Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2016, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by SpeedRicer
Still a bit confused as to how the new EQM system will work with the MM program -- since premium fares can now earn 2.0-3.0x EQMs, do you also get that multiplier towards Million Miler status now? Or is it just the actual flown miles?

Thought it would be flown miles, but I see a lot of references to base miles being the same as EQMs....

Thanks!
Higher-than-100%-of-flown EQP or class of service bonuses to RDM have never counted towards the million miler balance (well, not since that's been a separate balance; when it was just "program to date miles" CoS bonuses did count, just as the elite status bonus counted.)

One thing to watch out for is that under the outgoing system, partner flights that earned < 100% base miles only earned that many million-miler miles.

An example combining both is the I fare (discount business) on JAL. I flew KIX-BKK in I last year. That was 2585 flown miles, which earned:
1422 base miles, EQM, and million miler miles (2585*.55)
3,199 RDM (1422 + 100% PLT + 25% CoS)
2,133 EQP (inferred, since they don't show these on the statement - base * 1.5)
(As an aside, I didn't understand that EQP was base * 1.5 and not flown * 1.5, and had to do a quick SFO-LAX run at the end of the year...)

I'd be quite surprised if either of those changed under the new system; unless I've misread something it looks like that part it hasn't changed.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SpeedRicer
Still a bit confused as to how the new EQM system will work with the MM program -- since premium fares can now earn 2.0-3.0x EQMs, do you also get that multiplier towards Million Miler status now? Or is it just the actual flown miles?

Thought it would be flown miles, but I see a lot of references to base miles being the same as EQMs....

Thanks!
EQMs are separate from MM miles. MM miles are base miles. Here's some examples:
600 mile flight, fare earns 100% RDM, 50% EQM
You get 600 MM miles

Same flight, fare earns 150% RDM, 200% EQM
You get 600 MM miles

Same flight, fare earns 50% RDM, no EQM
You get 300 MM miles

Flight is 190 miles, fare earns 100% RDM, 100% EQM, you have 500 mile minimum
You get 190 MM miles, 500 RDM, 500EQM

Basically, you get up to 100% of BIS miles, with no minimum mile guarantee, tied to % of RDM earned.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 1:53 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by nkedel
Higher-than-100%-of-flown EQP or class of service bonuses to RDM have never counted towards the million miler balance (well, not since that's been a separate balance; when it was just "program to date miles" CoS bonuses did count, just as the elite status bonus counted.)

One thing to watch out for is that under the outgoing system, partner flights that earned < 100% base miles only earned that many million-miler miles.

An example combining both is the I fare (discount business) on JAL. I flew KIX-BKK in I last year. That was 2585 flown miles, which earned:
1422 base miles, EQM, and million miler miles (2585*.55)
3,199 RDM (1422 + 100% PLT + 25% CoS)
2,133 EQP (inferred, since they don't show these on the statement - base * 1.5)
(As an aside, I didn't understand that EQP was base * 1.5 and not flown * 1.5, and had to do a quick SFO-LAX run at the end of the year...)

I'd be quite surprised if either of those changed under the new system; unless I've misread something it looks like that part it hasn't changed.
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
EQMs are separate from MM miles. MM miles are base miles. Here's some examples:
600 mile flight, fare earns 100% RDM, 50% EQM
You get 600 MM miles

Same flight, fare earns 150% RDM, 200% EQM
You get 600 MM miles

Same flight, fare earns 50% RDM, no EQM
You get 300 MM miles

Flight is 190 miles, fare earns 100% RDM, 100% EQM, you have 500 mile minimum
You get 190 MM miles, 500 RDM, 500EQM

Basically, you get up to 100% of BIS miles, with no minimum mile guarantee, tied to % of RDM earned.
Thanks, that makes it a lot more clear. ^
Old Apr 12, 2016, 6:24 am

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
LAA vs LUS Million Miler Calculation

Does anyone recall how LAA calculated miles towards your Million Miler status? As an ex-US flyer, US, if I recall correctly, used BIS only. Thus my multiple trips to Asia etc on Star Alliance airlines did not count. Which by the way I used the SA because US did not fly to those locations so there was no way to use US.

I thought I heard/read that AA used a different formula and counted mileage that US did not. I'm just curious because if that is the case, it seems there should be some accommodation made for ex-US flyers.

My ratio of total miles to Million Miler is ~3:1. I have 3X as many total miles then what they credited toward my Million Miler status. I checked my account today and it appears at some point over the last several weeks, they removed the total miles number. Either that or they moved it and I have not found it yet. (I wouldn't be surprised if they removed it.) I know in my case it was a bit disheartening to see I have X miles and only 1/3X are towards Million Miler.

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 12, 2016, 6:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

At one time all mileage accrued counted towards attaining lifetime status. Some time back, AA changed it such that from that point onwards, only base mileage counted towards lifetime status

When the 2 schemes merged, the US balance of lifetime status was added to the AA lifetime status balance

There is no credit towards AA status due for other mileage accrued to US
Old Apr 12, 2016, 6:33 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Prior to December 1, 2011, million miler on LAA was technically an unpublished (but well known) program that counted every mile earned: BIS miles, elite bonus miles, class of service bonus miles, credit card miles etc etc. Every RDM you earned counted toward million miler.

Beginning December 1, 2011, LAA formalized the MM program and changed to BIS miles only, but this includes BIS miles on partners (at whatever, potentially partial, rate miles are earned on that partner for the fare purchased)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Apr 12, 2016, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by BMWMOT
I thought I heard/read that AA used a different formula and counted mileage that US did not. I'm just curious because if that is the case, it seems there should be some accommodation made for ex-US flyers.
You need to let it go. The program merge is done.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 7:21 am
Suspended

...I'm just curious because if that is the case, it seems there should be some accommodation made for ex-US flyers.
You recollection is partially correct as pointed out.

There were some similar calls from members at the time and I advised them that no such "adjustment" was being considered nor had been considered. That, of course, has not changed.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
The merger process did not go back 20 years to re-calculate all of your miles on a different basis then had been used by US, and I don't believe there's any possibility they will do that. Especially this long after the merger completion.

US balances were added to AA balances. End of story. Move forward.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Does anyone recall how LAA calculated miles towards your Million Miler status? As an ex-US flyer, US, if I recall correctly, used BIS only. Thus my multiple trips to Asia etc on Star Alliance airlines did not count. Which by the way I used the SA because US did not fly to those locations so there was no way to use US.

My ratio of total miles to Million Miler is ~3:1. I have 3X as many total miles then what they credited toward my Million Miler status. I checked my account today and it appears at some point over the last several weeks, they removed the total miles number. Either that or they moved it and I have not found it yet. (I wouldn't be surprised if they removed it.) I know in my case it was a bit disheartening to see I have X miles and only 1/3X are towards Million Miler.

Thanks in advance
LAA counted all earned miles up through 12/2011 toward MM status. After that, BIS on AA/OW only (with the exception of CC miles for 1 year). My ratio of total miles to MM miles is also roughly 3:1. I also cannot see total lifetime earned miles on AA.com anymore, but it's not really a relevant number these days.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!

Thanks in advance
Write it in and complain. CO did it for the UA folks and got a huge one time boost (since it was much easier for CO to accrue MM status)...but this is Doug Parker we are talking about, so your chance is slim to none.

As with most of these items, if enough people complain, they will do something. Otherwise, they won't.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ps9a
LAA counted all earned miles up through 12/2011 toward MM status. After that, BIS on AA/OW only (with the exception of CC miles for 1 year). My ratio of total miles to MM miles is also roughly 3:1. I also cannot see total lifetime earned miles on AA.com anymore, but it's not really a relevant number these days.
Just to be totally accurate, only Citi AA Exec miles counted for that next year. Regular AA cards didn't count.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
Consistent way of commemorating million miler flight?

Hi all, I'm new to FlyerTalk -- thank you for your patience!

I'm going to be passing the 1 MM mark on a flight next week. Does AA have any consistent way of recognizing flyers on their MM flight? I've heard UA sometimes gives its MMs a commemorative card. Anything similar for AA?

Thanks!
Old Jul 14, 2016, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
You'll get a card in the mail. Nothing special on the flight itself, most likely.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Zero chance of anything happening on the flight.

You will get 8 500 mile sticker upgrades when the flight posts, IIRC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.