Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Dynamic Award Pricing has arrived via tweak to Economy Web Specials

Old Apr 19, 19, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club

Looks like the first foray into dynamic award pricing is here. Check Economy Web Specials - they're not just cheaper saver awards anymore, they appear fully dynamic in their pricing.

Interesting that it appears alongside saver awards for the time being. And it's also for economy only. So I'm sure there is more to come.

In the immediate term, this has introduced some very interesting award opportunities around expensive holidays like Thanksgiving that you may want to book while they are still figuring out how to properly fleece us with dynamic awards.

Last edited by javabytes; Apr 19, 19 at 9:38 am
Old Apr 19, 19, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Relevant article: https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...egular-awards/
Old Apr 19, 19, 5:22 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
These "web special" awards have been pricing this way for months. I first posted observations of this back on Jan 2...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30600724-post6.html
Old Apr 19, 19, 8:08 am
formerly known as daveland

Programs: DL Gold, Alaska MVP, AA LT Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
I started trying to figure out what value for miles AA intends to give with dynAAmic pricing. It was far from a definitive conclusion after testing multiple routes and dates. What have you been seeing? Would love additional data points....

https://milestalk.com/american-airli...alue-per-mile/
Old Apr 19, 19, 8:23 am

Programs: AA/US - PlatinumPro; 1W Sapphire; HHonors - Silver; UA dirt
Yup, I noticed this a couple of days ago when I was looking at fares for MCO-DCA. Some days were very cheap (of course, certain flights on certain days) while others were sky-high.

I wonder at least if they will be at least somewhat reasonable in allowing more seats to be booked with awards in advance. I was looking at SAN-DCA flights for July (90+ days out) and AA basically had no availability at less than 25,000 one way (unless you wanted Alaska). By contrast, United had ample availability on the specific days that I wanted.
Old Apr 19, 19, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
These "web special" awards have been pricing this way for months. I first posted observations of this back on Jan 2...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30600724-post6.html
Interesting. I didn't notice this then... guess they have rolled it out to a lot more routes now.

Looking at your post there, I also see the same thing about Y booking class, but they do still seem capacity-controlled... not every AAnytime flight is available under Economy Web Specials.
Old Apr 20, 19, 6:28 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
Interesting. I didn't notice this then... guess they have rolled it out to a lot more routes now.

Looking at your post there, I also see the same thing about Y booking class, but they do still seem capacity-controlled... not every AAnytime flight is available under Economy Web Specials.
They must be collecting data and workin out the kinks before rolling dynamic pricing out more broadly...wonder how soon this is coming for all awards, especially given Unitedís announcement...
Old Apr 22, 19, 8:18 am

Programs: AA CK
So definite award pricing changes going on.

I've booked some RDU-YYC award flights for June. When I booked them, 30k/one-way was the 'anytime' fare, with no saver available.
Now, same flights, anytime is pricing at 50k/one-way, and over a 7-day period, the economy web special ranges from 29k-49.5k, with no 2 days having the same pricing.
Old Apr 25, 19, 6:46 pm

Searching for DFW- MIA or FLL availability on June 5.

There are nine different non-stop flights available for 12.5k miles.

There is one web special available for 9.5K miles that connects with a 5.5 hour layover. Or multiple web special connections available for between 39k to 45K miles.

I think they have a few kinks to work out.