Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Where is the SWU available? (Are SWU usable / useful?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where is the SWU available? (Are SWU usable / useful?)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
In the past three years, I’ve not been able to use SWUs to book anything other than upgrades from J to F. Each year, I have between 3 and 5 SWUs that expire.

Near useless IME.

Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by embarcadero1
In the past three years, I’ve not been able to use SWUs to book anything other than upgrades from J to F. Each year, I have between 3 and 5 SWUs that expire.

Near useless IME.

Clearing at booking? Or clearing at all?

I've missed 1 SWU out of like 40 in the last several years. And that was on a DFW-LHR flight that had 10 CK and 55 EXPs on board.
Zacnlinc, bse118 and econometrics like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
I managed to use this year's 4 SWU for Y-->J on JFK-CDG-JFK and J-->F HKG-DFW, LAX-HKG. Based on flying I should have like 8 SWU next year, we'll see if they get put to use.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by WPHamilton
I've got a few SWU on AA but cannot find anything outside of the US to use them. I cannot find ANYTHING and really hate wasting a SWU on a domestic flight! Help!!
To help you we really need to know your priorities. Are you looking to travel to a specific destination or at a specific time?

If you’re like most people and can’t plan your vacation’s timing, length, and budget entirely around SWU availability, then book your flights on planes with large J cabins, aim for midweek flights, apply the SWUs to get on the waitlist, and hope for the best. Even adjusting down for the possibility the upgrade doesn’t clear, this is a much more valuable use of an SWU than blowing it on some midcon with guaranteed C availability.

You could also use EF to try and target specific flights with a large number of unsold J seats, but IME this is a fool’s errand given the number of last minute bookings and cancellations.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
I do not gamble on clearing prior to booking, I’m not going to gamble on 12 hour trips. I choose BA first first AA unless there is easy, convenient F space that costs less than BA first.

AA SWUs are useless.
LINDEGR likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by tom911
I'd be curious if that just popped up in the last day or two or has been out there for weeks/months. Have you been tracking that flight? Last time I took it, with two non-status friends, availability literally opened at the gate and they got the last two seats with a pair of my systemwides.
I have been tracking 125/6 and 192/3 for some time. AA125/6 usually doesn't have any C seats published, but from the seat maps I infer on weekdays there are quite a bit of people who clear the waitlist into J. AA192/3 sometimes have confirmable C seats released.

The best route to asia might be the 2nd DFW-NRT flight, which during weekdays constantly sees C space
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: United Premier Platinum
I do not gamble on clearing prior to booking, I’m not going to gamble on 12 hour trips. I choose BA first first AA unless there is easy, convenient F space that costs less than BA first.

AA SWUs are useless.
For someone like you who flies paid F everywhere, maybe they are. For the vast majority of people, SWUs can be quite valuable.
ijgordon, Zacnlinc, bse118 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond

AA SWUs are useless.
It's certainly your prerogative to not want to waitlist. That's fine. And your decision to make. No judgement from me on that personal choice.

But by voluntarily eliminating a large part of the potential use of SWUs - it's hard to declare them useless writ large.

If your SWUs are truly useless to you - let me know, I've got several upcoming trips where it'd be nice to have SWUs to waitlist - considering I've only got one left in my account (since it looks like I'm about to suffer my first ever miss on an SWU tonight).
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by bse118
since it looks like I'm about to suffer my first ever miss on an SWU tonight).
Well are you still batting1000?
embarcadero1 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
Well are you still batting1000?
Nope. Finally missed one. Was bound to happen at some point.

AA193 on 4/22 - J was overbooked, no-one cleared at the gate.

I ended up in W (originally booked in regular Y), slept 11 of the 14.5 hours in flight, and am feeling remarkably good. Didn't want for my first SWU miss to be on a 15 hour transpac, but really not that bad in the end.
Zacnlinc, chitink and krakendown like this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by bse118
It's certainly your prerogative to not want to waitlist. That's fine. And your decision to make. No judgement from me on that personal choice.

But by voluntarily eliminating a large part of the potential use of SWUs - it's hard to declare them useless writ large.

If your SWUs are truly useless to you - let me know, I've got several upcoming trips where it'd be nice to have SWUs to waitlist - considering I've only got one left in my account (since it looks like I'm about to suffer my first ever miss on an SWU tonight).
Playing the upgrade game is certainly your personal choice to make. I travel for work, so not interested in taking up gambling as a hobby. I don’t judge, but I don’t want to live that way.

SWUs are useless. AA knows that to be the case, which is why they’ve all but eliminated confirmable upgrade space.

beachfan, LINDEGR and enviroian like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, Flying Blue-Silver

SWUs are useless. AA knows that to be the case, which is why they’ve all but eliminated confirmable upgrade space.

They (SWUs) certainly became dramatically less valuable domestically other than on the A-321T (where J->F is generally pretty available) after AA realigned the domestic F codes from F, A, P to J, D, I. Pre-realignment I found domestic Y->F upgrades on two cabin planes to be readily available (when the SWU booked into “A”); now that one has to search for “C” inventory to upgrade Y->F on two cabin planes domestically, they are virtually non-existent at time of ticketing IMO.
enviroian and E55 like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by PremiumSeat
now that one has to search for “C” inventory to upgrade Y->F on two cabin planes domestically, they are virtually non-existent at time of ticketing
Not just domestic, pretty much anywhere AA flies to internationally. A year ago I redeemed my SWU at booking for LHR, SCL, BCN, PEK, and PVG way out with no problems. Those days are long gone.

Useless.
embarcadero1 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Just booked Ord dfw nrt for Jan with confirmable upgrades for 3 at booking..the pnr was actually stored with the swu overnight and it was ticketed within 2 hours of purchase today. Even got first on Ord few for the three of us. I'm feeling like a pretty good use of swu.
chitink and krakendown like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I used all eight of my swu from 2018 ... Sydney, Buenos Aires, Santiago, Budapest. None clear that booking but they all cleared.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.