Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA needs to fix their paper Voucher program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA needs to fix their paper Voucher program

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
They dont need to fix it. They need to eliminate it.
What they need to do is to be like Alaska. Load it into your AAdvantage account wallet and let you use it online. Why does there need to be any paper involved in this process? Alaska uses SABRE so it can actually be done at AA.

Why is AA such a laggard in the ticketing arena -- from paper vouchers to taking days and weeks to "ticket" a reservation???
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:59 pm

They also have evouchers. The paper ones have benefits compared to other airlines.

Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread

Last edited by rrgg; Apr 13, 2019 at 6:12 am
Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:33 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Exactly. AA knows that a certain number of paper vouchers will get lost or destroyed by accident. I immediately use mine and turn them in the day of travel at the airport.
It would be an interesting trivial fact to know the "spoilage" percentage of paper versus e vouchers..suspect a fairly big gulf separates the two--something AA's financial folks are fully aware of
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:34 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
I recently took a very last minute trip from LAX-HKG using an expiring paper voucher. On the way to LAX to take the flight, I stopped by another smaller airport with an AA ticket counter and redeemed the voucher+cash to book the travel for that night and then called to get a confirm SWU. Was an easy process and didn’t have to deal with the mail.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by luckypierre
It would be an interesting trivial fact to know the "spoilage" percentage of paper versus e vouchers..suspect a fairly big gulf separates the two--something AA's financial folks are fully aware of
I saw something in the paper voucher about recovering a lost one for a fee ($100?). Not sure if that's really the case since I never tried. I always take photos of these vouchers upon receiving.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
I had a flight go MX last one of the day and of course we waited till about 3 AM before they cancelled it went to a hotel and came back the next morning, after I put my claim in AA called and siad they would give me a $300 voucher instead. The 1st thing I asked was is it a paper voucher, if so just give me the money, I hate those things.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by seigex
I recently took a very last minute trip from LAX-HKG using an expiring paper voucher. On the way to LAX to take the flight, I stopped by another smaller airport with an AA ticket counter and redeemed the voucher+cash to book the travel for that night and then called to get a confirm SWU. Was an easy process and didn’t have to deal with the mail.
it is relatively easy IF you have the time and easy access to an airport. Or you are at an airport and have to make a last minute booking.

it would be even easier if you could just do it online. Or the vouchers were already attached to your FFQ number. When Uber gives me a credit, it automatically shows up in my app and can be used with a single button click
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Exactly. AA knows that a certain number of paper vouchers will get lost or destroyed by accident. I immediately use mine and turn them in the day of travel at the airport.
This is exactly what I thought. They know the utilization of the paper vouchers will be less than that of the e-vouchers so they'd much prefer to issue those.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
I appreciate all the feedback everyone! I should have taken this as a sign the trip was no good because overall we ended up getting delayed on the rebooking, spent a night in Chicago, then got cancelled altogether. However, our bags are still on their way to the destination but we are back home.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Antarius
it is relatively easy IF you have the time and easy access to an airport. Or you are at an airport and have to make a last minute booking.

it would be even easier if you could just do it online. Or the vouchers were already attached to your FFQ number. When Uber gives me a credit, it automatically shows up in my app and can be used with a single button click
granted...I am lucky to live near a small airport (ONT) with easy entry in and out. I agree they need to go evouchers, but keep in mind that they have to redesign their antiquated systems (shoot they barely have a working app that doesn't notify me with a push notification when boarding is started or an upgrade has cleared) versus Uber that started with a modern IT system. There needs to be a forward looking CEO/CTO to get their systems updated to modern times.
Antarius likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 4:30 am

Biggest PITA ever

My paper voucher has become the absolute bane of my existence. It was quicker and easier to get my masters degree than to deal with AA’s ridiculously antiquated system of nonsensical rules that many of the AA Customer Service phone reps and airline counter agents, don’t totally understand themselves! (One gave me misinformation that almost caused me to lose it entirely. Argh!) It becomes more of a pain in the ... to deal with every year I extend it as it’s about to expire. (It’s a rather large credit that I haven’t been able to use up so the only way to extend the balance is to keep buying cheap one-way flights I don’t take to extend it another year.) As much as I want to save it for when I can get enough time off from work to take my European dream vacation, I’m starting to think I’d get more pleasure out of burning the damn thing!
Old Sep 7, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Shannon Karageorge
My paper voucher has become the absolute bane of my existence. It was quicker and easier to get my masters degree than to deal with AA’s ridiculously antiquated system of nonsensical rules that many of the AA Customer Service phone reps and airline counter agents, don’t totally understand themselves! (One gave me misinformation that almost caused me to lose it entirely. Argh!) It becomes more of a pain in the ... to deal with every year I extend it as it’s about to expire. (It’s a rather large credit that I haven’t been able to use up so the only way to extend the balance is to keep buying cheap one-way flights I don’t take to extend it another year.) As much as I want to save it for when I can get enough time off from work to take my European dream vacation, I’m starting to think I’d get more pleasure out of burning the damn thing!
What specifically went wrong? I've used vouchers and, while antiquated, never had a problem redeeming it by mailing it to AA as instructed.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Any process that involves snail-mailing anything is a bad process, period.

Personally, I've had a lot of AA paper vouchers over the years and never had an issue using them at the airport. (Better were the days of Platinum Service Centers and CTO's - but an airport agent will suffice.)

AA's process is 2nd worst only to Spirit. And when you're being compared to Spirit for, well, anything, that's not good.
TheDudeAbides and wavid like this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 9:43 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
That's part of the purpose of paper vouchers as a certain percentage won't use them, forget them, lose them or have too much difficulties using them and will give up.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
because that's how US Airways used to do it.
Not quite correct. pmAA was the one who had the current mail-in voucher system. I know this with certainity, because I had to use it in 2011 and 2012 with AA, which predated the merger. pmUS, on the other hand, allowed you to call in with their paper vouchers and provide the code, then they'd redeem it on the spot. No need to mail anything in.
TheDudeAbides likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.