Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:28 am

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Seems like a lot of people ostensibly are going to possibly end their Citibank, dining, etc. with AA due to the fact it won't add to the MM status.

I plan on sticking with most of the various AA programs because most of those will still get me tens of thousands of miles/year.

Now if AA starts to devalue their miles like DL has with their "Skypesos" then I would probably end a number of my AA-tied rewards.

YMMV.

Last edited by Jacobin777; Aug 29, 2011 at 10:38 am
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:00 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Success for me. Really only cared for the extra 35,000 lifetime miles - don't need the redeemable miles at the moment.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:41 am

Programs: AA:1MM
Originally Posted by Jacobin777
Seems like a lot of people ostensibly are going to possibly end their Citibank, dining, etc. with AA due to the fact it won't add to the MM status.

YMMV.
I think we need to remember brp's thesis that we are a non-standard set of AA users. So < 10,000 people who game the system quit pursuing AA?

Win to AA.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
Originally Posted by virmaior
I think we need to remember brp's thesis that we are a non-standard set of AA users. So < 10,000 people who game the system quit pursuing AA?

Win to AA.
except that our "gaming the system" doesn't have an actual cost to AA in dollars. Remember, award seats are mostly seats that would go empty/to nonrevs/ for upgrades anyway.

I would wager that our non-standard set of AA users probably generates CONSIDERABLY more revenue (be it from transfering miles / eshopping / dining / actual tix) for AA than a similar sized random set of AA customers.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
There appear to be many good AA customers in this thread that have announced their migration to one of the competitors.
While I'm sure there are some who have good reason to migrate there seem to be quite a few more who are suffering from "the grass is greener" syndrome or engaging in a knee jerk reaction of "I must do something, this is something...therefore this is what I must do" and may well end up doing themselves more of a disservice than this change in the MM program will do to them.

Simply browsing through the UA/CO boards or listening to the talk of Sky Pesos will quickly show that options are few and far between and that, for the moment, the benefits of the AAdvantage program still appear better than those of the competitors. All IMHO obviously....
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I think it is very odd how people here keep acting like flyertalk is the only way to learn about AA's existing lifetime program...

The first time I heard about it was watching CNN a couple years ago, then I saw a WSJ article comparing lifetime status programs from the major US airlines. After a major movie about the program and analysis on most if not all major US news networks the program was hardly a secret.

Add in the recent attention given to lifetime programs as a reaction to UAL's 10 MM festivities and there should be many well informed AA participants who have nothing to do with flyertalk.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:18 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SPCCR
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines
The good news is that when the Million Miler program launches on December 1, your starting Million Miler balance will include every AAdvantage mile you’ve ever earned since joining the program.
Wow, that is a very nice move. Thank you! ^
Old Aug 29, 2011, 1:16 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by Jacobin777

I plan on sticking with most of the various AA programs because most of those will still get me tens of thousands of miles/year.

Now if AA starts to devalue their miles like DL has with their "Skypesos" then I would probably end a number of my AA-tied rewards.

YMMV.
I agree. Except, I will end my relationship with programmes that are ending their relation with AAdvantage. One such instance is the Citibank AAdvantage debit card. I am ending my relationship w/ Citigold in favour of Charles Schwab because Citibank's customer service is criminally inept. Without the ability to earn airline miles on debit purchases, there is no longer a reason to stay.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 1:37 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AZbba

I would wager that our non-standard set of AA users probably generates CONSIDERABLY more revenue (be it from transfering miles / eshopping / dining / actual tix) for AA than a similar sized random set of AA customers.
I'd wager that a random sampling of AA customers of a given elite level (EXP, PLT, GLD) generates more revenue per capita than an equivalent sampling of FTers at the same level. We know how to game the system and get the same thing for less. Some people pay for a single TATL what we each pay for EXP.

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
I think it is very odd how people here keep acting like flyertalk is the only way to learn about AA's existing lifetime program...
I don't think that that was said. However, FT is very likely the most common way to find out. However, I'm still quite sure that the people who don't know about this program (or have heard of it but don't care enough to do anything different because of it) far outweighs those who do. So, the details of where people find out about this is not terribly relevant.

Cheers.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Daniel Elias
I became LTG in march of 2011, I was giving 8 stickers. I have used 3 of them. Can I but 3 stickers and call customer service and swap them for 35k miles, I'm trying to get as close as I can to LTP.
You can try, but only do this if you would use the stickers anyway because I doubt it will work.

I just got off the phone with an agent who informed me that despite the fact that the last stickers deposited into my account were from passing the 1 million mark, those stickers are used *first* before any others. Since I have received a couple of short hop upgrades between now and then, even though my current balance is more than 8, converting to miles is a no-go.

I think this offer is really intended for people who don't fly domestically at all.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by brp
I'd wager that a random sampling of AA customers of a given elite level (EXP, PLT, GLD) generates more revenue per capita than an equivalent sampling of FTers at the same level. We know how to game the system and get the same thing for less. Some people pay for a single TATL what we each pay for EXP.
Which is the very reason United are proposing a revenue based system, and I'm sure everyone else will follow.

On AA you can spend $100,000 and not be Platinum
You can also spend $5000 and be Exe Plat
Old Aug 29, 2011, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
Which is the very reason United are proposing a revenue based system, and I'm sure everyone else will follow.
I doubt everyone else will follow United. I have no doubt that some may follow, but even UA hasn't yet formally asserted that it will be going entirely that way.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, 1.5MM, Marriot
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
I am doing much the same as you are with Hubby miles and Hubby upgrades. When the new program starts on 12/01 I hope to be close enough to be able to fly my way to LT Plat in 2 to 3 years.

Right now I am doing a lot of AA eshopping for household items and supplies that won't go bad and that we will use in a reasonable period of time such as pet treats and toilet paper from Drugstore.com Putting everything on my AA branded credit cards etc.

Have also done most of my holiday shopping via AA eshopping.

After 12/1 much of my spending behavior will change to reflect AA's changes to the program. I will swtich my AA credit cards to ones with cash back and will send my eshopping ways that get me more discounts.

I also will be much less likely to insist that my air bookings be on AA and will go for cost savings. I predict a mailing from Citi offering me a better deal on credit cards than on my AA branded credit cards.

I respect your postings and your opinions. Very well done!
Thank you for your kind words! I'm still in the midst of my decision-making process about what I'll do. I maxed out my Citi AAdvantage debit spending in March and couldn't get a new account and my share miles is also maxed out. Currently my only realistic earning avenues are through travel (with only 2 trips planned for the rest of the year, and only one of those before the odd 12/1 deadline), buying miles, AddvantageEshopping, and perhaps a few offers here and there. In short...not much available at all.

I was just thinking that if I continue to use my Citi debit card in the future to accrue AA miles, then I can continue to redeem those (and my BIS miles) for "hubby tickets," thus only paying for mine, which will, in effect, double the amount of cash available for travel. That said, the majority of our travel is international and those miles go pretty fast...

That said, I'm still looking at a minimum of 7 years, if and only if I boost travel to faraway destinations like Asia and Australia, something I haven't really explored yet.

Originally Posted by Jailer
The near-blind brand loyalty of my parents’ (depression-era/WWII) generation is a thing of the past.
Honestly? AA was the closest I have ever come to that kind of brand loyalty. The challenging, but attainable goal of 2MM was precisely that which inspired that loyalty. And now that goal has been made nearly unattainable.

I believe that when a company has something that inspires that kind of loyalty, it's a huge mistake to meddle with it. <shrug>

Originally Posted by firstglobal
You can try, but only do this if you would use the stickers anyway because I doubt it will work.

I just got off the phone with an agent who informed me that despite the fact that the last stickers deposited into my account were from passing the 1 million mark, those stickers are used *first* before any others. Since I have received a couple of short hop upgrades between now and then, even though my current balance is more than 8, converting to miles is a no-go.

I think this offer is really intended for people who don't fly domestically at all.
I don't fly domestically *much* and I haven't used my stickers at all. However, I crossed the 1MM line last fall and they won't exchange for me. Boo, AA.

GG
Old Aug 29, 2011, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines
We have good news for some of you. Members who have earned 1 Million Miler status since January 1, 2011, will have a limited opportunity to exchange eight (8) 500-mile upgrades for 35,000 AAdvantage bonus miles if none of the upgrades have been used. Please call AAdvantage Customer Service at 1-800-882-8880 (say “AAdvantage Account” when prompted at the Main Menu) to request this transaction.
Originally Posted by thehawk75
Warning to members who try this, be prepared for a time consuming and frustrating display of incompetence.

2 calls so far, and my account is a mess.

After first call was promised 35,000 miles for my 8 stickers, told to check back in 24 hours to see changes reflected.

I log in a day later and see I've had 16 stickers deducted, and no miles posted.

Call back, and for half an hour the supervisor seems to think that I never had the sticker balance I claimed to have, so, the 16 sticker deduction was accurate! Finally they found 'something' that let them figure out it was their mistake (they didn't tell me what), but, promised my missing 8 stickers would be returned. Also told that the 35,000 miles will appear in the next 24 hours.

Log in today, and... I have only been given 4,000 miles. Obviously they treated this exchange not as the special million miler 8 sticker for 35,000 miles exchange, but, instead as just a regular old swap at a rate of 500 miles given per sticker. This despite the fact being promised by multiple reps I'd be given 35,000 miles for my 8 stickers.

Problem is still not resolved, as, customer service is now closed. But, not looking forward to the fact I'll have to call back again. Each phone call so far (2 of them) has been about 45 minutes long. Can't see this next call taking less time.

I probably should have waited a couple of weeks before doing this. Clearly the customer service reps are not yet properly trained on how to do this million miler 8 sticker for 35,000 miles swap. I would hope this is something that would improve in the coming weeks.
UPDATE:

I got through to customer service yesterday and the agent said she saw the mistakes made during the previous two attempts to swap my MM stickers for the miles. She said that within 48 hours this would be fixed.

This morning the correct number of miles (35,000) had posted. No trace of the erroneous 4000 mile deposit.

My upgrade balance is also correct.

Very relieved that this has now been rectified.

Originally Posted by Happy
Stickers deducted and 35K posted.

My guess is after Friday, agents are given clear instructions on how to do it The miles are posted with the same description as "Customer Service" miles - seems the same as those AA deposit in one's account after something has gone wrong.
My 35,000 miles indeed had the same description ("Customer Service Bonus"). Clearly something did go wrong in my case, but, I can't recall any one else's description of what the 35,000 miles were.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.