Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Does a minor schedule change allow flight change?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Does a 20 minute flight time change entitle me to switch flight, I booked a later flight than I wanted as it was less expensive. Would prefer to move to an earlier flight if possible, Travelling in First from LAX to Maui on an I class fare.

Last edited by Newly Wed; Apr 14, 2019 at 12:54 pm Reason: Typos
Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA PPR
No. If I recall correctly the change must be 61 minutes or greater or break MCT in order to be eligible for you to change flights without paying a fee.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
IIRC, it had to be at least an hour (maybe 2). Or unless the change results in an illegal connection.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
You can definitely try, worst you can get is "no". I've successfully been able to change my flights to better times when I've had 10-30 minute schedule changes.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Newly Wed
Does a 20 minute flight time change entitle me to switch flight, I booked a later flight than I wanted as it was less expensive. Would prefer to move to an earlier flight if possible, Travelling in First from LAX to Maui on an I class fare.
In a word, “no”.

Breaking MCT or 90 minutes would.

Of course if you call, at least it’s not you telling yourself no, and you could get lucky. Probably not, given the fare differences.
Often1 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 3:18 pm

I had a landing time changed by six minutes recently and was able to change it no problems... but I suspect that six minutes was enough to break MCT.

Didn't get any significant discussion on it, the CS rep just got right to helping me find alternatives.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 3:20 pm

Maybe, phones are jammed right now, you may wait a few days for things to calm down.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 4:03 pm

My experience is yes, you can make a change even for a 20 minute involuntary schedule change with the significant caveat of the original booking inventory must be available, which would be I class in your case.

It takes a change of at least an hour (or MCT violation) before that constraint is lifted allowing rebooking into the lowest available booking inventory. (i.e. rebooked in D or J if originally booked in I)
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by AndyAA
My experience is yes, you can make a change even for a 20 minute involuntary schedule change with the significant caveat of the original booking inventory must be available, which would be I class in your case.

It takes a change of at least an hour (or MCT violation) before that constraint is lifted allowing rebooking into the lowest available booking inventory. (i.e. rebooked in D or J if originally booked in I)
The OP booked the original flight at a lower booking rate hoping to change to the preferred flight, which was not booked because the booking gate code and price were higher. With a 20 minute change and a higher price, I’m guessing they’d prefer charging the fare difference - and possibly some would try to impose a change fee.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Now if you had an equipment swap, even without any time changes you have some ground to stand on.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
The OP booked the original flight at a lower booking rate hoping to change to the preferred flight, which was not booked because the booking gate code and price were higher. With a 20 minute change and a higher price, I’m guessing they’d prefer charging the fare difference - and possibly some would try to impose a change fee.
Sure, the I class fare wasn’t available for the OP’s preferred times at time of booking, but that’s does not preclude it from being available today. Inventory can change all of the time.

If that inventory is available today, AA can change the flight due to the schedule change. If that exact same inventory is not available today, AA would be due the fare difference to whatever booking class is available and a change fee.

I’ve kicked myself several times for snatching up an I fare on a particular routing only to see a more desirable one to become available later on which wasn’t present at the time of booking.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
You have nothing to lose by trying. You didn't say if your flight change made it earlier or later. Make up a story. If the flight is now 20 minutes later, tell them that you absolutely had to be there by x time and that now you'll be 10 minutes late, so can you take the earlier flight. If it's earlier, tell them that you had a meeting or something that would have let you make the later flight but now you're going to have to cancel it entirely, so you might as well take the earlier. It doesn't matter if they think you're lying.

I recently had a time change that was totally inconsequential, but between the time I booked and now they added a better connection. Basically on two separate trips I was flying PHL-LAX-LAS and I was arriving LAX around 7 and leaving at 9:30, but they added an 8:10 flight. They let me change it. The agent told me it was because I was on an I fare (as you are) but it may have just been a gentle pitch to remind me to spend more money rather than less.

One thing I am quite sure of is that they're not going to go back to the day you booked, see the fare difference, and say "You already booked the later flight to save money, so we're not going to let you get away with this."

Give it a try. What's the worst that can happen? They say no.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all these insightful comments. I will give AA a call and see what they say. Its a trip from LAX to Hawaii so not a big deal either way but as we are arriving from London the night before and have 8 hours of time difference to cope with taking the earliest flight plays to the fact that we will no doubt be raring to go at 4am.

I actually originally booked an economy O fare class but decided I couldn't face 6 hours in the back and upgraded to the I class fare more recently. I doesn't look like there is much of a fare difference between the earlier and later flight in F and I class is available so maybe we will be ok.

I will report back....
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Data point: my call with AA (the UK contact centre) was answered within 2 minutes, the CS rep confirmed that a change was possible and processed it straightaway. The entire process from start to finish took less than 5 minutes and the CS rep even took care to transfer across our seat reservations so that we have the same seats as originally booked (party of 4 with young kids).

The new flight is showing on the AA website already. It was a one way flight and curiously the original flight is now showing as a return sector. I will keep an eye on that and call AA again later if it doesn't resolve itself.

Totally painless and excellent customer service.
RG1X and enpremiere like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.