Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Pilot says flight canceled b/c of maint issue, AA cust service says weather?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pilot says flight canceled b/c of maint issue, AA cust service says weather?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by ianj844
As I've had it explained to me by AA before the longest delay reason takes precedence regarding compensation. So for example if you have a 2 hour delay total. 1.5 hours cause of Weather and .5 hours cause of an MX issue the delay is deemed a weather delay as that was the cause for the majority of the delay. I don't think the 7 minute maintenance delay takes precedence for everything else. From past experience I don't think you'll get much from AA past a CS gesture and I really don't think there is a DOT claim in all of this.
If that's the policy they want, then they need to write that into their conditions of carriage. But they didn't—and they definitely can't use that internal policy to get out their contractual obligation. Seems like there's a DOT claim to me.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by SamOF
If that's the policy they want, then they need to write that into their conditions of carriage. But they didn't—and they definitely can't use that internal policy to get out their contractual obligation. Seems like there's a DOT claim to me.
It's already in there. It talks about carrier caused delays and delays beyond their control. The DOT already have rules for reporting delays and there are multiple codes for both carrier caused and non-carrier caused and many times there is more than one code attributed to delays. What you are really saying is that you don't agree with either the way things are coded or that you don't agree with assigning the ultimate reason to the majority delay code(s). Or both. And that's certainly your prerogative but until or unless the DOT change the reporting rules, that's how it works at just about all airlines.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bswiz
. I was told my checked bag would be on the first flight out of DFW on 4/14 but I didn't get it until 4/16. I emailed AA customer service to voice my frustration and ask that they reimburse the cost of the Lyft. I figured they'd at least offer a voucher for a few hundred $.
If you didn’t take the flight and took a taxi home, isn’t it a breach of security regulations for your bag to be flown by the airline the following day? I was under the belief that if a pax doesn’t travel, then neither does their bag.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Whenever I get hit with a delay I immediately check the flight status notes on EF and take a screenshot of the reason, especially when it says crew or maintenance related. So far I've never needed to pull it out to contradict AA CS but it's a good idea to have that evidence in your pocket. Maintenance delays can turn into weather delays if a storm moves in while they are screwing around fixing the plane.

Like the OP I was hit with a DFW-AUS cancellation that weekend. "Weather-related" even though it was cancelled 28 hours in advance. Fortunately I was still in DTW when the notice came. Plenty of time to arrange a non-AA flight on my own.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryan182
thats nonsense, the flight was ready to push, had there not been a maintenance issue it would have taken off - ergo the cancelation was due to maintenance. Period.
To play devil’s advocate, if there had not been weather issues earlier, the maintance issue would have been fixed in time and it would have taken off - ergo the cancellation was due to weather.
I’m one of the last to defend AA, but I suppose there’s some logic in this 50% rule or whatever.

That said, I’d like to see them take responsibility when there’s a 2 hour maintenance delay, then bad weather moves in for an hour and then the crew times out.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Quite frankly it doesn't matter what the pilot said, if AA says it is weather then it will be a difficult fight to prove otherwise. I am not saying that is right, just saying that is the reality.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon

To play devil’s advocate, if there had not been weather issues earlier, the maintance issue would have been fixed in time and it would have taken off - ergo the cancellation was due to weather.
I’m one of the last to defend AA, but I suppose there’s some logic in this 50% rule or whatever.

That said, I’d like to see them take responsibility when there’s a 2 hour maintenance delay, then bad weather moves in for an hour and then the crew times out.
There's lots of contributing factors in every event in life. Had there not been weather maybe could have fixed the plane before timing out, maybe not I don't know, but if you accept that logic then there's never a MX cancelation because you can always find some butterfly that flapped a wing somewhere that tandgeltally influenced the result and that you can pin the cancelation on. I am sympathetic to the airlines when people complain that there was a cancellation when due to weather and they complain that "its fine here" because there are downstream effects from weather than can lead to airplanes or crew being out of position etc but from the OP that wasn't the case here. But for not the MX issue that plane would have taken off and it didn't, and it didn't take off in that exact moment for one and only one reason:MX.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
There's lots of contributing factors in every event in life. Had there not been weather maybe could have fixed the plane before timing out, maybe not I don't know, but if you accept that logic then there's never a MX cancelation because you can always find some butterfly that flapped a wing somewhere that tandgeltally influenced the result and that you can pin the cancelation on. I am sympathetic to the airlines when people complain that there was a cancellation when due to weather and they complain that "its fine here" because there are downstream effects from weather than can lead to airplanes or crew being out of position etc but from the OP that wasn't the case here. But for not the MX issue that plane would have taken off and it didn't, and it didn't take off in that exact moment for one and only one reason:MX.
Except, again, that's not how it works.

You might want to read this and this to help you understand how it works. You may not like that it works the way it does, but that's the system that is currently used.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Shuttle_Endeavour

If you didn’t take the flight and took a taxi home, isn’t it a breach of security regulations for your bag to be flown by the airline the following day? I was under the belief that if a pax doesn’t travel, then neither does their bag.
Positive bag matching on domestic flights went away when it went to 100% bag screening by TSA.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:04 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Let's think of a reverse scenario here. I wonder what the airline would do if there was say.... a 3 hour MX, followed by a 20min wx. Does anyone think they would mark it as mx, and provide compensation/accommodations accordingly?
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA PPR
Originally Posted by genotonda
Let's think of a reverse scenario here. I wonder what the airline would do if there was say.... a 3 hour MX, followed by a 20min wx. Does anyone think they would mark it as mx, and provide compensation/accommodations accordingly?
From past experience yes they have.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:55 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by justhere

You might want to read this and this to help you understand how it works. You may not like that it works the way it does, but that's the system that is currently used.
I don’t think the issue is how it works; it’s whether it should work the way it does (or whether it makes sense).

What made my recent experience frustrating was not only that it was a mechanical delay that ultimately made me miss a connection but also that I got to the gate for the connecting flight 5 minutes before scheduled departure, the plane was still sitting there, but the GA had already closed the flight. Yes, the rules say 15 minutes (or 20, whatever), but you would think a GA could wait a few extra minutes to close the last flight of the day with multiple connecting pax from the same delayed flight—but no, apparently common sense does not rule the day at AA anymore.

I am not arguing that rules are not important, but I also think there should be a modicum of common sense used as well.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 1:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by justhere

I read both of those links, perhaps I missed something and you can point to the specific sections you think are relevant to the case at hand where, again: The plane was going to take off, the crew had not timed out, there was no weather event preventing a takeoff but there was a MX issue that did and because of said issue the flight was canceled. Because, and again perhaps I missed that section, I didn't see anything on either of those links (the first being really just stats) that made a counter point.. In fact its quite the opposite:
How are these categories defined?
  • Air Carrier: The cause of the cancellation or delay was due to circumstances within the airline's control (e.g. maintenance or crew problems, aircraft cleaning, baggage loading, fueling, etc.).
The flight in question would have left the gate and operated, perhaps delayed, in this case had it not been for.....wait for it........a maintenance issue. Any number of things might have happened before that but despite those things had there not been a maintenance issue that plane would have left. Its absurd to try and ascribe this cancelation to WX, because again they would have left the gate and flown the aircraft with the crew on board absent the MX issue. This also is probably not just an AA thing and I'm not trying to be a basher, I'd wager that lots of airlines do this nonsense with the hope/bet that few will call them on their BS!
Old Apr 21, 2019, 3:16 am

I read both of those links, perhaps I missed something and you can point to the specific sections you think are relevant to the case at hand where, again: The plane was going to take off, the crew had not timed out, there was no weather event preventing a takeoff but there was a MX issue that did and because of said issue the flight was canceled. Because, and again perhaps I missed that section, I didn't see anything on either of those links (the first being really just stats) that made a counter point.. In fact its quite the opposite:

The flight in question would have left the gate and operated, perhaps delayed, in this case had it not been for.....wait for it........a maintenance issue. Any number of things might have happened before that but despite those things had there not been a maintenance issue that plane would have left. Its absurd to try and ascribe this cancelation to WX, because again they would have left the gate and flown the aircraft with the crew on board absent the MX issue. This also is probably not just an AA thing and I'm not trying to be a basher, I'd wager that lots of airlines do this nonsense with the hope/bet that few will call them on their BS!
Both links provide the information you might have missed. Additionally, follow the additional links in the first website to the final DOT ruling where they state "There often are multiple reasons for delayed flights, and we are requiring air carriers to report each category of flight delay, as applicable." If you read enough of it you'll see this applies to cancellations as well as delays.

So, there was a reason, or multiple reasons why the crew only had 7 minutes before they timed out. They wouldn't have been scheduled that way ahead of time. If weather delayed the crew that contributed or caused them to only have 7 minutes, when all the coding for the flight is done, 7 minutes would likely get coded to MX in addition to however many minutes coded to late crew. Late crew is considered air carrier caused but it also depends why the crew was late. If the delayed crew was held up by weather for an hour then 60 minutes would likely get coded to WX. Without the weather delay the crew wouldn't have timed out and the MX delay wouldn't have been an issue. But the MX delay was an issue because the crew was delayed. So you account for all delay minutes as noted in those links. 60 minutes WX and 7 MX. Majority of the delay therefore is weather.

You don't just look at the last delay, again as noted in the links. Does AA and other airlines take some liberties with coding? Who knows. It's a very risky game if they do. However given that there are so many delay codes, some situations are going to fit more than one so its always possible someone could pick a reason that is subjective. And then I'm fairly sure AA and other airlines have some sort of internal guideline that has to be met for them to classify the delay or cancellation as non- controllable. A guideline that their legal department feels they can defend should the need arise.

So while you're taking a simplistic view of the cancellation and just considering the last few minutes, the reporting to the DOT doesn't work that way. Your way ignores other factors that might have contributed to the cancellation.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
AA is adopting the common practice of insurance companies - deny, deny, deny until you give up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.