Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 300 (N114NN) hits sign on / about takeoff from JFK and returns (10 Apr 2019)

AA 300 (N114NN) hits sign on / about takeoff from JFK and returns (10 Apr 2019)

Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Continued flight with physical damage??
According to the NTSB report flight crew regarded it as a 'simple' tail strike and opted to fly to their home base for repair.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EXP. HH DIAMOND.
Could AA300 have flown and landed safely with the wing tip in that condition?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by nismo240ssx

I presume you mean all the way to LAX. No way of knowing. Possible that at cruise speed/altitude more damage could occur.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
Probably, but clearly the crew was prudent to return to JFK since they had no idea the extent of the damage, if any. I'm assume that something didn't feel or sound right. Would have loved to have heard the cockpit conversation in the 10 minutes between take off and the decision to return.
MSPeconomist, wrp96 and Antarius like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:18 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
It did

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
I presume you mean all the way to LAX. No way of knowing. Possible that at cruise speed/altitude more damage could occur.
This.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Duck1981
Correct, after landing in Doha a hull defect was detected. Obviously the plane hit the antenna with its tail.

(you can google the full NTSB report).

Consequently, 2 out of the 4 pilots were given the boot. There was a similar incident with an EK A340-500 (I think in Johannesburg) around that time as well; the airplane returned to the airport (they also lost their jobs). Both Pilot/ 1st O did not recognise that they've entered the wrong departure weight.
there was an Air India flight a few months ago that hit a wall on takeoff and tore up the underside. Pilots disregarded ATC warning that they hit something and continued on to DXB. Halfway to DXB overwater they were sent back and diverted to BOM.

unreal. Glad the crew here did the smart thing after impact. Am very curious at to what caused this - extremely bizarre.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SFO777
Probably, but clearly the crew was prudent to return to JFK since they had no idea the extent of the damage, if any. I'm assume that something didn't feel or sound right. Would have loved to have heard the cockpit conversation in the 10 minutes between take off and the decision to return.
It's not the sort of question that you want to answer by trying it to see what happens.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:57 am

Found a video link of the damaged wing posted on one of the other websites, hopefully it works: https://streamable.com/v7ur3

This is a lot more telling. That wing was dragging on the ground by its underside.
EmailKid, SFO777 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Wingtip actually dragged along the ground? Wow.

Google's measurement tool says the DTG marker is >175 from centerline, >75 feet from the lined edge of the runway. That damage is at least 5 feet from the wingtip. If 59 feet from aircraft center to wingtip is correct, that means the aircraft centerline was more then 20 feet off the lined edge of the runway., dragging it's wing on the ground. It could have been a lot worse.

I'm surprised it took more than a minute after being airborne to request a return.
SFO777 and MSPeconomist like this.

Last edited by CPRich; Apr 12, 2019 at 11:52 am
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by CPRich
Wingtip actually dragged along the ground? Wow.

Google's measurement tool says the DTG marker is >175 from centerline, >75 feet from the lined edge of the runway. That damage is at least 5 feet from the wingtip. If 59 feet from aircraft center to wingtip is correct, that means the aircraft centerline was more then 20 feet off the lined edge of the runway., dragging it's wing on the ground. It could have been a lot worse.

I'm surprised it took more than a minute after being airborne to request a return.
I landed in an RJ on 4R about 75 minutes before this plane rolled. Winds were increasing at the time and were coming out of due north based on how we landed. The runway used was widened and lengthened to handle larger planes (A380 for example) but the departure route is usually a fairly angled left turn over Jamaica Bay and the old airport off Flatbush Avenue. The winds must have picked up considerably after we landed for this plane to have that kind of roll and perhaps be off the center line for takeoff.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: CATHAY PACIFIC
The plane was repaired so quick. Back into service on the second day!!!!
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
Another story a week later with an eye catching headline... "American Airlines jet nearly crashed during takeoff at JFK last week".
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/american-airlines-flight-300-jfk-close-call-appears-worse-than-first-reported/

Apparently, the wing hit a light pole in addition to the DTG sign.

One source briefed on the incident told CBS News: "That was as close as anybody would ever want to come to crashing." According to people familiar with the ongoing investigation, preliminary indicators are that there was a "loss of control" on takeoff, reports CBS News correspondent Kris Van Cleave. The Airbus A321 took off around 8:40 p.m. on April 10, bound for Los Angeles. But just as the plane was beginning to lift off, it rolled to the left, causing the wing tip to scrape the ground. The wing then hit a runway sign and a light pole before pilots managed to regain control and continued the takeoff. The force of the impact bent the wing.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by SFO777
Another story a week later with an eye catching headline... "American Airlines jet nearly crashed during takeoff at JFK last week".
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/american-airlines-flight-300-jfk-close-call-appears-worse-than-first-reported/

Apparently, the wing hit a light pole in addition to the DTG sign.

One source briefed on the incident told CBS News: "That was as close as anybody would ever want to come to crashing." According to people familiar with the ongoing investigation, preliminary indicators are that there was a "loss of control" on takeoff, reports CBS News correspondent Kris Van Cleave. The Airbus A321 took off around 8:40 p.m. on April 10, bound for Los Angeles. But just as the plane was beginning to lift off, it rolled to the left, causing the wing tip to scrape the ground. The wing then hit a runway sign and a light pole before pilots managed to regain control and continued the takeoff. The force of the impact bent the wing.
Yea, I was just watching the evening news and they were talking about this. They seemed to be covering event so late after the fact, I thought it had happened again.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:36 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Let's give a plug to Simon Hradecky and his AV Herald, where a post today claims that the she was on the fateful AA 300:

Computer Malfunction

By ELizabeth Lucsko on Wednesday, Apr 17th 2019 22:11Z

I was aboard this aircraft. The take off was fast, rather quick and felt short. Then we pitched down and banked right (left wing up) and then left (right wing up) and the back felt to skid out sideways, I was in the window seat just behind the left win .....

AV Herald
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by Raymond Lu
The plane was repaired so quick. Back into service on the second day!!!!
Dont think so. If Im not mistaken the airframe was N114NN which hasnt flown since. I heard somewhere they were scrapping the airframe. Not an expert but seems weird they couldnt repair it and would instead scrap it...
MSPeconomist likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.