Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

“We will lock you in the bathroom during turbulence”

Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

I was on my way to the bathroom on a RJ today when the seatbelt light came on. I’d already been waiting quite a while for the beverage cart to clear the aisle, so I was in a bad way, and did duck in and take care of business real quick.

When I opened the door 60-90 seconds later, the FA had pulled out and sat in her seat (which apparently slides in front of the bathroom door), completely trapping me in. With a roll of her eyes and a huge sigh, she got up and let me out. She said “Next time listen to the announcement. We will lock you in there.”

I know the arguments could go on for days about the appropriate action when the seatbelt sign comes on and you are in (or almost in) the restroom. I’m not interested in starting that back up. I just want to know if they actually can/will lock you in the bathroom during turbulence. That seems like a huge legal issue if anybody got hurt. I’m assuming she was just unhappy about having to get back up out of her seat, and having another FA catch her not having checked whether the door was locked before she covered it with her seat.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Which carrier was the flight operated by? Seems as the mainline FA's improve the Eagle FA's get worse and worse.
IAD_flyer likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Skywest
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by bobert24
I was on my way to the bathroom on a RJ today when the seatbelt light came on. I’d already been waiting quite a while for the beverage cart to clear the aisle, so I was in a bad way, and did duck in and take care of business real quick.

When I opened the door 60-90 seconds later, the FA had pulled out and sat in her seat (which apparently slides in front of the bathroom door), completely trapping me in. With a roll of her eyes and a huge sigh, she got up and let me out. She said “Next time listen to the announcement. We will lock you in there.”

I know the arguments could go on for days about the appropriate action when the seatbelt sign comes on and you are in (or almost in) the restroom. I’m not interested in starting that back up. I just want to know if they actually can/will lock you in the bathroom during turbulence. That seems like a huge legal issue if anybody got hurt. I’m assuming she was just unhappy about having to get back up out of her seat, and having another FA catch her not having checked whether the door was locked before she covered it with her seat.
I’d imagine the FAA would rather not have this happen.
enviroian, IndyHoosier and seigex like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:04 pm

Relevant K&P sketch:
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:08 pm

This FA is just one of many ignorant adults who think the way their kindergarten teachers enforced behavior is an appropriate model of interaction with other adults in society.

Simply nod your head, say tersely “I understand,” and return to your seat without further ado. Trash the ratings on the post-flight survey if you get one.
AAway, Xonus, AANYC1981 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:36 pm

That FA sounds like a sad, sad, miserable excuse of a human being. If I was in that situation there would have been a lot of things I would want to say to her, but wouldn't.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Bless her heart and move on.....not worth your blood pressure.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:17 am

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/MUC/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
I've done it, twice -- once on AA & once on BA (woke up in F at 10 minutes to landing, had a VERY quick cup of tea and scone, went up to use the bathroom and was told just to stay in there because we were almost landing). On AA it was nbd, the FA was friendly and likewise said to stay in if I wasn't going to be back in my seat immediately. (When you gotta go, you gotta go!) From both of these experiences, I got the feeling that it was "disfavored but allowable" to have a pax in the lav if need be.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Locking someone in a bathroom IS A CRIME!!!!
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by mvoight
Locking someone in a bathroom IS A CRIME!!!!
So is not following all posted placards as well as crew member instructions.
smc333 and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:17 am

If they would just put seat belts on the toilet this would never be a problem
sbjnyc likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:49 am
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
If US carriers treated the seatbelt sign like international carriers do, this wouldn’t be much of an issue. Most flyers in the US have become immune to the seatbelt sign as it stays illuminated during large periods of clear skies. Case in point, on my IAD-LAX flight the other day, the sign was on the entire flight without the slightest bump.

Was she humorous during the flight? Maybe she thought she was being funny. If not, I would have nodded when she had said that and given her a fake smile and rolled by eyes as I walked back to my seat. When I sat down I would have typed up a letter to AA and Skywest (and CC the other). Then when I disembarked (assuming that she was at the forward entry door) I would have told her that her comment was extremely inappropriate and I already had contacted both AA and Skywest corporate about the incident.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Originally Posted by james318
So is not following all posted placards as well as crew member instructions.
The way I've been explained it by several flight attendants is that they can't tell you not to go to the bathroom, only suggest that the seatbelt sign is on.

Sounds like they are forbidden from giving you a direct order thus you aren't violating any laws by going to the bathroom.
This is just my understanding and it may be incorrect.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by davie355
This FA is just one of many ignorant adults who think the way their kindergarten teachers enforced behavior is an appropriate model of interaction with other adults in society.

Simply nod your head, say tersely “I understand,” and return to your seat without further ado. Trash the ratings on the post-flight survey if you get one.
It's a lack of training or care, they would rather escalate situations and act like a victim.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.