Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd)

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd)

Old Aug 24, 11, 1:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage and New York City

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by chix View Post
I would like to know that answer too....
Answered in the announcement in the first post.
Old Aug 24, 11, 1:46 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
From the e-mail I received:

Dear FrAAmer,

Your commitment to American Airlines is extraordinary and we sincerely thank you for your loyalty.

As one of our multi-million mile AAdvantage® members, you have enjoyed the benefits of an informal program that recognizes your robust mileage earning activity.

As you know, you are vested with lifetime AAdvantage Platinum® status, regardless of your annual elite-qualifying activity. We will continue to provide you with four (4) one-way systemwide upgrades each time you cross another Million Miler threshold.
jaf

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), UAL (Premier Exec), SPG (Platinum), Hyatt (Diamond), Marriott (Plat), Hertz (Prez)
For those who haven't reach 1MM status but are close and don't expect to have a lot of BIS miles in the future, I'm assuming the best course of action is to get as close as you can to 1MM status as possible before December 1 (without actually crossing the threshold) through non-BIS methods: credit card spending, SPG points, etc. Then cross the threshold after December 1.

Programs: AA EXP - 2.4 mm, Starwood PLT
It appears yes.. LT Plat note I recieved today:

Your commitment to American Airlines is extraordinary and we sincerely thank you for your loyalty.

As one of our multi-million mile AAdvantage® members, you have enjoyed the benefits of an informal program that recognizes your robust mileage earning activity.

As you know, you are vested with lifetime AAdvantage Platinum® status, regardless of your annual elite-qualifying activity. We will continue to provide you with four (4) one-way systemwide upgrades each time you cross another Million Miler threshold.

Last edited by execplatscum; Aug 24, 11 at 1:47 pm Reason: edit

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Originally Posted by Bucanero View Post
I'm at 954.442, have the Citi MC Exec, should I wait to cross the 1MM after Dec 01 or before ?
you might wanna think about a "move" overseas before November and cross the mark...
also, I might be paranoid, but no need to publish your exact AAdvantage miles number..

Originally Posted by mingw View Post
so whatever miles we have through 11/30/11 should still count, right? from 12/1/11 we can only add BIS miles?

I need to find ways spending half million with my credit card by then
Get to where you can and then buy the rest of the miles to put you over the top.

Or just get the new credit card (if it's available where you live), which gives you all the benefits of Gold status plus unlimited Admiral's Club access for you and family members travelling with you, for a "mere" $450/year.

I made 1 million miles last year, and only have 925k miles to go to Platinum. Guess that won't be happening, since I rarely even crack 25k miles/year any more.

Programs: AA - Lifetime Gold
Oh well... it was expected. It's a shame as I'm at 1.5mm and was looking forward to crossing the 2mm on cc purchases. Since that is no longer possible, I guess I'll be using my other credit cards (UA/DL) more as I was using Citibank exclusively as well as using the AAdvantage shopping portal.

My wife has 1.2mm and will be a little disappointed that she'll be flying more to get to 2mm.
Old Aug 24, 11, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines View Post
You have the opportunity to earn BIS miles by flying AA or any AAdvantage participating airline. Unlike any other airline, you also have the opportunity to earn miles towards Million Miler status through the Citi Executive Card. This is a great card with a lot of benefits which you should check out if you haven't had the chance already.
No, not everybody has that opportunity. I would love to but Citibank won't give me another card.

Programs: AA EXP (1MM), Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
So the days of "international" 1 MM customers getting the 4 SWUs for hitting 1MM status are coming to an end?
I hope this is rhetorical because this question was asked and answered very early on in this thread (the answer was yes)

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold, Priority Club Plat.
I'll identify myself first, AA is my second choice, I am a Delta flyer normally. I don't fly for business, and can manage mid level status (gold) on Delta on my own dime. I have been coveting million mile status on AA for a while now, since I may someday work with a company that woudl require me to fly aa more, or for the day that I can't keep up my delta status, so I can then switch programs to benefit from having status.

I wish the program would have lasted longer unchanged. But I also think the changes are fair given what competitors offer.

I am very grateful for the advance notice of the changes. A big thank you to AA for being so upfront about what is going on.

I also have a plan on how to accumulate the miles I need to get there- I am going to lock myself in a bathroom on a 777 for 1 week in October, put an "out of order" sign on the door, then come out and ask for the miles I flew to be credited to my account. There aren't any flaws in my plan, are there?
Old Aug 24, 11, 1:49 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by PCTraveler View Post
Doesn't bode well for that announcement.

Are the current LT members grandfathered in?
Based on this (from my e-mail)...yes..

I think to summarize this, is take your number today (LT numbers), keep adding at today's rate/speed until Dec 1st. After that date, the rate/speed of accumulating LT numbers will slow down based on the less ways/opportunities to earn them.
Old Aug 24, 11, 1:49 pm

Programs: No preference
It would be nice for Citi to offer a special promo on the Citi Exec card to reduce the fee for the coming year.
Old Aug 24, 11, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA
Smile

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
If a N American resident....If you would prefer 35,000 points to 8 electronic upgrade credits, wait till december

If a non N American resident... do it now and get the 4 systemwide upgrades

( assuming that the non published scheme is still operating )
I live in N America, what is the difference of 4 systemwide upgrades vs 8 upgrade credits ? , besides one is double the other
Old Aug 24, 11, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Na - Na. Told you so.
Old Aug 24, 11, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
I have been gradually working my way to 2MM with both flying and my regular Citi AA card. I don't think I will continue since my current card is free and the Citi new deal is $450 a year.

I think I will change to the AMEX Platinum which gets me into both the Admirals Club and Sky Club on DL plus a lot more bennies for the same $450. One year flying plus spending on the new Citi card will not get me close enough to the 2MM to be worth the limited bennies compared to the AMEX Platinum.

Glad I get to keep my lifetime Gold for my current ~1.6MM

Cheers

Search this Thread
Search Engine: