Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Oct to Europe: of DFW-PHL-CLT-ORD fewest cancellations & delays?

Old Apr 15, 19, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Looking to book a flight with American Airlines for October for a trip to Europe wondering which airport is best for me to connect in. Does anyone have an idea which of these airports has the least cancellations and Delays?

PHL
CLT
ORD

I read somewhere CLT is high with delays, cancellations and they often have bad weather not sure if Thats true . I know October is hurricane season as well
Old Apr 15, 19, 7:18 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz Gold Plus
In October, you're rolling the dice with any of them, to be honest.

I'd personally choose ORD since you'll be on a 788 or 789 (new birds) instead of a 763 or 332 (old birds).
Old Apr 15, 19, 7:19 am
Original Poster

I forgot to add DFW airport as well.
Old Apr 15, 19, 7:25 am

Programs: AA
Where's your origination? Instead of worrying about delays, think about connection times. Which options give you better connections? As said above, type of equipment involved? Economy vs. Business?

Originally Posted by dantheflyingman View Post
I'd personally choose ORD since you'll be on a 788 or 789 (new birds) instead of a 763 or 332 (old birds).
If they are in economy and a couple, the side pairs on the 763 or 332 can be a lot more comfortable than the 788 or 789.

Last edited by JY1024; Apr 15, 19 at 8:57 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Apr 15, 19, 7:26 am

Where are you coming from?

Where in Europe are you flying to?

I would advise you to put more weight on the frequency of inbound flights from your origin and outbound flights, including partners, to your European destination (or hubs connecting to that destination) than on an aggregate measure of delays. What is good for the population is not necessarily good for the single data point. Better to have more choices and chances to get it right.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 19, 7:28 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Srodriguez View Post
Looking to book a flight with American Airlines for October for a trip to Europe wondering which airport is best for me to connect in. Does anyone have an idea which of these airports has the least cancellations and Delays?

PHL
CLT
ORD

I read somewhere CLT is high with delays, cancellations and they often have bad weather not sure if Thats true . I know October is hurricane season as well
I forgot to add DFW airport as well.
Where are you starting from and where are you going in Europe? Honestly I would just pick whatever routing and schedule is the most convenient. Every hub has it's pro's and con's. Barring some freak of nature storm you're not likely to have any hurricane related issues at any of those options in October.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 19, 7:33 am
Moderator, Delta & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
Where's your origination? Instead of worrying about delays, think about connection times. Which options give you better connections?
I will echo that sentiment. But, focusing solely on on-time performance of domestic flights, the U.S. DOT gives this rank among the 30 largest U.S. airports:

Chicago ORD: 25th on arrival performance

CLT: 9th

PHL: 24th

Honolulu is #1 .
GTITAN and JDiver like this.
Old Apr 15, 19, 7:40 am

Programs: AA EXP Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
Where are you starting from and where are you going in Europe? Honestly I would just pick whatever routing and schedule is the most convenient. Every hub has it's pro's and con's. Barring some freak of nature storm you're not likely to have any hurricane related issues at any of those options in October.
Are they old? Do they have any physical/health issues? Are they infrequent flyers? Is this a big once in a lifetime trip? If any of these are true the low stress path is to have them fly in the night before. Stay at a hotel next to the airport and have a nice dinner. Fly out the next day.
Old Apr 15, 19, 7:44 am
Original Poster

It originates in Orlando final destination is Rome . Seats would be economy there are flight as early as 6 am . And more flight from mco to clt I donít mind going super early and waiting if it gives me a buffer for delays or cancellations
Old Apr 15, 19, 7:52 am

It originates in Orlando final destination is Rome . Seats would be economy there are flight as early as 6 am . And more flight from mco to clt I don’t mind going super early and waiting if it gives me a buffer for delays or cancellations
From Orlando to Rome in October, in economy, I can't think of any reason not to take the quickest/easiest routing which will most likely be through CLT. There are frequent MCO-CLT flights; no reason to fly out super early at 6am or anything like that, just pick a connection with 2-3 hrs. in CLT and you will have plenty of time.
Old Apr 15, 19, 8:46 am

I agree that routing through CLT makes the most sense here if flying AA. Shortest routing, lots of volume from MCO, and the FCO flight will presumably be on an A330, which is about the best you can do when it comes to economy.

That being said, the question I would ask is, given that OP doesn't seem to be a frequent flyer and isn't using miles, is there a particular reason to be dead-set on using AA, e.g. having a voucher? If not, OP might also be well served to explore European carriers serving MCO, including LH and KLM. Personally, I always like to make the hop to Europe as quickly as possible, and then make the connection over there - lesser chance of IRROPS on TATL flights than domestic, and once in Europe there are a lot more options should things go wrong.
Old Apr 15, 19, 9:12 am
Original Poster

AA does have a codeshare flight from mco connecting in lgw with British airways
Old Apr 15, 19, 9:14 am

I was looking at BA routings since you got me curious (I also have family that is MCO-based); is what you are seeing a true connection in LGW or does it force an LGW/LHR split? The results I was seeing were the latter.
Old Apr 15, 19, 11:38 am

Programs: Laurent-Perrier Lifetime Executive Unobtainium; Hampton Inn Coffee Club Presidential Circle
This is your best option if the cost is similar. The guy above asked about connecting airports -- you might have to get from LGW to LHR for your onward leg, but it's not a big deal. Just make sure that connection is long enough. BA is a nicer airline anyway.

For your return - avoid PHL unless you have Global Entry. Immigration there is an unmitigated disaster.

Last edited by lhrhappy; Apr 15, 19 at 11:38 am Reason: A word
Old Apr 15, 19, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by lhrhappy View Post
This is your best option if the cost is similar. The guy above asked about connecting airports -- you might have to get from LGW to LHR for your onward leg, but it's not a big deal. Just make sure that connection is long enough. BA is a nicer airline anyway.
This is just plain silly. A routing like MCO-CLT-FCO will be miles (MILES) easier than connecting in London and doing the LGW/LHR airport change and bus transfer, etc. And the A330 in coach is about as civil of an experience as you can get in TATL economy these days.

Even if you can find a MCO-LGW-FCO option without the airport change (depending on the day I see this option) for a novice traveler connecting in the US will always be easier in a situation like this. Get off the plane in CLT, walk 5 or 6 mins to your next gate, and you're good to go. No need to change terminals, clear security again, etc. etc.

No need to overthink this, no way on earth I'd mess with a London connection here when there are plenty of decent one-stop options on AA available.

Search this Thread