Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"Spirit isn't the worst airline in America anymore" - they beat AA (USA Today).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Spirit isn't the worst airline in America anymore" - they beat AA (USA Today).

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:50 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Does AQR (or any airline ranking) break out customer rankings based on elite status (and tier level) and non-elites. Take it a step further and compare those who have the affiliated credit cards with and without status. And so on. I'd like to see that kind of analysis.

E.g. Of 500 travelers polled who fly 1-3 times per year and have no elite status, the rankings were x,y,z.
railmatt likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by fastflyer
Is this the opinion of the Gen Pop? Because for those flyers with high status in AA, it's not at all a bad airline. I have an 80% upgrade percentage (far better than DL), access to Flagship Lounges (better than DL), better redemption values (just redeemed 3x business roundtrips to Europe in May at 57,500 each -- try that on Delta).
What routs?
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
The race to the bottom for this garbage airline continues with full fervor.
jerryss, LINDEGR and SFO777 like this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I suppose if AA had the financial performance of DL and better KPIs Parker and company could simply say they are conforming to market demand. The fact is AA had the same operating profit of WN but with double the revenue. From what I can gather AA management is not interested in improving operational performance and is instead focused on how to cheapen the product for most paxs (those that fly in Y). But improving operational performance costs money and Parker doesn't seem inclined to want to spend money in that area. The banking of hubs, particularly with the apparent ground issues likely causes numerous misconnects and pax frustration. But Parker won't back away from banked hubs and doesn't seem to care about ground operations unable to handle the tight banking parameters.

You would think just based upon financial performance, these surveys set aside, he's be under the gun to either improve the operation or move on. So far the BOD appears to be satisfied with his management, despite the lackluster financial and operational performance.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:02 pm

I doubt the average Kayaker cares too much about those ratings. They'll just buy the cheapest ticket, moan and groan about poor service, and do it all over again when that airline again shows up at the top of the list of low fares.
PurdueFlyer and Spanish like this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PHL
Does AQR (or any airline ranking) break out customer rankings based on elite status (and tier level) and non-elites. Take it a step further and compare those who have the affiliated credit cards with and without status. And so on. I'd like to see that kind of analysis.

E.g. Of 500 travelers polled who fly 1-3 times per year and have no elite status, the rankings were x,y,z.
It's a statistical study - not a customer satisfaction study. Do poorly in on-time arrivals, DOT baggage handling, IDB rates, and DOT customer complaint rates and you get a lousy score.

https://airlinequalityrating.com/
BearX220, JDiver, chrisny2 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rickg523
EVERY airline that practices price discrimination aggressively should be great for their high status flyers. That's the whole point of price discrimination and status upgrades.
You're characterization of AA as "not a bad airline" for those flyers seems damning with faint praise.
I stand by my characterization -- I fly about 175,000 miles per year. I have had high status with all three majors in the last few years, currently EXP with AA and Gold with DL. AA is currently the best in the categories I care about: (1) best in domestic upgrade %ages; (2) best in award redemptions -- soon to be the only major US carrier with a published award chart; (3) at a minimum, equal in quality with DL and UA for lounges.
kcmd likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stand by my characterization -- I fly about 175,000 miles per year. I have had high status with all three majors in the last few years, currently EXP with AA and Gold with DL. AA is currently the best in the categories I care about: (1) best in domestic upgrade %ages; (2) best in award redemptions -- soon to be the only major US carrier with a published award chart; (3) at a minimum, equal in quality with DL and UA for lounges.
I was agreeing with you. Just saying it would be really really bad if a high status AA flyer didn't say that. And that the same pertains for every airline that has similar price/class distinctions. Any airline that doesn't have it's high status flyers thinking it's the best airline is failing to fully exploit price discrimination theory.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AAdamE
What routs?
I am batting 80%age upgrades on my upgradeable domestic routes. (R class, meaning e500 electronic sticker upgrades, complimentary for EXPs). More information in the thread dedicated to that discussion.

Common routes:
CLT-MCI and vice versa
PBI-PHL and vv
CLT-PWM and vv
PBI-CLT and vv
MCI-LGA (seasonal)
ORD-MCI and vv
MIA-BOS

I haven't missed an upgrade in about five weeks now (knocks wood), including the usually risky PBI-DFW. My home market is a little weird in that there is a "season" from Thanksgiving to Easter, where things drop to around 70% (nonetheless better in 2019 than 2018, so far). Outside of that season I rarely miss an upgrade.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am batting 80%age upgrades on my upgradeable domestic routes. (R class, meaning e500 electronic sticker upgrades, complimentary for EXPs). More information in the thread dedicated to that discussion.

Common routes:
CLT-MCI and vice versa
PBI-PHL and vv
CLT-PWM and vv
PBI-CLT and vv
MCI-LGA (seasonal)
ORD-MCI and vv
MIA-BOS

I haven't missed an upgrade in about five weeks now (knocks wood), including the usually risky PBI-DFW. My home market is a little weird in that there is a "season" from Thanksgiving to Easter, where things drop to around 70% (nonetheless better in 2019 than 2018, so far). Outside of that season I rarely miss an upgrade.
Glad it works for you. I don't see DFW in your routings and you wouldn't probably enjoy your high percentage going through there. I'm currently at 11% upgrade rate DFW-XXX.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
I have flown 50 segments this year, it is very rare that I have a complete round trip without some sort of MX delay, I can only think of 2 so far this year. Weather I understand MX that's on the airline.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dgparent
I have flown 50 segments this year, it is very rare that I have a complete round trip without some sort of MX delay, I can only think of 2 so far this year. Weather I understand MX that's on the airline.
I've only flown two flights YTD that weren't delayed by mx reasons.

Old Apr 19, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
And they're pretty much all improving.
As an industry, yes. But not AA.

One of 3 airlines to get worse. #1 Alaska fell, and American joined Frontier as the two to decline at the bottom.

I guess the good news is that it's hard to go lower - Frontier appears to be winning the race to the bottom in a runaway.

Last edited by CPRich; Apr 19, 2019 at 2:23 pm
Old Apr 19, 2019, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
AS surprises me -aftermath and teething problems with the Virgin America merger?
Old Apr 19, 2019, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by PHL
Does AQR (or any airline ranking) break out customer rankings based on elite status (and tier level) and non-elites. Take it a step further and compare those who have the affiliated credit cards with and without status. And so on. I'd like to see that kind of analysis..
Of course you would. That's the beauty of these clickbait articles: They stimulate endless discussion about how they didn't slice the data just so, and they didn't include meeeeeeeee!

This particular clickbait rating includes exactly four specific criteria: Mishandled baggage, IDB rate (duh, they all went down, thanks Dr. Dao), consumer complaint rate, and on-time arrival percentage. That's it. Absolutely no other criteria.
C17PSGR likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.