Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Concierge Key event in Dallas 11 Apr 2019...did anyone go?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Concierge Key event in Dallas 11 Apr 2019...did anyone go?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Smile

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
The next thing I see coming is limiting recline and giving AA the ability to put in even more seats.
Originally Posted by JonNYC
No
I think he means at the next CK event.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
Well, I have reservations about AA targeting the only most elite of all their travelers for their opinions. For sure I'd like to be considered for CK status.It's not a burning desire of mine, though. However, there is a quid pro quo. CKs, while high revs, are less likely to leave AA once they've reached the pinnacle. AA should be listening more to their mid-level elites, Plat/Plat Pro, as they seem to be more easily dissatisfied and more likely to take their $$ elsewhere. Lesser elites tend to be more disenfranchised.
I think looking at the comparative revenue the mid-level elites do not hold a candle to what the CKs either spend themselves or cause to be spent by others. The economics of Y vs. J/F are honestly pretty laughable.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:20 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Well, I have reservations about AA targeting the only most elite of all their travelers for their opinions. For sure I'd like to be considered for CK status.It's not a burning desire of mine, though. However, there is a quid pro quo. CKs, while high revs, are less likely to leave AA once they've reached the pinnacle. AA should be listening more to their mid-level elites, Plat/Plat Pro, as they seem to be more easily dissatisfied and more likely to take their $$ elsewhere. Lesser elites tend to be more disenfranchised.
Spend alone isn’t what many Keys bring to the table. They’re often arrangers if travel, influencers and higher level representatives of Fortune 500 companies, so it’s about the revenue from their company, etc. AA was early to the table with this - Admirals clubs opened at Idlewild and DCA to host and wow influencers like legislators and high mucks as a way to reach them and advocate for aviation and AA. They were “Admirals of the Flagship fleet”.

Originally Posted by nk15
Do we have any info regarding the other elite level appreciation events? Any dates or locations?
Those are sent to Keys and posted in private social media groups. They’re not likely to be enthusiastic about hoi polloi like us storming the gates.
GunsOfNavarone and Geordie405 like this.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 18, 2019 at 11:28 am
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I get confused on this entire Oasis argument and CKs in general. It seems to me Parker has done right by CKs. He's made it an official status level above EXP with greater benefits like first to board after pre-boards and a bigger upgrade window. Really, what is the percentage of time that a CK finds him/herself in a non MCE Y seat? How many do not AC memberships or access to other lounges? That's assuming they actually have the time to enjoy a lounge pre flight.

Yes Parker has cheapen the domestic F experience but is this some huge game changer? Other than the transcons the food has always sucked. The huge F seats were going out with the remaining MD80s. PDBs were an LAA issue pre merger. Other than forcing the unwashed masses to board and deplane by the rear door what else is it that CKs are surely lacking?

Now if your talking about guy/gal that travels 2-3 a month, is forced by policy to take the "most direct routing as the lowest cost", can only upgrade using stickers (or out of pocket) and hopes that MCE is available upon booking maybe one has a point.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by JDiver
Spend alone isn’t what many Keys bring to the table. They’re often arrangers if travel, influencers and higher level representatives of Fortune 500 companies, so it’s about the revenue from their company, etc. AA was early to the table with this - Admirals clubs opened at Idlewild and DCA to host and wow influencers like legislators and high mucks as a way to reach them and advocate for aviation and AA. They were “Admirals of the Flagship fleet”.

Those are sent to Keys and posted in private social media groups. They’re not likely to be enthusiastic about hoi polloi like us storming the gates.
And there's the issue. How is someone responsible for making decisions on travel vendors supposed to evaluate their product/service if they are getting the ultra premium treatment while those that will be actually be using the service get the service we all know from AA (and other airlines)?
Smrtmom1 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
I think looking at the comparative revenue the mid-level elites do not hold a candle to what the CKs either spend themselves or cause to be spent by others. The economics of Y vs. J/F are honestly pretty laughable.
on a per passenger basis, yes. If the economy goes South and the planes aren’t full in back, I don’t know that there are enough F passengers to make up the revenue shortfall.

i don’t deny that CKs should be much more important. But plenty of hub-hub Y flying ExPlats feel disenfranchised . Nothing like zero upgrades and being in the ticket counter line with all the cobranded credit card holders to send me a message.

Free food on the plane, I don’t care. Having a densified seats will be the last straw. I fly mostly lax-Mia and the change in return departure time for the 777s is likely going to have me go out on AA and return in B6. I’m lifetime plat, so what am I really losing that matters?
Spanish and Smrtmom1 like this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bchandler02
And there's the issue. How is someone responsible for making decisions on travel vendors supposed to evaluate their product/service if they are getting the ultra premium treatment while those that will be actually be using the service get the service we all know from AA (and other airlines)?
Well, rightly or wrongly, that is sort of how business gets done and not just in the airline industry. That's exactly why companies spend money courting folks that have influence over the spending of funds.

Regards
enpremiere and Smrtmom1 like this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I get confused on this entire Oasis argument and CKs in general. It seems to me Parker has done right by CKs. He's made it an official status level above EXP with greater benefits like first to board after pre-boards and a bigger upgrade window. Really, what is the percentage of time that a CK finds him/herself in a non MCE Y seat? How many do not AC memberships or access to other lounges? That's assuming they actually have the time to enjoy a lounge pre flight.

Yes Parker has cheapen the domestic F experience but is this some huge game changer? Other than the transcons the food has always sucked. The huge F seats were going out with the remaining MD80s. PDBs were an LAA issue pre merger. Other than forcing the unwashed masses to board and deplane by the rear door what else is it that CKs are surely lacking?

Now if your talking about guy/gal that travels 2-3 a month, is forced by policy to take the "most direct routing as the lowest cost", can only upgrade using stickers (or out of pocket) and hopes that MCE is available upon booking maybe one has a point.
AC membership is free with Concierge Key status. In the event of IRROPS or OSO, CKs could spend some time in Y seats, particularity if they are connecting somewhere given AA's on time performance. The comfort of domestic J seats on Oasis/737-MAX is a big issue.
JDiver and Spanish like this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by beachfan
<snip> But plenty of hub-hub Y flying ExPlats feel disenfranchised . Nothing like zero upgrades and being in the ticket counter line with all the cobranded credit card holders to send me a message.

Then why don't those "disenfranchised" EXPs move their business? And if your response is "well, they can't, their captives in a hub" then you sort of have your answer on why airlines don't feel they need to court that particular segment.

Regards
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by scubadu
Then why don't those "disenfranchised" EXPs move their business? And if your response is "well, they can't, their captives in a hub" then you sort of have your answer on why airlines don't feel they need to court that particular segment.

Regards
Because some/many are likely under a corporate situation where they are forced to AA.
Smrtmom1 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by scubadu

Regards
who says they aren’t?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:26 pm

Btw. I was always curious. Somebody has any ideas about the revenue proportions? Obviously the top levels elite are the ones that spend much more individually. But, also obviously, they are very few in comparison. So the question is which elite level, when you consider the total and not individually, represents the most revenue for the airline. The very top elite, CKs? EX-Plat? Plat?

May be the most interesting question is if elites as a whole, represent more revenue than the total of regular, non elite, customers. I realize that the exact figures are likely undisclosed. But I assume estimations might be similar across the industry and more or less well known. Anyone?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Originally Posted by beachfan

on a per passenger basis, yes. If the economy goes South and the planes aren’t full in back, I don’t know that there are enough F passengers to make up the revenue shortfall.

i don’t deny that CKs should be much more important. But plenty of hub-hub Y flying ExPlats feel disenfranchised . Nothing like zero upgrades and being in the ticket counter line with all the cobranded credit card holders to send me a message.

Free food on the plane, I don’t care. Having a densified seats will be the last straw. I fly mostly lax-Mia and the change in return departure time for the 777s is likely going to have me go out on AA and return in B6. I’m lifetime plat, so what am I really losing that matters?
The CKs are a much much smaller group also, some estimate the number of EXPs in the system is well north of 100,000.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Lots of EXPs are hub captive. If you're on the road during the week and like most have employers that expect 60 hours plus a week (particularly as a consultant) there's little desire for one to connect and so one can enjoy the DL SC at ATL, MSP, JFK, SLC, etc. It would be interesting to see EXPs by home airport but that information is under lock and key.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:41 pm
Suspended

I think he means at the next CK event.
No he didn't

Probably not on the 321 because of additional FA. And maybe not today on other a/c. But if fuel costs continue to rise or there's a slowdown in the economy AA (and other airlines) are going to be hunting for additional sources of revenue to offset. Unfortunately the Wall Street vampires will demand it.
Your statement was wrong and uninformed, no comment on your new, moving-target, version.

Originally Posted by rowingman
...OK, I have to go back to work, and this is completely off topic, but I am hearing that the 321T that was damaged last week as AA 300 JFK/LAX is a write off. Rumor from an informed source. But there you have it. If so, sad to hear one of these birds is lost.
Not a write-off, being repaired, Airbus on site helping.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.