get to get to Plat Lifetime.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines
As promised, today Im sharing with you the details of the new AAdvantage Million MilerSM program.

Heres how its going to work:

For more information you can visit http://bit.ly/aadvmillion or ask any questions you may have right here.

Thank you for your continued loyalty, and we look forward to seeing you on board soon.

Maya Leibman
President AAdvantage Loyalty Program
AmericanAirlines: As has been pointed out by a number of posters here, a deep discount Economy flyer would earn the same progress towards lifetime status than a full fare First flyer, when the latter has possibly paid many times the fare paid by the former. When it comes to qualifying for regular elite status (Gold, Platinum or EXP), premium flyers are rewarded through the Elite Qualifying Points system.

I agree (like many others here) that it makes sense to not count bonus miles earned fairly cheaply from the likes of credit cards, etc. However, is it truly a sound business decision to treat premium flyers exactly the same as deep discount flyers when it comes to Lifetime Status?

This isn't a concern of most on these forums, given that the vast majority of FTers fly deep discount and try to maximize their elite status at the lowest cost. However, for the few of us that do pay premium fares consistently, it would be helpful if these comments and concerns were passed on to Maya or the relevant decision makers. The Lifetime Program may have been announced but given that it doesn't fully implement until 12/1, there may yet be time to incorporate some (positive from a business standpoint) changes.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Does anyone recall offhand when Bank Direct miles post? I think it's the 4th or 5th of the month, so November balances will not be helping people here.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:04 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trach500
Am I correct in saying that all AA Credit Card and SPG transfers still count to Million Miler status as long as it is before 12/1?
Everything is as it is through 11/30.

Cheers.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Question regarding this portion:

Originally Posted by American Airlines
...or any eligible AAdvantage program participating airline...
Do all AA partner airlines flights count toward lifetime status or just a select few like EQM/EQP/EQS earning OW airlines and AS flights?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ScreenGuy
I hope this is rhetorical because this question was asked and answered very early on in this thread (the answer was yes)
It remains rhetorical.

Programs: Bonvoy - LIFETIME!!! Titanium ; AA - Platinum 2 Million Miler;
I am just thankful they now have the program in writing and they grandfathered me into the 2-million miler program. I would estimate I traveled 700,000 miles for the 2,000,000 in my history.
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
AmericanAirlines: As has been pointed out by a number of posters here, a deep discount Economy flyer would earn the same progress towards lifetime status than a full fare First flyer, when the latter has possibly paid many times the fare paid by the former. When it comes to qualifying for regular elite status (Gold, Platinum or EXP), premium flyers are rewarded through the Elite Qualifying Points system.

I agree (like many others here) that it makes sense to not count bonus miles earned fairly cheaply from the likes of credit cards, etc. However, is it truly a sound business decision to treat premium flyers exactly the same as deep discount flyers when it comes to Lifetime Status?

This isn't a concern of most on these forums, given that the vast majority of FTers fly deep discount and try to maximize their elite status at the lowest cost. However, for the few of us that do pay premium fares consistently, it would be helpful if these comments and concerns were passed on to Maya or the relevant decision makers. The Lifetime Program may have been announced but given that it doesn't fully implement until 12/1, there may yet be time to incorporate some (positive from a business standpoint) changes.
As a deep discount flier who wouldn't know a 1.5 EQP fare if it bit me, I wholeheartedly agree with the modification to allow COS bonus to count in this equation. It really does make sense to incent those who are paying the big bucks to allow us bottom dwellers to achieve EXP.

Cheers.

Programs: AA LT Plat
I am really happy at the way AA is handling this. It is bad news in a way, because I had hoped to get my husband LT Gold before the change was made. But kudos to Maya and AA for handling it this way, not keeping us all hanging and worrying about making bad point transfers for fear the change would occur with no notice.

I will look into getting Mr S that new credit card, and hope the mileage offer gets extended a time or too.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PL, SPG G, MR G, HH G, CC G, AMEX PL
This really sucks. The only reason I was accumulating AA miles is to eventually get to 1MM. I only fly enough to maintain Gold for the year. I have no intention of getting their new CC as I have AmEx PL for lounges and C1 Venture for spend. I actually stopped using AA PL MC completely because it didn't make sense anymore after opening C1, since all my flights are in coach. Well, unless my job starts sending me on trips to West Coast every month I can't see achieving 1MM in any foreseeable future. (even then it would take about 10 years) I would switch to DL, but their award trips cost many more miles. I just booked JFK-LHR on AA for 40K RT, the same on DL was 60K. Just venting...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.