Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: pre-2019 PIT / Pittsburgh International Airport Admirals Club

Old Nov 2, 14, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum

Does anyone have a picture of these Calders? If they are originals & not lithographs, they have some significant cash value & of course should be sold. AA has an Admirals Club art program, but it is mainly for lithos by less-than-A-list artists.

The current thread is here.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 17, 19 at 11:47 pm Reason: Insert moderator note
Old Nov 3, 14, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by fastflyer View Post
Does anyone have a picture of these Calders? If they are originals & not lithographs, they have some significant cash value & of course should be sold. AA has an Admirals Club art program, but it is mainly for lithos by less-than-A-list artists.
I have no first hand (or third hand) knowledge, but it is hard to believe that they're originals.
Old Nov 3, 14, 6:43 pm

They were indeed authentic Alexander Calders. I'm reasonably qualified to confirm this. They have been in the club for at least 20 years. They were all from a 1973-76 edition of gouaches.

Last edited by JetPiedmont79; Nov 4, 14 at 1:16 pm
Old Nov 3, 14, 6:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JetPiedmont79 View Post
They were indeed authentic Alexander Calders. I'm reasonably qualified to confirm this. They have been in the club for at least 20 years. They were all from a 1973-76 edition of gauches.
Wow, how special and now how sad that they're gone.....perhaps to some executive's office?
Old Nov 3, 14, 8:06 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: GLD; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by JetPiedmont79 View Post
They were indeed authentic Alexander Calders. I'm reasonably qualified to confirm this. They have been in the club for at least 20 years. They were all from a 1973-76 edition of gauches.
Does authentic = original? How much are they worth if indeed originals?
Old Nov 3, 14, 8:32 pm

Yes they were originals. I would venture to guess the three together would be worth about 35-40,000.00
Old Nov 4, 14, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
I think 10,000 each may be too low.

Take a look at lots 667 and 751 and 799-802 from Christie's (linked below). The realized prices blew through the estimates. I don't know these Pittsburgh pieces, but if they are worth between 50,000 and 100,000 each, I am not surprised that they were removed.

Postwar and Contemporary Art sale, November 2011

Quite likely hanging in an executive office (although aren't almost all of the executives the same as pre-merger?) or being consigned for sale.

Most of the art in the pmAA Admirals Club are signed lithographs with a few original pieces from non-A-list artists. At least I have never recognized any of the names at, say, the DFW-C club.

What do the agents at PIT say about the disposition of the Calders?
Old Nov 4, 14, 9:51 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Sad to see some of the last vestiges of the quality and personality of US that we remember from years ago disappear. The philosophy now seems to be doing just enough to get by. You won't find anything like this in the Phoenix clubs...
Old Nov 4, 14, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by fastflyer View Post
I think 10,000 each may be too low.

Take a look at lots 667 and 751 and 799-802 from Christie's (linked below). The realized prices blew through the estimates. I don't know these Pittsburgh pieces, but if they are worth between 50,000 and 100,000 each, I am not surprised that they were removed.

Postwar and Contemporary Art sale, November 2011

Quite likely hanging in an executive office (although aren't almost all of the executives the same as pre-merger?) or being consigned for sale.

Most of the art in the pmAA Admirals Club are signed lithographs with a few original pieces from non-A-list artists. At least I have never recognized any of the names at, say, the DFW-C club.

What do the agents at PIT say about the disposition of the Calders?
Every time I went into that club I would remark to the agents that those Calders were worth a fortune and I expressed surprise that such works of art would be hanging in an airport club. Now I guess somebody caught up to that and has "fixed" this.
Old Nov 4, 14, 1:18 pm

Yeah, you may be right on the estimates of the Calders. I just took a low-ball approach to the values. I'm just hoping that they are going to a museum or will be sold and not sitting in some storage room.
Old Nov 4, 14, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Someone familiar with them should inquire on Facebook/Twitter where they can now be seen.
Old Nov 10, 14, 10:01 am

Programs: AAdvantage (Exec. Plat.)
An absolute travesty the Calders are gone, indeed, with no reasonable explanation why. As they were a part of the unique history of the PIT club, and are of considerable value, I think a response from the new AA is not only appropriate but a very considerate action.
Old Nov 10, 14, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by kszary View Post
An absolute travesty the Calders are gone, indeed, with no reasonable explanation why. As they were a part of the unique history of the PIT club, and are of considerable value, I think a response from the new AA is not only appropriate but a very considerate action.
Certainly a shame, but I'm not sure they owe an explanation.

Last edited by Blumie; Nov 10, 14 at 10:22 am
Old Nov 18, 14, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP/CK 2M+
They were recently scene in Doug Parker's house.
Old Nov 18, 14, 3:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium / LTG, HHonors Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by phil_flyer View Post
They were recently scene in Doug Parker's house.
Why would he have waited ten years to take them?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: