Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jambajuice
I thought even now we could exchange for bonus miles with our upgrade stickers as long as we talk nicely with the associate?
No. That easy exchange has long gone.

Now if it even is willing to consider it, AA would look at your history of flying and chances are, your history indicates you would be able to use the stickers even though you dont want to.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:56 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Am at 3.5M

While it would have been nice to get to that 4.0M in the sky, I am truly grateful for having made it this far in the program.

I honestly can understand why AA is doing this.

I wish everyone good travels in the future.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K,Hyatt Diamond,AA Lifetime Platinum,SPG
I don't think AA will sell their miles as 1 cent. Even we redeem the reward tickets while it does not affect AA too much since they have the award tickets control.

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
Unfortunately I disagree. AA is still an airline. Not a bank. Not a lending institution. They need to make their money flying paying pax. On the revenue side only, these frequent flyer bonanzas were terrific for AA, but what AA finally figured out along with its partners is that the bonanza was only smoke and mirrors.

So let's say you are a churner extraordinaire. This year, you enrolled in 3 cards when the 75k promos were available. You also opened a BD CD account and collected bunch more bonus miles that way. Then, a few months later, you close the credit card accounts after you hit the minimum spends of $1500 and you close the BD account as soon as you can. Then you book 4 J tickets on CX through AA with the 440k miles you earned through the bonuses of the cards, BD, Fidelity, etc.

The costs you would incur relative to the revenue you generated have to be staggering. If we assume that all partners paid AA 1 cent per mile, then they would have paid roughly $4,400 to earn your business. And in return, you generated how much revenue for the partners? That's right...a lot less.

And although AA made $4,400 off you by selling miles to its partners, they now have to pay CX for the 4 tix you booked using those miles you earned. And how much do those 4 seats cost AA? That's right...probably more than the $4,400 you generated in revenue.

The only saving grace is that not everyone is a pig and massive churner so those who maintain and continue to use services ultimately pay for at least a portion of the losses that the serial abusers incur at every step. But that said, can't you see why the airlines want to get rid of mileage chasers? The other alternative is to charge more for awards to mitigate the effect of churning/system abuse.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt GP Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold
I am at 1.1 MM.

Not much flying this year.

Would love to reach the 2MM point, or atleast near to that. I most probably will be flying about 50K miles/yr for the next few years.

Question for all the gurus out there:

I have about 300k Marriott points. Is there any good way I can bring them into AA?

Similarly, what is the best way to bring in Hilton points ==> not much, but around 30k points

Have about 250k Delta miles, is there any good way to bring them in?

Have about 40k United miles, is there any good way to bring them in?

I will have about 300k SPG points by Nov1, and I will bring them in then.

Last edited by FINASTORY; Aug 24, 2011 at 9:16 pm
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
Unfortunately I disagree. AA is still an airline. Not a bank. Not a lending institution. They need to make their money flying paying pax. On the revenue side only, these frequent flyer bonanzas were terrific for AA, but what AA finally figured out along with its partners is that the bonanza was only smoke and mirrors.
A concise, accurate and informed opinion, Sir. It's one thing for AA to promulgate multiples based on the class of service; it's another to get tangled up in lending/credit alliances that do very little to generate a cadre of devoted and tolerant customers that do not melt down when things are not perfect. This direction is the right one.//

Last edited by AATrout; Aug 24, 2011 at 9:21 pm
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kebosabi
Question regarding this portion:

Originally Posted by American Airlines
...or any eligible AAdvantage program participating airline...
Do all AA partner airlines flights count toward lifetime status or just a select few like EQM/EQP/EQS earning OW airlines and AS flights?
What part about "any eligible AAdvantage program participating airline" is not 100% clear? Here's the list of AAdvantage Airline Partners if you want to double-check.

Originally Posted by foxberg
This really sucks. The only reason I was accumulating AA miles is to eventually get to 1MM. I only fly enough to maintain Gold for the year.
Wow, really here. So you'll really be no worse off with or without 1MM status; you'll still have Gold. That sucks why?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:26 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by michaelbowser
American Airlines's announcement to quit counting every AAdvantage mile towards a flyer's lifetime status is an appalling decision. Every mile should count. Changing the rules for loyal customers in the middle of the game shows no respect for the loyalty received.

Show your support at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Let-Ev...866722?sk=wall
Welcome to FlyerTalk. Just to be clear, the AAdvantage program is 30 years old and "loyal" customers will still be rewarded, just not to same degree.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

...deleted . incorrect
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:33 pm

I don't know what to do. AA is not the cheapest carrier for me, but I viewed the difference in price as an investment toward lifetime status. Now those extra dollars don't have a return.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by lightbulb
I don't know what to do. AA is not the cheapest carrier for me, but I viewed the difference in price as an investment toward lifetime status.
Here is what you should do: don't view the difference in price "as an investment toward lifetime status" any longer.

Regards
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA PLT, MR Gold, HH Silver
Totally disappointed. The bonus miles and cc miles counting towards life time elite status were some of the key reasons that I had chosen Aadvantage over other FFPs given that Aadvantage is only a middle of the pack FFP.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
Here is what you should do: don't view the difference in price "as an investment toward lifetime status" any longer.

Regards
I used the past tense form.

a lot to think about the next few days.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by michaelbowser
American Airlines's announcement to quit counting every AAdvantage mile towards a flyer's lifetime status is an appalling decision. Every mile should count. Changing the rules for loyal customers in the middle of the game shows no respect for the loyalty received.

Show your support at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Let-Ev...866722?sk=wall
You know, if you're going to protest this, and want people to join in your protest, you should probably have some actual logic supporting your viewpoint.

Programs: AAdvantage PPro, LT Gold
Thanks to FT I will cross 1MM in September. I will then push to get as many miles as I can before 12-1-11 to help me on my quest for LTPL.

Originally Posted by lightbulb
I don't know what to do. AA is not the cheapest carrier for me, but I viewed the difference in price as an investment toward lifetime status. Now those extra dollars don't have a return.
May be worth it for ya to stay the course? Or look into other cheaper alternative airlines that can provide at least some return on your investment (hopefully).

Originally Posted by scubadu
Shame you wasted your time typing this response, and our time having to read it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.