Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Where is the SWU available? (Are SWU usable / useful?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where is the SWU available? (Are SWU usable / useful?)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2022, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat
Question about EF and C inventory. I found C inventory available for LAX-LHR-CDG with LAX-LHR showing C7 on EF. I called AA, and they said no availability.

I then found LAX-JFK-CDG on EF w/ C7 inventory for both flights, and just to confirm, I checked each flight individually on EF, LAX-JFK and JFK-CDG again both show C7, but when I called AA they said no avail. Is EF wrong?
Old Mar 17, 2022, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frebay
Question about EF and C inventory. I found C inventory available for LAX-LHR-CDG with LAX-LHR showing C7 on EF. I called AA, and they said no availability.

I then found LAX-JFK-CDG on EF w/ C7 inventory for both flights, and just to confirm, I checked each flight individually on EF, LAX-JFK and JFK-CDG again both show C7, but when I called AA they said no avail. Is EF wrong?
Are you searching for upgrades or just C? C is not all upgrade space
Old Mar 17, 2022, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Are you searching for upgrades or just C? C is not all upgrade space
Wow thanks. I was going to flight availability and then entering in "C". I just went on EF and went to "awards and upgrades" and then entered C and sure enough everything is 0. What's the difference between the 2 C fares?
Old Mar 17, 2022, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frebay
Wow thanks. I was going to flight availability and then entering in "C". I just went on EF and went to "awards and upgrades" and then entered C and sure enough everything is 0. What's the difference between the 2 C fares?
C is a revenue fare class. A subset of it is for instrument upgrades. EF can tell the difference. I don't know exactly what's going on behind the scenes
Old Apr 2, 2022, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MarkOK
Honestly, I feel the same way. But, lots of people here report that they 'usually clear' at some point, and I can't diddle around with plans forever.
Cleared another Y--J SWU off the waitlist LHR-ORD today on a 789. I was the #1 on the list and the only one to clear, in fact I actually cleared the waitlist after boarding (was first given a premium economy seat as a complimentary EXP upgrade, after being told J had checked in full, was then moved up to J after I'd taken my PEY seat).

I've still only missed a grand total of two SWU requests in my time as EXP, dating to 2015 or so.
EXPLAT likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I don't know where the SWUs are, I haven't seen them lately, but AA has mile awards in J on the direct AA flights from ORD/PHL to ATH for April travel for 65-70k miles each way. Not a bad deal, great for Easter.

These are web specials, but for 65-70k on the direct flights to ATH are a steal...Some available for immediate travel.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 8:28 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Every so often I see people post here about the uselessness of SWUs.
I want to say that my wife and I earned 12 SWUs from travels last year (both EXP).
To date, we have applied 10 of these at the time of booking and I fully expect to use the other 2 within the next few months.
EXPLAT likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 8:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by apeortdz
Every so often I see people post here about the uselessness of SWUs.
I want to say that my wife and I earned 12 SWUs from travels last year (both EXP).
To date, we have applied 10 of these at the time of booking and I fully expect to use the other 2 within the next few months.
I'm guessing you have a lot of a flexibility in your travels and a subscription to ExpertFlyer to consistently screen for availability on multiple routes.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 10:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum
I was able to clear an SWU for a JFK-DEL flight in February 2023. Searched expertflyer and amazingly came across 1 C availability. Seemed like a unicorn since I haven't seen anything since. Also cleared 2 SWUs for an LHR-DFW flight next month.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by MarkOK
I'm guessing you have a lot of a flexibility in your travels and a subscription to ExpertFlyer to consistently screen for availability on multiple routes.
Flexibility - yes - plus or minus a few days.
Expert Flyer - definitely a must.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Cleared another Y--->J SWU at booking today, on the flight I wanted, on the day I needed to fly:

ZRH-PHL, 788 aircraft , Friday departure (about three weeks from today).

(outbound, via a DFW-LHR flight, is waitlisted, but chances look decent at the moment)
apeortdz likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Cleared 3 SWU for JFK-DEL on April 21st.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 6:59 am

Programs: AA EXP
Systemwide Upgrades, worthless?

I recently used a systemwide upgrade on a BOS to MCO itinerary connecting in MIA on 4/18. At the time I booked there was plenty of seats on the BOS to MIA flight. I’m EP so I usually get pretty good upgrades anyway but this one I REALLY wanted first and my systemwides are expiring in July so why not use one.

Well here we are 100 hours out, I have been upgraded on my Miami to Orlando flight, big deal I would’ve got that anyway with my EP status. But even since I woke up this morning seats on the Boston to Miami have dropped from 4 to 3.

So what is the point of them? I assumed it would’ve put me at the top of the list but I still seem to be getting bypassed. Are these things worthless or what? I’ve been EP for four years and I don’t think I’ve used one before, so I’m a little surprised and rather disappointed I haven’t been bumped yet. I would have paid for this upgrade if I didn’t think the system might upgrade would be effective, by now I’m sure a paid upgrade on those last three seats is going to be astronomical this close to departure.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
How do you know the flight dropping from 4 to 3 available in F wasn't just a semi last minute purchase?

In any event on a busy Easter holiday weekend flying from the NE to Florida with only 3 or 4 seats left up front it's not surprising at all that it hasn't cleared yet.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 7:21 am

They are definitely not worthless.
777lover likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.