Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA bumps teacher chaperoning middle school field trip

AA bumps teacher chaperoning middle school field trip

Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by genotonda
Here is a link to the fox version of the story. https://www.foxnews.com/travel/teacher-claims-american-airlines-bumped-him-from-plane-sent-16-middle-schoolers-home-alone

Also one thing to note, which doesn't help clarify whether this truly was voluntary or involuntary, but in their response to the customer they stated that it was due to an aircraft change, which according to the dot website, precludes them from having to give idb compensation, correct?

Also if it were idb, aren't they supposed to give him documentation explaining his rights in that scenario?
Correct, and correct on summary of rights. No IDB compensation is mandated when a 'smaller' aircraft is substituted. The gate agent needs a lot more PR sense.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Correct, and correct on summary of rights. No IDB compensation is mandated when a 'smaller' aircraft is substituted. The gate agent needs a lot more PR sense.
I personally find it ridiculous that an aircraft substitution doesn't afford the same compensation as a "standard" IDB. I get that they didn't necessarily oversell that aircraft, but due to the sheer inconvenience, it should be treated the same. Or at a minimum, if they ending up having to IDB more people than would have even fit on the original aircraft, then all of those people should be treated as a standard IDB. Just IMO
Katamarino likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I personally find it ridiculous that an aircraft substitution doesn't afford the same compensation as a "standard" IDB. I get that they didn't necessarily oversell that aircraft, but due to the sheer inconvenience, it should be treated the same. Or at a minimum, if they ending up having to IDB more people than would have even fit on the original aircraft, then all of those people should be treated as a standard IDB. Just IMO
You can contact your Congressional representatives and the Department of Transportation to make your case. This is governed under Title 14, Code of Federal Regulation, 250 which is under the DoT's responsibility. Congress can also direct the DoT to make changes in their regulations.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/part-250
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Always fun to post some random article and then discount the facts. Why let them get in the way?

The formal response quoted in USA Today, issued by AA indicates that the guy received a $525 VDB voucher before he raised a fuss. That response also points to AA's duty under DOT rules to solicit volunteers before IDB.

To top it off, AA as a corporation and any of its employees who recorded an IDB as a VDB have caused a false report to be made to DOT. That is a felony.

I would be a little less flippant about the accusations unless you have more than a story you read in the paper.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
The formal response quoted in USA Today, issued by AA indicates that the guy received a $525 VDB voucher before he raised a fuss. That response also points to AA's duty under DOT rules to solicit volunteers before IDB.

To top it off, AA as a corporation and any of its employees who recorded an IDB as a VDB have caused a false report to be made to DOT. That is a felony.
It's certainly believable that the passenger was technically "volunteering," but in practice was volun-told or otherwise misled by AA agents. I trust no felonies were committed, but I don't trust for a second that the guy was knowingly offloading himself given his role as a chaperone.

It's rather offensive to the chaperone to suggest he willfully abandoned those kids, without any ironclad evidence that he said "Yes, screw these kids and their medications, give me $525."
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Often1
Always fun to post some random article and then discount the facts. Why let them get in the way?

I would be a little less flippant about the accusations unless you have more than a story you read in the paper.
"According to our records, and after we consulted with our team in Washington D.C., as well, he volunteered," American Airlines spokesman Ross Feinstein told USA TODAY. "As part of that process, he received compensation as a volunteer in addition to American paying for his hotel accommodation for the night and meals. We always seek volunteers before denying anyone boarding."

"Our customer relations team has also reached out to him directly regarding his concerns," Feinstein added. Link
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I don't see the problem. This was the flight HOME!
Why should he be exempt from overbooking?
If there was an issue with meds, he could have given them to the OTHER chaperone.
It is possible to buy a ticket that prevents you from being overbooked.
This seems to be making a non story into a story.
As others have pointed out, the overbooking was due to a change of aircraft, a situation that would have not required AA to pay IDB.
I am also appalled at reporting these days
The "Daily Mail" stated the ages as 8 to 11
Others have stated the ages as 11-14
As this was a middle school, the Daily Mail clearly appears to be wrong. I guess they are about as reliable as "The Sun" which needs to boost sales by what it does on Page 3.

Last edited by mvoight; Apr 13, 2019 at 12:07 am
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by davie355
Protip for AA PR department. Nobody believes you when you say the guy volunteered. Most of the country isn't as stupid as PR people believe.

Just apologize and get Doug Parker to come on record to say he will review policies for overbooked flights that have groups of kids.
Disagree, especially with the bolded text in your post, while people on FT might not believe them I'd wager good money that if you asked 500 random people at a major airport less than 10 would have the first clue what constitutes an IDB vs VDB, what those acronyms mean or the conditions where one can be denied boarding involuntarily but not be due IDB comp.

That said, when it occurs that you have more people than seats on the plane is choosing a chaperone with a bunch of kids to DB a smart PR choice? Probably not, but the "media" and twitter mob showed their ignorance by falling for some guy who wanted to get his 15mins of social media fame. People get denied boarding every day and this is only "news" (using term lightly :/) because the guy made a big fuss on twitter that everyone fell for and the what about the children angle, completely ignoring the fact the kids had other chaperones with them so its not like a bunch of kids were left unattended to fly home.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mvoight
I don't see the problem. This was the flight HOME!
Why should he be exempt from overbooking?
If there was an issue with meds, he could have given them to the OTHER chaperone.
It’s not about the meds. No well-managed student trip would ever travel with just one chaperone, for both safety and liability reasons.
It is possible to buy a ticket that prevents you from being overbooked.
Tell me how. Was he supposed to buy an F ticket?
MSPeconomist and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm not aware of any ticket that can be purchased by the general public that prevents IDBs in all circumstances.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by hbtr

It’s not about the meds. No well-managed student trip would ever travel with just one chaperone, for both safety and liability reasons.

Tell me how. Was he supposed to buy an F ticket?
He had a Basic Economy ticket, apparently. That might be where they start looking for IDB.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wonder what would have happened if this were the outbound flight of the trip.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
Same here, it is not the customers fault it is the airlines fault that they subbed aircraft, they should be responsible, also I think IDB should be on a sliding scale by how much the customer is delayed. You IDB someone on the last flight of the day and they can't get home till the next day it is 20 x purchase price, a few hours late 4 x etc.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dgparent
Same here, it is not the customers fault it is the airlines fault that they subbed aircraft, they should be responsible, also I think IDB should be on a sliding scale by how much the customer is delayed. You IDB someone on the last flight of the day and they can't get home till the next day it is 20 x purchase price, a few hours late 4 x etc.
The rules already say the IDB payments are 0, X2, or X4.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The rules already say the IDB payments are 0, X2, or X4.
Personally I don't think 4 x is high enough, should max out at something like 20 x.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.