Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

“We will lock you in the bathroom during turbulence”

“We will lock you in the bathroom during turbulence”

Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shadowfactor
The way I've been explained it by several flight attendants is that they can't tell you not to go to the bathroom, only suggest that the seatbelt sign is on.

Sounds like they are forbidden from giving you a direct order thus you aren't violating any laws by going to the bathroom.
This is just my understanding and it may be incorrect.
That's basically what they told me on CX too. "We can't tell you it's ok, only suggest that you stay seated"
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:39 am

But is it against the LAW?
CappuccinoAddict and seigex like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's against the law under most circumstances for anyone to lock another person in a small room and not let them out.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Never seen a lock on a lav door that only locks from the outside. The times they have locked it, all they do is lift the cover and slide the same lock that you use from the inside. So, nothing to stop you from coming out if they did.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Never seen a lock on a lav door that only locks from the outside. The times they have locked it, all they do is lift the cover and slide the same lock that you use from the inside. So, nothing to stop you from coming out if they did.
How many passengers know that and how many of those would think of doing it if they're panicking because they're locked in a lavatory?
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm, never knew that it would be best just to stay in the lav (seated) if necessary for landing.
I've had some "close calls" upon approach, but I think I've always made it out in time.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How many passengers know that and how many of those would think of doing it if they're panicking because they're locked in a lavatory?
Wouldn't most passengers have the door locked anyway?

The FA is probably just trying to be funny. Of course they are not going to lock you in the bathroom, even if they could.
nancypants and seigex like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Op's lav door was blocked by the FA's seat if she didn't get up and move. It's a figurative "lock" because it's blocked. Not that they would use the door lock.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Ugh, I'm getting secondhand anxiety just reading this. I can imagine in a few areas where this could go completely wrong and become needlessly escalated:

a) A deaf passenger goes in, gets blocked in. S/he cannot communicate or hear. Panic ensues, the passenger tries to break out. Police is called upon arrival.
b) A claustrophobic passenger gets blocked in. Panic gets to a point where s/he passes out.
c) A blind passenger gets blocked in, thinks s/he opened the wrong door, gets confused and flails around.

In no way is this right, at all.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:39 am

When the FA locks them out for takeoff and landing, they’re using the same slide lock you can open from the inside. There just manipulating it from the outside. You just had a crackpot spinning yarns, if this were an Envoy flight, I would have asked if her name is Carmen.
bchandler02 and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Speedbird48
That FA sounds like a sad, sad, miserable excuse of a human being. If I was in that situation there would have been a lot of things I would want to say to her, but wouldn't.
Or she was kidding. A female FA recently threatened me with a spanking (I don't remember what for, but I told her that I deserved it).
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by catcher1
Or she was kidding. A female FA recently threatened me with a spanking (I don't remember what for, but I told her that I deserved it).
If a male FA did that to a female passenger he would be hauled off to police and charged with sexual something. It would be all over the news.

Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
"Thanls for letting me know" and move on

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would think almost any passenger would know that to get out of the lavatory that they had locked that they need to unlock the same lock, in the opposite direction. At least I would hope so.
chrisny2, bobert24 and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
When the FA locks them out for takeoff and landing, they’re using the same slide lock you can open from the inside. There just manipulating it from the outside. You just had a crackpot spinning yarns, if this were an Envoy flight, I would have asked if her name is Carmen.
Sounds like your have a story about "Carmen" lol.
HofstraJet likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Shadowfactor
The way I've been explained it by several flight attendants is that they can't tell you not to go to the bathroom, only suggest that the seatbelt sign is on.

Sounds like they are forbidden from giving you a direct order thus you aren't violating any laws by going to the bathroom.
This is just my understanding and it may be incorrect.
I was told is it is a liability to the airline if they tell you it is OK to leave your seat when the seatbelt light is on. So, don't ask permission if you need to go.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.