FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Earning miles / LP on Qatar / QR, missing & delayed miles. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1966268-earning-miles-lp-qatar-qr-missing-delayed-miles.html)

drewp123 Dec 18, 2019 11:44 pm

I'm looking at a flight DOH-BOS-DEN with the last leg on B6 (jetblue) as a QR codeshare. Am I correct to think there will be no credit for that last leg? Going off this:

"To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Qatar Airways marketed and operated flights, as well as Qatar Airways codeshare flights operated by oneworld® carriers and affiliates"

I can't find it listed as an affiliate anywhere and know it's not a member.

JJeffrey Dec 19, 2019 5:37 am

Originally Posted by drewp123 (Post 31855305)
I'm looking at a flight DOH-BOS-DEN with the last leg on B6 (jetblue) as a QR codeshare. Am I correct to think there will be no credit for that last leg? Going off this:

"To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Qatar Airways marketed and operated flights, as well as Qatar Airways codeshare flights operated by oneworld® carriers and affiliates"

I can't find it listed as an affiliate anywhere and know it's not a member.

Correct you will not earn AA miles for a QR marketed B6 operated flight.

CMK10 Dec 31, 2019 9:51 am

Originally Posted by pbd456 (Post 31660268)
Any recent data point for QR posting on AA? I have a flight on Dec 24. wondering if I should put my AA number or do a retro claim? I dont want to get SWU until 2020

I flew QR on 12/23, 12/24 and two flights 12/30. All booked via QR's website. All miles posted within 1-2 days of departure.

miket Feb 12, 2020 8:39 pm

We flew on January 29th and still waiting. I wasn’t thinking and threw away the stubs but my partner on same PNR has his. I do remember seeing my FF# on the ticket so am pretty sure am fine.

burt_macklin Feb 23, 2020 3:00 pm

Qatar Earn on American

Quick question about my American Airlines EQM earn for an upcoming trip on Qatar Airways.

I'm booked in business class from Dallas to Cape Town and back through Doha. I know that the mileage earn is miles traveled * 1.5 (cabin class bonus) Additionally, I'm Gold on American Airlines, and it says I'm eligible for 40% additional miles.

Does the earn for being Gold on AA include travel on Qatar Airways? If so, is the 40% bonus applied before or after the cabin class bonus? Does that contribute to the total EQM earn for the trip, or just towards AAdvantage miles?

Thank you!!

tkelvin69 Feb 23, 2020 3:23 pm

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ines/qatar.jsp

Business bonus is either 25% or 0%.

Elite bonus miles are on base flight miles.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...p#mileagebonus

allset2travel Feb 23, 2020 6:15 pm

Flew 3 flights on QR in J recently. All credits posted on AA with 1 day after flight, respectively.

SpammersAreScum Feb 25, 2020 10:45 am

Originally Posted by burt_macklin (Post 32104528)
Quick question about my American Airlines EQM earn for an upcoming trip on Qatar Airways.

I'm booked in business class from Dallas to Cape Town and back through Doha. I know that the mileage earn is miles traveled * 1.5 (cabin class bonus) Additionally, I'm Gold on American Airlines, and it says I'm eligible for 40% additional miles.

Does the earn for being Gold on AA include travel on Qatar Airways? If so, is the 40% bonus applied before or after the cabin class bonus? Does that contribute to the total EQM earn for the trip, or just towards AAdvantage miles?

Thank you!!

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The added mile bonus you earn for status applies only to award miles, not to EQM. Sorry.

wulflov Mar 12, 2020 7:01 pm

Mileage Earning on Qatar?

I'm considering a trip to Africa in April from the US on Qatar Airways, which would involve a layover in Doha. Would this earn miles if credited to my AAdvantage account? The AA website includes the language below, and I just want to confirm that this would include earning for trips that neither begin nor end in the Middle East:

Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Qatar within the Middle East and between the Middle East and:
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Canada
  • Europe
  • South America
  • South Pacific
  • U.S.

A321T Mar 12, 2020 8:32 pm

Yeah, it'll count. US to Doha and Doha to Africa are "between the Middle East and" the "U.S." and "Africa."

I also learned this isn't that strict. I did YUL-DOH-BKK last year and it counted even though Canada isn't on the list.

JJeffrey Mar 12, 2020 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by wulflov (Post 32176695)
I'm considering a trip to Africa in April from the US on Qatar Airways, which would involve a layover in Doha. Would this earn miles if credited to my AAdvantage account? The AA website includes the language below, and I just want to confirm that this would include earning for trips that neither begin nor end in the Middle East:

Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Qatar within the Middle East and between the Middle East and:
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Canada
  • Europe
  • South America
  • South Pacific
  • U.S.

That section at aa.com is only meant as a rough guide of where each carrier flies their own metal, not a hard and fast list of what flights are or are not eligible for mileage credit.

Assuming you book eligible fare codes then you'll earn miles/EQD/etc. flying QR from the US-DOH-Africa and back.

Close2KADS Mar 12, 2020 10:13 pm

The above point about eligible fare codes is very important.

Your EQDs and EQMs will vary according to fare class. Straight Y gives you 1 EQM per mile flown. Any discounted Economy is only 0.5 EQM per mile flown. For example, DFW-DOH is around 7,900 miles. Flying a straight Y gives you 7,900 EQM. However, any discounted coach fare (B-class or 12 others) only would give you 3,950 EQMs. Business and above class fares are 1.5 EQMs per mile flown (not 2-3 like on AA flights).

As far as EQDs are concerned, these are calculated based on the actual flight mileage multiplied by a fare code factor. For straight Y, that factor is 20%, or 0.2 times the actual mileage. Again, with the example of DFW-DOH route (roughly 7,900 miles one-way) the EQDs for that segment would be $1,580. Discounted Economy fares have lower factors and therefore result in fewer EQDs. All of this is on AA’s website under “AAdvantage program > Earn miles > Partner airlines”. I don’t post enough here to be able to share a link.

Keep in mind all of this information is only relevant for travel ticketed as QR flights. AA flights on QR metal earn the same EQDs and EQMs as if these were actually AA planes.

Finally, I did a US- Africa routing a couple years ago instead of going through LHR or MAD. It was a good decision.

wulflov Mar 13, 2020 3:07 pm

Thanks all! I'm leaning towards the Qatar routing since who knows if the connecting flights via Europe will be cancelled

135pilot May 14, 2020 4:30 pm

QR credit to AAdvantage

Hello all,

This may be the wrong place to post but is anyone aware of a calculator or the formula for how Qatar flights credit to AAdvantage? I would appreciate any info you could offer!

Flying for Fun May 14, 2020 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by 135pilot (Post 32375942)
Hello all,

This may be the wrong place to post but is anyone aware of a calculator or the formula for how Qatar flights credit to AAdvantage? I would appreciate any info you could offer!

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ines/qatar.jsp

James