Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning EQM / EQD on Qatar / QR, missing & delayed miles.

Earning EQM / EQD on Qatar / QR, missing & delayed miles.

    Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 7, 20, 3:08 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Earning Elite Qualifying Miles and Dollars, and Award Miles Flying on Qatar Airways link to page on aa.com

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Qatar Airways marketed and operated flights as well as Qatar Airways codeshare flights operated by oneworld® carriers and affiliates:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket in an eligible booking code
  • Fly an eligible route
On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket. Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable.

AFFILIATE AIRLINES (none)

Qatar Airways marketed (“codeshare”) flights must be operated by a oneworld® or affiliate airline to earn AAdvantage miles. The ticketing or selling carrier or agent is immaterial to earnings.

Miles and other earnings may take a week or longer, and in some reported instances have not posted at all without intervention.

It is always advised to try to assure your AA Frequent Flyer Number is on your boarding passes, and we always advise retaining your boarding passes (or take screen shots of e-boarding passes) until your earnings have all posted.

Also see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-partners.html

Print Wikipost

Old Dec 19, 19, 12:44 am
  #46  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 417
I'm looking at a flight DOH-BOS-DEN with the last leg on B6 (jetblue) as a QR codeshare. Am I correct to think there will be no credit for that last leg? Going off this:

"To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Qatar Airways marketed and operated flights, as well as Qatar Airways codeshare flights operated by oneworld® carriers and affiliates"

I can't find it listed as an affiliate anywhere and know it's not a member.
drewp123 is offline  
Old Dec 19, 19, 6:37 am
  #47  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 6,965
Originally Posted by drewp123 View Post
I'm looking at a flight DOH-BOS-DEN with the last leg on B6 (jetblue) as a QR codeshare. Am I correct to think there will be no credit for that last leg? Going off this:

"To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Qatar Airways marketed and operated flights, as well as Qatar Airways codeshare flights operated by oneworld® carriers and affiliates"

I can't find it listed as an affiliate anywhere and know it's not a member.
Correct you will not earn AA miles for a QR marketed B6 operated flight.
drewp123 likes this.
JJeffrey is offline  
Old Dec 31, 19, 10:51 am
  #48  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Durham, NC (RDU/GSO/CLT)
Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA Gold, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Disc, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 31,063
Originally Posted by pbd456 View Post
Any recent data point for QR posting on AA? I have a flight on Dec 24. wondering if I should put my AA number or do a retro claim? I dont want to get SWU until 2020
I flew QR on 12/23, 12/24 and two flights 12/30. All booked via QR's website. All miles posted within 1-2 days of departure.
CMK10 is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 9:39 pm
  #49  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Leon, MX
Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 170
We flew on January 29th and still waiting. I wasn’t thinking and threw away the stubs but my partner on same PNR has his. I do remember seeing my FF# on the ticket so am pretty sure am fine.
miket is offline  
Old Feb 23, 20, 4:00 pm
  #50  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 1
Question Qatar Earn on American

Quick question about my American Airlines EQM earn for an upcoming trip on Qatar Airways.

I'm booked in business class from Dallas to Cape Town and back through Doha. I know that the mileage earn is miles traveled * 1.5 (cabin class bonus) Additionally, I'm Gold on American Airlines, and it says I'm eligible for 40% additional miles.

Does the earn for being Gold on AA include travel on Qatar Airways? If so, is the 40% bonus applied before or after the cabin class bonus? Does that contribute to the total EQM earn for the trip, or just towards AAdvantage miles?

Thank you!!
burt_macklin is offline  
Old Feb 23, 20, 4:23 pm
  #51  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SEA
Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond
Posts: 2,481
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ines/qatar.jsp

Business bonus is either 25% or 0%.

Elite bonus miles are on base flight miles.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...p#mileagebonus
tkelvin69 is offline  
Old Feb 23, 20, 7:15 pm
  #52  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SFOSJCOAK
Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS MVP, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold
Posts: 6,268
Flew 3 flights on QR in J recently. All credits posted on AA with 1 day after flight, respectively.
allset2travel is offline  
Old Feb 25, 20, 11:45 am
  #53  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: TPA
Programs: Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold; IHG Gold
Posts: 2,552
Originally Posted by burt_macklin View Post
Quick question about my American Airlines EQM earn for an upcoming trip on Qatar Airways.

I'm booked in business class from Dallas to Cape Town and back through Doha. I know that the mileage earn is miles traveled * 1.5 (cabin class bonus) Additionally, I'm Gold on American Airlines, and it says I'm eligible for 40% additional miles.

Does the earn for being Gold on AA include travel on Qatar Airways? If so, is the 40% bonus applied before or after the cabin class bonus? Does that contribute to the total EQM earn for the trip, or just towards AAdvantage miles?

Thank you!!
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The added mile bonus you earn for status applies only to award miles, not to EQM. Sorry.
SpammersAreScum is offline  
Old Mar 12, 20, 8:01 pm
  #54  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 16
Mileage Earning on Qatar?

I'm considering a trip to Africa in April from the US on Qatar Airways, which would involve a layover in Doha. Would this earn miles if credited to my AAdvantage account? The AA website includes the language below, and I just want to confirm that this would include earning for trips that neither begin nor end in the Middle East:

Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Qatar within the Middle East and between the Middle East and:
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Canada
  • Europe
  • South America
  • South Pacific
  • U.S.
wulflov is offline  
Old Mar 12, 20, 9:32 pm
  #55  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NYC
Programs: AA, Marriott
Posts: 62
Yeah, it'll count. US to Doha and Doha to Africa are "between the Middle East and" the "U.S." and "Africa."

I also learned this isn't that strict. I did YUL-DOH-BKK last year and it counted even though Canada isn't on the list.
Wayne Kao is offline  
Old Mar 12, 20, 10:00 pm
  #56  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 6,965
Originally Posted by wulflov View Post
I'm considering a trip to Africa in April from the US on Qatar Airways, which would involve a layover in Doha. Would this earn miles if credited to my AAdvantage account? The AA website includes the language below, and I just want to confirm that this would include earning for trips that neither begin nor end in the Middle East:

Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Qatar within the Middle East and between the Middle East and:
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Canada
  • Europe
  • South America
  • South Pacific
  • U.S.
That section at aa.com is only meant as a rough guide of where each carrier flies their own metal, not a hard and fast list of what flights are or are not eligible for mileage credit.

Assuming you book eligible fare codes then you'll earn miles/EQD/etc. flying QR from the US-DOH-Africa and back.
JJeffrey is offline  
Old Mar 12, 20, 11:13 pm
  #57  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: DFW
Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 63
The above point about eligible fare codes is very important.

Your EQDs and EQMs will vary according to fare class. Straight Y gives you 1 EQM per mile flown. Any discounted Economy is only 0.5 EQM per mile flown. For example, DFW-DOH is around 7,900 miles. Flying a straight Y gives you 7,900 EQM. However, any discounted coach fare (B-class or 12 others) only would give you 3,950 EQMs. Business and above class fares are 1.5 EQMs per mile flown (not 2-3 like on AA flights).

As far as EQDs are concerned, these are calculated based on the actual flight mileage multiplied by a fare code factor. For straight Y, that factor is 20%, or 0.2 times the actual mileage. Again, with the example of DFW-DOH route (roughly 7,900 miles one-way) the EQDs for that segment would be $1,580. Discounted Economy fares have lower factors and therefore result in fewer EQDs. All of this is on AA’s website under “AAdvantage program > Earn miles > Partner airlines”. I don’t post enough here to be able to share a link.

Keep in mind all of this information is only relevant for travel ticketed as QR flights. AA flights on QR metal earn the same EQDs and EQMs as if these were actually AA planes.

Finally, I did a US- Africa routing a couple years ago instead of going through LHR or MAD. It was a good decision.
Close2KADS is offline  
Old Mar 13, 20, 4:07 pm
  #58  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 16
Thanks all! I'm leaning towards the Qatar routing since who knows if the connecting flights via Europe will be cancelled
wulflov is offline  
Old May 14, 20, 5:30 pm
  #59  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, AAdvantage Platinum, Air Canada 25K
Posts: 19
QR credit to AAdvantage

Hello all,

This may be the wrong place to post but is anyone aware of a calculator or the formula for how Qatar flights credit to AAdvantage? I would appreciate any info you could offer!
135pilot is online now  
Old May 14, 20, 5:33 pm
  #60  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 4,685
Originally Posted by 135pilot View Post
Hello all,

This may be the wrong place to post but is anyone aware of a calculator or the formula for how Qatar flights credit to AAdvantage? I would appreciate any info you could offer!
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ines/qatar.jsp

James
Flying for Fun is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: