Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Book travel upgrades for 4 as plat pro or wait until EXP?

Book travel upgrades for 4 as plat pro or wait until EXP?

Old Apr 20, 19, 5:37 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, SPG LT Plat
Originally Posted by cova View Post
No chance. Award upgrades for EXP for 2 (or even 1) are at the bottom of the EXP upgrade list. You would have to split the reservation but then might split all 4. Unless you are traveling late on a Saturday night - no way. As an EXP for several years, upgrades for EXP are almost non-existent, unless your are traveling at real off peak times. And I have seem as many of 20 EXPs on a flight (told that) on a peak flight - and non-upgraded.

AA reduced the price of F and sells the seats. Sometimes F came be a small difference more.

This has been where I've gotten the most "bang for my bucks". Book corporate flight and opt to upgrade on my own dime when I'm traveling on the premium routes or finding myself transferring at DFW especially.
Old Apr 20, 19, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
But to answer the question, if there is award availability now, then by all means book it now. Once you hit EXP, call AA and have them refresh your status on the reservation. No reason at all to wait till you hit EXP to book it.
Well yeah, if he wants to use miles+copay assuming it’s available now, then he should book it now and confirm the upgrades. Status would be irrelevant.

If he waits until he’s EXP, then he’ll have 4 earned systemwide upgrade certificates he could use one-way to confirm, though obviously the value of doing that is debatable.

For the free elite upgrades + 1 companion, that’s wholly irrelevant until at most 100 hours before departure; there is no “availability” for those until that time.

ETA - oops, missed the booking “with miles” part of the OP, so most of this probably isn’t entirely relevant.

Last edited by ijgordon; Apr 20, 19 at 9:16 pm
Old Apr 20, 19, 5:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by genotonda View Post
I don't see that here. Appears that EQD would come before booking class. So unless he was the lowest EQD, he would not be at the bottom of the EXP upgrade list.
OP wants to upgrade an award ticket, which means they will be in the lowest of three EXP buckets (the first being SWU/miles upgrades, the second being comp upgrades on paid tickets).

It is definitely possible to split a 4-person PNR into 2 and 2 for the purposes of upgrading a companion, I have done so before.

OP, if you really want your whole family in F you should buy F tickets with either cash or miles. If you are willing to take on some risk of half the family flying coach you could book 2 F awards on one reservation and pay cash for 2 Y tickets on another.
Old Apr 20, 19, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold, UA LT 1K, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by genotonda View Post
I don't see that here. Appears that EQD would come before booking class. So unless he was the lowest EQD, he would not be at the bottom of the EXP upgrade list. And if you want to wait until the gate, you don't have to split the PNR. You can request it then. Though you do of course miss the T-100 window, and so there may be no more upgrades available.

Upgrade Priority Change to Status, Upgrade Type, Rolling 12 Month EQD as of 20 May 2017

As of May 20, 2017 upgrade prioritization is:
  1. Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
    2. Executive Platinum
    3. Platinum Pro
    4. Platinum
    5. Gold
  2. Upgrade type
    1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
    2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets (including EXP complimentary UDU)
    3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards (including EXP complimentary UDU)
  3. Elite qualifying dollars* in the past 12 months
  4. Booking class (in order, J, D, I, W, P, Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O, T)
  5. Time of request
Maybe I am misunderstanding. But the OP says he is travelling on miles (ie getting coach reward tickets) and hopes to upgrade.
For item #2 Upgrade Type, he would be in 3rd grouping for award travel trying to upgrade as EXP. That is above EQD
Old Apr 20, 19, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cova View Post
Maybe I am misunderstanding. But the OP says he is travelling on miles (ie getting coach reward tickets) and hopes to upgrade.
For item #2 Upgrade Type, he would be in 3rd grouping for award travel trying to upgrade as EXP. That is above EQD
Right, the EQD will only come into play if there are any other EXPs on award tickets who requested the upgrade. Any and all EXPs on paid tickets will be upgraded first. But he will be ahead of any and all PPros.
Old May 15, 19, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Apologies for the absence all, Iíve been out of country for a while and not gotten back to booking.

Thank you all so much for the great detailed response. Yes, I meant QR for Qatar airways . They obviously donít do domestic upgrades, but they do make it easy to earn status and upgrades on all their international flights

Iím just going to book F tix for the whole group. It eats up a lot more miles, but weíll all be assured to have first class seats.

Now the fun begins, trying to find a lie-flat product and hoping the equipment doesnít change out . Nothing would suck more than paying for first class anytime seats to get a lie flat product and then get stuck with a normal recliner
Old May 16, 19, 12:41 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by trpltongue View Post
Apologies for the absence all, Iíve been out of country for a while and not gotten back to booking.

Thank you all so much for the great detailed response. Yes, I meant QR for Qatar airways . They obviously donít do domestic upgrades, but they do make it easy to earn status and upgrades on all their international flights

Iím just going to book F tix for the whole group. It eats up a lot more miles, but weíll all be assured to have first class seats.

Now the fun begins, trying to find a lie-flat product and hoping the equipment doesnít change out . Nothing would suck more than paying for first class anytime seats to get a lie flat product and then get stuck with a normal recliner
Your only potential lie flat option would be if you can find the very limited widebody service from DFW to LAX. Why though would you worry about lie flats on a route that involves less than 3 hours in the air?
ijgordon likes this.
Old May 17, 19, 10:54 am

Programs: an inch longer than you. Seriously, this is BS just for bragging.
Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles View Post

Your only potential lie flat option would be if you can find the very limited widebody service from DFW to LAX. Why though would you worry about lie flats on a route that involves less than 3 hours in the air?
pretty much only 1x a day
https://www.aacargo.com/downloads/sc...S_Domestic.pdf
can't imagine redeeming 4x aanytime first for this, but to each his own