FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Where is the SWU available? (Are SWU usable / useful?) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1966124-where-swu-available-swu-usable-useful.html)

SAT Lawyer May 25, 2019 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by econometrics (Post 31137324)
Pretty sure FRA-DFW was a 788? And CLT-FRA being a 332 then means both of those flights were just 20J. So that’s not terribly surprising.

FRA-DFW was a 37 seat 772. CLT-FRA was a 20 seat 332.

The fact that AA has small 20 seat cabins on a decent number of widebody frames certainly doesn’t do its SWU earners any favors. UA, as a point of comparison, has 36 seats in business on its 788s and 50 on the international 772 fleet. Much better for GPU applicants, although the 2-4-2 PMUA772s are certainly inferior to their AA counterparts in terms of shoulder comfort.

stephem May 26, 2019 8:19 am

I tend to see y-c confirmable at booking on stuff like the daytime flights to LHR on a Saturday morning but only from time to time. Very rarely some dfw-lhr pops up, but if you wait a day it’s gone.

Where these continue to have some value is w j-f upgrades. I have moved my entire family (5of us) up a few times now. AA continues to generous w the A bucket. Probably because their F is nothing special and doesn’t sell. But I’ll take it for lhr-lax or hkg-lax.

cova May 26, 2019 8:51 am

Flew on a MIA-LHR - 77W. Waitlisted for SWU but was 11 on the least. Passenger next to me, also EXP, was 8 and said there were 8 CK's wait listed for upgrade a few days before departure.. 4 total cleared at boarding time, and likely a few before.

Although I wonder why all these CK's in coach - why aren't they buying J? J seats were available for purchase up to boarding time.

enviroian May 26, 2019 9:29 am

Many more SWU failure stories seem to be the norm now.

Ugh.

Dad to Rei May 26, 2019 11:14 am

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer (Post 31136662)
I’ve now had SWU failures on two of my transatlantic crossings in 2019, putting me at a 33% success rate for
the year. JFK-BCN cleared after booking, but in advance of the date of travel in March; FRA-DFW didn’t clear in March (on a Saturday, surprisingly); and CLT-FRA didn’t clear in May. Ouch!

BCN seems to be a tough get, I had to be there for work earlier this year. Paid J about 2 months ahead, I booked the last seat in the cabin for the return BCN-PHL (That shocked me that far in advance). There was a little more availability on the way over. I noticed because my wife would have potentially come with, but for lack of being able to confirm SWU she did not.

I used expert flyer to watch the BCN-PHL flight the entire time, and no seats ever opened up in J.

Was also my first experience ever booking the last J seat, it was *NOT* cheap.

Dad to Rei May 26, 2019 11:18 am

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 31140054)
Many more SWU failure stories seem to be the norm now.

Ugh.

I am about to pull the trigger on a PHL-LHR Return, and am worried about exactly this. The PHL-LHR flight is super important for me to clear, so I am looking to confirm that (there is some limited availability). The return is less important by a lot on that trip, but I would for sure burn the SWU for it if I can.

enviroian May 26, 2019 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Dad to Rei (Post 31140281)
I am about to pull the trigger on a PHL-LHR Return, and am worried about exactly this. The PHL-LHR flight is super important for me to clear, so I am looking to confirm that (there is some limited availability). The return is less important by a lot on that trip, but I would for sure burn the SWU for it if I can.

That's a 332 right? Good luck with that. :(

nk15 May 26, 2019 12:18 pm

Some take home messages:

1. As it has been discussed before, some flights almost never have advance C space, except after T-48. Prime example is DFW-HKG.

2. Some routes have advance C space some times, most commonly around holidays or random dates. Common TPAC examples are the DFW and LAX flights to TYO, and sometimes LAX-HKG.

3. If you waitlist on anything other the 77W, good luck.

4. Somewhat depending on the route, waitlisting for midweek or sometimes earlier in the week international flights may have more chance of clearing.

Antarius May 26, 2019 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by nk15 (Post 31140416)
3. If you waitlist on anything other the 77W, good luck.

I disagree. While the 77W has 52J seats, AA uses these on very premium heavy routes. DFW-HKG, LAX-LHR, DFW-LHR can go out with 0 upgrades clearing.

If you fly the 77W off peak, like a Saturday or a tuesday, then yes, odds do improve, but it seems that the demand to seats ratio is higher on the 77W routes than others, and that is despite the 77W having a denominator that is 2.5 times that of the 788.

econometrics May 26, 2019 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by stephem (Post 31139906)
Where these continue to have some value is w j-f upgrades. I have moved my entire family (5of us) up a few times now. AA continues to generous w the A bucket. Probably because their F is nothing special and doesn’t sell. But I’ll take it for lhr-lax or hkg-lax.

Yep. I just upgraded to F on AA81 12 June coming back from TLV. As I like to work on the return TATL during the day, I find the upgrade to F worth it.

I had debated using an SWU to upgrade my outbound, which was DFW-JFK-LHR, as I would have been able to use FFD at DFW and JFK. But I just don’t sleep as well in the F seat, and I already had 3J selected. To me, the extra space and work area for a 10 hour day flight in F is worth more.

madderlake Feb 14, 2022 6:19 pm

With summer travel approaching I thought I'd revive this thread - any success clearing SWU for Europe travel this summer?

golfer20 Feb 14, 2022 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by madderlake (Post 33992286)
With summer travel approaching I thought I'd revive this thread - any success clearing SWU for Europe travel this summer?

Yes for JFK - MXP

Reetmafreen Feb 14, 2022 8:23 pm

I booked a LAX-LHR-PHX-SAN trip for Easter last week and was able to confirm all segments in business right after booking. There were numerous dates around my dates where EF showed C space on the TATLs as well as C space on the PHX-SAN leg

madderlake Feb 15, 2022 7:46 am

Thanks for that! I'm having similar luck with searches throughout May but once you get to June, everything drops off which I'm not surprised about since that's officially the start of 'summer travel' I guess? golfer20 was your JFK-MXP for June by chance? I have alerts set on EF for a bunch of routes but in the mean time, keep checking and hoping for miracles lol. My four SWU's expire in July and I'd like to try and use them for 2xRT to Europe in June if possible. Checking all the usual departure points of LAX (only one option tho to LHR), PHX, ORD, PHL, JFK, MIA, DFW. Anything I'm missing please let me know... thank you!

MarkOK Feb 15, 2022 8:25 am

I've been looking for DFW - Europe flights quite abit lately. Saw a few for DFW-LHR in late May/early June, but that is it.

At some point, I feel like I just need to book and then call to be put on the waiting list and hope they clear.