Wiki Posts
Search

Checked bag risk (5 hr CLT connection)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Checked bag risk (5 hr CLT connection)

I'm flying BOS-PHL-CLT-DEN tomorrow, with a 5hr 'layover' in PHL (the connection in CLT is a bit over an hour).

I may choose to carry some liquids in my bag (um, beer) and wondered whether there is any risk in having a bag in PHL too long. I'm just concerned that too much time might result in a misplaced bag. I know it doesn't break any rules in terms of a stopover.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I don't think you should have any issue.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
I don't see any increased risk of the bag being lost or delayed. What could happen is that it goes on a flight ahead of you, if such flights exist and there's time for your bags to make the connection. In that case, they may be in the baggage office at DEN when you arrive, rather than on the carousel for your flight.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Score8
I may choose to carry some liquids in my bag (um, beer) and wondered whether there is any risk in having a bag in PHL too long.
Probably a pretty big risk of it getting consumed.

Though if it's good NE stuff, Tree House, Alchemist, Trillium, etc., they probably won't touch it - too high class for PHL.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Score8
I'm flying BOS-PHL-CLT-DEN tomorrow, with a 5hr 'layover' in PHL (the connection in CLT is a bit over an hour).
Good god, why?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:57 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Good god, why?
Probably a SAAver award which one can only get if the do a crazy routing like that.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA PLT, United Silver
I had (glass) liquids in a bag that I checked at SIN that went to 7 different flights across 4 oneworld airlines and I didn't see it for 5 days but it arrived without any spills
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackvogt
Probably a SAAver award which one can only get if the do a crazy routing like that.
I had a meeting in PHL, where I didn't want to have to wait for my bag before leaving later that day for PHL-CLT-DEN, since there wasn't a direct from PHL to DEN.
jerry305 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no particular risk at 5 hours which is greater than at 2 hours. The bag goes to a secure holding area because it remains on the sterile side and sits there until it is shipped off to the next aircraft.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Daniel Solis
I had (glass) liquids in a bag that I checked at SIN that went to 7 different flights across 4 oneworld airlines and I didn't see it for 5 days but it arrived without any spills
As I suspected, the beer made it ok. All is right with the world!

I am glad that i didn't check a bag for DEN-CLT-BOS today though. My CLT-BOS cxld after the door closed in DEN (or I may have taken a more creative routing home.) My only option for potentially leaving CLT today was to route to PVD instead of BOS. That flight is also delayed, of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.