Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2012, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by nkedel
It's unlikely that they would; devaluing them is more likely, and indeed, I think probably coming sooner rather than later (note the time limit on MCE for Golds, and United's move to a 4-tier status hierarchy.)
Devaluing as opposed to removal is likely. I fly DL as well as AA and have noticed that DL Silver (equivalent to AA Gold) has virtually no value other than I think they get to board ahead of steerage class On DL, even the next level up (Gold) does not seem to have much success on upgrades. With the DL Diamond program, I'm able to grant my wife DL Gold status, and at best she upgrades 40% of the time. It appears that most carriers are increasing the requirements for top tier attainment and lopping off an value for the bottom two tiers. For now at least, it is still easier to attain AA Exec Plat than to obtain DL Diamond or UA 1K (status match programs aside).
Old May 27, 2012, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 60K "old miles"
Originally Posted by rrgg
I don't understand. If and when AA emerges from bankruptcy, wouldn't they want to leave AAdvantage untouched for a while so as not to drive anyone away? I can't tell if you're saying you know something or you're just guessing something will change "in the next months."
1. Within the next month you will know if the contracts are canceled, left intact, or renegotiated prior to the judges decision. This and specifics of the result will give you better information on the future viability of AA.

2. Within 6 months you should have a good idea if AA will merge with US, other airlines, or standalone. Again details will provide you with a better ability to judge the future viability of AA.

3. The outcome of 1 & 2 plus relevant news regarding Aadvantage will give you better information to judge the future value of your position in Aadvantage.

It's no guess, these things will happen. Sometimes it is wise to wait for better information.
Old May 27, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by bubba198
1. Within the next month you will know if the contracts are canceled, left intact, or renegotiated prior to the judges decision. This and specifics of the result will give you better information on the future viability of AA.

2. Within 6 months you should have a good idea if AA will merge with US, other airlines, or standalone. Again details will provide you with a better ability to judge the future viability of AA.

3. The outcome of 1 & 2 plus relevant news regarding Aadvantage will give you better information to judge the future value of your position in Aadvantage.

It's no guess, these things will happen. Sometimes it is wise to wait for better information.
A better informed flyer is a happier flyer, but in the meantime you still need to go to the airport and fly to wherever your job takes you. I see no reason to hold back flying from AA in order to fly an alternative (e.g. DL or UA) unless the present conditions make one of them favorable to your patterns. I'm shifting to an increase in AA flying this year on a GUESS that the ultimate resolution will be AAdvantage left in tact and AA having additional hubs in PHX, CLT, and PHL. I don't see high risk in the AAdvantage program, although I am hedging by insuring that I keep my DL Diamond alive as well as reaching AA Exec Plat.
Old May 27, 2012, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 60K "old miles"
Originally Posted by ksweeney
A better informed flyer is a happier flyer, but in the meantime you still need to go to the airport and fly to wherever your job takes you. I see no reason to hold back flying from AA in order to fly an alternative (e.g. DL or UA) unless the present conditions make one of them favorable to your patterns. I'm shifting to an increase in AA flying this year on a GUESS that the ultimate resolution will be AAdvantage left in tact and AA having additional hubs in PHX, CLT, and PHL. I don't see high risk in the AAdvantage program, although I am hedging by insuring that I keep my DL Diamond alive as well as reaching AA Exec Plat.
I wasn't arguing don't fly, I was suggesting use miles for private travel until there is a clarification of the future. I will probably do mile usual 70 or 80k much of it on AA or Oneworld miles.
Old May 27, 2012, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by DebBrown
With the bankruptcy and possible merger looming, do people think it is worth pursuing 2MM? I'm about 90k away from it but not that frequent of a flyer these days.

If I were to pursue LT Plat, I'd be buying international tickets and upgrading with miles + copay. Otherwise, I'd be burning my miles on C award tickets. I've got a couple international trips coming up in the next year and trying to make a decision.

Deb
There's OneWorld status and I guess that there's also the possibility of a status match with another airline and LTP might get you matched to a higher level. Or not.

With only 90K to LTP, I'd go for it.
Old May 27, 2012, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by bubba198
I wasn't arguing don't fly, I was suggesting use miles for private travel until there is a clarification of the future. I will probably do mile usual 70 or 80k much of it on AA or Oneworld miles.
I agree - hopefully this will unfold sooner than the end of the exclusive rights period that AA management is currently working under. I'm never a fan of uncertainty
Old Jun 4, 2012, 12:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Million Miler miles for AA Vacations?

Do you get miles applied to million-miler status if you book through AA Vacations? I just want to see if anyone has direct experience earning (or not earning) toward MM status.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by hbtr
Do you get miles applied to million-miler status if you book through AA Vacations? I just want to see if anyone has direct experience earning (or not earning) toward MM status.
Not anymore. Only the flights themselves will count.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 9:52 am

Programs: AA 2 MM Plt, *wood Plt
Million Miler - Spouse/Companion Status Match?

I was searching UA for something else, and found this page:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...fetime.aspx#tc

One interesting section discusses how a Million Miler can share elite status with a spouse/companion.
"Annual Companion Premier status
As a Million Miler you may invite your spouse or significant other to share your current Premier status. This membership is non-transferable and will automatically renew each year unless you let us know otherwise."

Does AA have anything like this?

Thanks in advance. I tried searching the AA forum for 'spouse status match' and 'million miler spouse' and a few other phrases with no success.

Last edited by WestLA-FF; Jun 16, 2012 at 9:56 am Reason: Added quote from UA page
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:01 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by WestLA-FF

Does AA have anything like this?
Nope.

Cheers.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
The only program that offers something similar is the AA Elite Rewards program that allows an EXP or Platinum flyer who reaches an (elevated) mileage level to gift Gold status to someone.

Details are here http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/eliteStr...e=eliterewards
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:54 am
wjj

Programs: Former long time AA EXP and CK - 4 MM; Now LTPL; Hilton Diamond; UA Platinum
Doesn't UA award lifetime (i.e., life of the program) 1K status to the flyer and a spouse when they hit 3 million miles?

When I hit 3 million at AA I got.........2 bag tags and 4 SWUs. Though the tags are nice, lifetime EXP for my wife and I would be a whole lot nicer.

Seriously, after reaching 2 million miles on AA which gets you lifetime Platinum status, what is the incentive to rack up a couple million more miles on AA when moving to UA or even Delta could get you additional lifetime benefits.

I think the Advantage program is far superior to UA MP is many ways, which is why I fly mainly AA, but awarding bag tags and SWUs for million mile increments seems to be a gaping hole in the program when UA and Delta are awarding higher levels of lifetime status at those million mile increments.

Or is there some secret threshold out there? 4 million miles perhaps?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:24 am

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by wjj
Doesn't UA award lifetime (i.e., life of the program) 1K status to the flyer and a spouse when they hit 3 million miles
Yup-- but in fairness to AA, until recently, 3MM (or any lifetime threshold) was far easier to hit on AA than UA/CO.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by ps9a
Yup-- but in fairness to AA, until recently, 3MM (or any lifetime threshold) was far easier to hit on AA than UA/CO.
Yes, my one regret in moving over to AA recently is that I've missed the chance for all the easy miles, yet the benefits of hitting the milestones are still reflective of those old days. Although UA downgraded their MM benefits when CO took over, they're still distinctly superior to AA's. One can hope that after slowing the growth of the MM ranks, AA will now now consider upgrading the benefits.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by wjj
Seriously, after reaching 2 million miles on AA which gets you lifetime Platinum status, what is the incentive to rack up a couple million more miles on AA when moving to UA or even Delta could get you additional lifetime benefits.
UA seems to view the word "lifetime" differently than I view it. When I reached 1 million flight miles at UA in 2010, I was promised a package of lifetime benefits that they have now reduced. If I had known they had planned to reduce those benefits, I would have moved my last 150K of flying over to AA. Are you sure the million mile benefits as published by UA today won't change again? I haven't put a single mile on UA since they changed the 1MM benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.