Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd)

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd)

Old Aug 28, 11, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by RobFromCT View Post
It's a pity. I understand that AA has crunched the numbers and has decided that the cost of awarding me lifetime platinum is greater than the benefit they will receive from the patronage that it takes to get me there under the current program, and that's fine. But this will most definitely have a profound impact on my spending and flying habits.

So long, AA! I'm sad I didn't even make LT Gold before this change was made but the chase was nice while it lasted.
Honestly, I think the issue is less to do with the cost of awarding lifetime platinum > then the value of extended patronage, and more to do with the fact that once lifetime platinum is achieved there is less incentive to fly AA unless you are going for EXP.

I for one would have expected to achieve LT PLT within 5-10 years. At that point I would have considered switching to AS so that my Delta miles would count while using my LT PLT to ensure good seats on AA and lounge access on my international travel. Now AA will keep me with them longterm because I cannot leave AA without losing preferential treatment and lounge access.
Old Aug 28, 11, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by dcAA View Post
Honestly, I think the issue is less to do with the cost of awarding lifetime platinum > then the value of extended patronage, and more to do with the fact that once lifetime platinum is achieved there is less incentive to fly AA unless you are going for EXP.
I don't quite understand. Maybe I was crunching the numbers badly, but being LTP would have increased rather than decreased my usage of AA, particularly with respect to personal economy travel in years in the future when I might not have enough business travel to qualify for status the old-fashioned way.

Platinum status on AA would definitely make me book my personal, domestic, economy travel on AA rather than on a competing airline because of mileage bonuses, the possibility of upgrades, lounge access, etc. Now, my incentive is to book with whatever carrier is cheapest.
Old Aug 28, 11, 12:03 pm

I am a bit put off by this switch. AA's lifetime program was the most attractive of all rewards programs. It was made much more accessible than regular BIS lifetime programs.

Now people who would normally never qualify for this program if it relied solely on BIS miles may switch carriers. I guess they want to reward the people who actually fly. In essence creating a chasm in the 1st tier lifetime elite levels without having to create an elite tier above EXP. They just made it harder to get lifetime status instead which I can understand makes more business sense for AA. Just not for me.

I wish I could have acheived lifetime status before the changes but now there is no shot of that happening.
Old Aug 28, 11, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT (MM), HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by brp View Post
While there are a number of ways to find out about the program, the part that I bolded is highly doubtful in the real world. Much more likely is that the vast majority do not know about this because they just don't make the effort/have the time/inclination to find out about such things.

Cheers.
At dinner yesterday with a relative who I knew flew AA quite a bit. He had heard about the LT program but always assumed it did not apply to him. He joined AAdvantage in 1988 and got gold back in 2001. It was shortly after 9/11 and he thought it was because AA was trying to get more people to fly. He said he has been gold ever since but still thought it was because AA still was trying to entice passengers. I had him call CS to find out his LT mileage and it was 1.5mm. He did not know that he was LTG (although he remembered getting some luggage tags) but truly had no clue about what it meant to him. We spent a while talking about this forum and ways to earn mileage. He now plans a big push to LTP over the next few months.
Old Aug 28, 11, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA(MM) , AA(MM) EXP, HH Diamond , SPG - LT Platinum
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Well,you're virtually the lone wolf among most people posting in this thread as they've come to complain about the changes. Most people do just as you're doing since they don't know about the MM program. Clearly they're not using the cards for the MM benefits. The suppositions that AA will see substantially reduced use of the cards due to this is very unlikely.

Cheers.
My use of AA Cards is what got me to MM status faster. My guess is 400K BIS; 400K promotions etc, and 200K by using the cards. As a result I made MM on AA last year but am sitting at 950K on UA and 925K on DL. Now with the opportunity for LT PLT pretty much gone....my use of cards will be solely which program I want to accumulate mies in.
Old Aug 28, 11, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
Originally Posted by HighPotter View Post
Talk about a top dollar, loyalty killer.
Why would they want to stop rewarding passengers who pay full fare J and F seats?
If you paid full fare J or F (i.e., you or your company can afford to do so), then you already receive many of the benefits (priority check-in, extra/free baggage, lounge access, etc.). And if you do so often enough, then you will have GLD/PLT/EXP status, earned yearly, which gives you the other benefits (bonus miles, mainly).
Old Aug 28, 11, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ILuvParis View Post
Are you sure you don't need 44,620 to become Platinum for the year (which would mean you have flown 5380 this year so far)? You need 2 million to be Lifetime Platinum.
Yes, that's probably what I'm seeing. I couldn't find any information on the AA website about LT Plat. Getting to Plat for this year only, and there's only 6 months left to go, wouldn't do me any good. I have no flights on AA planned until the end of March 2012. The only benefit I might get out of being Plat is being able to use a oneworld lounge while enroute to Quito, Ecuador flying AA in coach on e discounted ticket.

I'm going to see if I can exchange my upgrade stickers for the 35K miles. I'll never be able to use them by only being LT Gold. Living in Kansas City, none of my domestic AA flights are ever longer than 3 hours to get anywhere in the US.
Old Aug 28, 11, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Hertz 5*, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by susiesan View Post
Yes, that's probably what I'm seeing. I couldn't find any information on the AA website about LT Plat. Getting to Plat for this year only, and there's only 6 months left to go, wouldn't do me any good. I have no flights on AA planned until the end of March 2012. The only benefit I might get out of being Plat is being able to use a oneworld lounge while enroute to Quito, Ecuador flying AA in coach on e discounted ticket.

I'm going to see if I can exchange my upgrade stickers for the 35K miles. I'll never be able to use them by only being LT Gold. Living in Kansas City, none of my domestic AA flights are ever longer than 3 hours to get anywhere in the US.
Well, just to be clear, if you achieve PLT status anytime in 2011, you'll stay PLT until 2/2013. But you'd still need to fly ~44K before 31 Dec 2011 to do that. From your description of your travel patterns, that's a hefty amount of extra flying just to give you lounge access and double RDMs once or twice before 2/2013.
Old Aug 28, 11, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by FewMiles View Post
If you paid full fare J or F (i.e., you or your company can afford to do so), then you already receive many of the benefits (priority check-in, extra/free baggage, lounge access, etc.). And if you do so often enough, then you will have GLD/PLT/EXP status, earned yearly, which gives you the other benefits (bonus miles, mainly).
You receive them as long as you as you continue to work at a job where you travel on paid full fare J or F. Few people stay at jobs that require a lot of travel for their entire lives. The lifetime program was a nice reward for people who spent $50k/year on paid J or F for 6-7 years in that it allowed them/us to maintain our status even if our flying patterns changed.

The elimination of counting bonus points towards lifetime status means it will take literally twice as long (or more) to earn lifetime for yearly P or EXP, even assuming all miles were accumulated through flying (no credit cards, promos, etc.).

Is $400,000 (the amount I would have spent to receive LTP under the current program with flying alone) not worth the cost to AA of awarding me LTP? Only they can decide that. I've probably already spent about $100,000 at this point. Unfortunately, that doesn't take me far enough to make it worth my while to continue under the new program, and the remaining $300,000k will most likely go elsewhere.
Old Aug 28, 11, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by 2millionquest View Post
Well, just to be clear, if you achieve PLT status anytime in 2011, you'll stay PLT until 2/2013. But you'd still need to fly ~44K before 31 Dec 2011 to do that. From your description of your travel patterns, that's a hefty amount of extra flying just to give you lounge access and double RDMs once or twice before 2/2013.
Thanks for the clarification as to how long the Plat status would last. I could get the remaining 47,308 points need for PLT from credit card bonus/spend or SPG transfers. I was going to try for the 75K Citicard soon that I had before, canceled in Jan. 2011. I've read on another thread that it's churnable again after sitting out for a few months.

The airports I'll be passing through to Quito are DFW, MIA, and UIO. Are there any oneworld lounges in any of those cities? Does PLT status get me in to an AA lounge? I guess I would get double miles for the Quito trip to, right? Maybe I will try to get to PLT before 12/1.
Old Aug 28, 11, 1:29 pm

Programs: My views are strictly my own and do not reflect the views of any company.
Thanks for the clarification as to how long the Plat status would last. I could get the remaining 47,308 points need for PLT from credit card bonus/spend or SPG transfers. I was going to try for the 75K Citicard soon that I had before, canceled in Jan. 2011. I've read on another thread that it's churnable again after sitting out for a few months.

The airports I'll be passing through to Quito are DFW, MIA, and UIO. Are there any oneworld lounges in any of those cities? Does PLT status get me in to an AA lounge? I guess I would get double miles for the Quito trip to, right? Maybe I will try to get to PLT before 12/1.

I think you still are misunderstanding. If I read your original post correctly, you thought you needed 1.5 MM for Lifetime Plat. The goal is 2MM. If you are watching the yearly elite qualification towards Platinum then I read you need another 47k. You need to obtain the needed 47k towards yearly qualification from flying activity only. Flying is the only thing that will count for you right now on yearly requal. Of course, the Exec card from CBA does have that elite 10k on it after so much spending.
Old Aug 28, 11, 1:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I have not been flying for the sole purpose of getting lifetime Gold or Platinum status. In fact, I have been flying mostly for work for the sole purpose of getting from point A to point B in order to perform my job.

I have, however, been selecting AA as my exclusive carrier for work travel based in part upon the LTG/LTP benefit and the pursuit thereof. Now that that goal is no longer realistically attainable by me within a reasonable time frame, I have less incentive to remain loyal to one carrier. I agree 100% that the main "reward" for flying is redeemable miles and upgrades. However, I can get those on any carrier. In fact, there may be some advantage to spreading my spending around so that I can get status on a couple of different airlines. I'm not here to whine. Just observing that FOR ME (and I recognize others may have a different experience depending upon their different individual circumstances) there is no longer enough of an incentive to use AA exclusively for me to remain loyal.
I don't recall a time when a major FF program made big changes that were not followed by the others with something similar fairly soon thereafter. As I said, I am a member primarily to collect redeemable miles. Luckily, Im fairly close to 2 million lifetime miles, so I guess it's easy for me to talk, but if you ever plan on using the mile you collect and you switch to one of the other majors and find you can't use the miles (for anything other than the equivalent of an AAnytime award) and don't get upgraded all that frequently, you may wish you had stayed loyal. Just my .02.
Old Aug 28, 11, 1:37 pm

Wink just business as usual then

Originally Posted by trinity_in_texas View Post
I think you still are misunderstanding. You need to obtain the needed 47k towards yearly qualification from flying activity only.
Obviously, I was misunderstanding what a "point" is. I'm not going to do anything out of the ordinary to expedite PLT status. I am still going for the 75K bonus Citicard for the AA miles that I use towards vacation tickets. And if someday I get an email saying made LT PLT, all the good. It will be a nice surprise to add to my LT Gold.
Old Aug 28, 11, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Hertz 5*, HHonors Diamond

No, no, you're mixing the way miles are counted toward LT status with the way miles are counted toward year-to-year status. They are completely different counters.

You must put your butt in a seat (BIS) to get miles that count toward year-to-year status. The only time other miles count toward year-to-year status is if you fly on a route that qualifies for a DEQM promo.

Credit card spend, use of e-shopping portals, dining spend, et cetera currently count toward your lifetime total, but not your year-to-year status level. As of right now, your lifetime total and your MM total are the same. On 1 Dec 2011, that will change. Your lifetime total will remain the same, but the only miles that will count toward MM status will, as with year-to-year status qualification, only be BIS miles.

So the things you're talking about doing will help you get closer to LTP, but they won't have anything to do with your current status until you reach the 2MM mark. If you want PLT status before you reach 2MM, you must fly on an airplane to reach that status level.
Old Aug 28, 11, 1:46 pm

I don't quite understand. Maybe I was crunching the numbers badly, but being LTP would have increased rather than decreased my usage of AA, particularly with respect to personal economy travel in years in the future when I might not have enough business travel to qualify for status the old-fashioned way.
For me, AA would risk losing me crediting my miles to AS over AA if I had lifetime platinum. That way I could earn full miles on DL flights I take to BOS or ATL (in additional to continuing to earn full miles on AA/AS flights), but still enjoy AA PLT benefits of international lounge access and exit row seating. LT PLT would also make me a more price sensitive when booking AA travel as I would know my status was in the bag whether or not I booked AA. So AA's shift will probably earn them more business from me over the course of my life than not-shifting would have.

Last edited by dcAA; Aug 28, 11 at 1:54 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: