Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Discussion for AA JFK<-->SEA nonstop (or lack of) service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion for AA JFK<-->SEA nonstop (or lack of) service

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:20 pm

Why not just have them change you to a different flight?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you checked if there are any SEA-xxx-NYC AA flights that would have a better schedule?
The AA computer does not always select the best option

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 23, 2019 at 9:41 pm Reason: added "-xxx-"
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
As OP pointed out AA doesn’t run SEA-NYC anymore. Elsewhere here it’s been cited as related to the MAX groundings.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:39 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I would have them route you SEA-LAX-JFK on the A321T if you have eltie status and can score an upgrade. You also get free food in Y on this route.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:45 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by armus
As OP pointed out AA doesn’t run SEA-NYC anymore. Elsewhere here it’s been cited as related to the MAX groundings.
To be clear, AA has temporarily suspended JFKSEA through at least the end of August (it is bookable past that) exact,y because of the 737MAX groundings,
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:45 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
+1 ask for SEA-LAX-NYC as there are red eye options that will maximize sleep and minimize time off work.
You could also ask for SEA-PHL-Amtrak. Which honestly isn’t that much slower than JFK-Manhattan at rush hour.
JoeWoodstock likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:51 am

To more directly answer the OP's question, no. Beyond allowing you to choose almost any way to get there that is offered on AA metal, you won't receive any compensation for a schedule change well in advance, especially one due to MAX grounding. Perhaps you might be able to convince them to reissue the voucher with a new expiration date, but not much beyond that.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by _fx
+1 ask for SEA-LAX-NYC as there are red eye options that will maximize sleep and minimize time off work.
You could also ask for SEA-PHL-Amtrak. Which honestly isn’t that much slower than JFK-Manhattan at rush hour.
Those options don't exist on the date I'm flying. Also I'm disabled and I only book non-stop flights because I find connections incredibly difficult. My original flight was supposed to get in at 5am, which is totally fine traffic-wise in NYC and a lot faster than waiting for and getting on Amtrak -- I'd be guaranteed a taxi in minutes as opposed to dealing with any myriad of plane/train delays. If I knew I would get anything but a direct flight I would've spent the money on another airline, but now I will have to spend even more because prices have gone up in the period I was assuming I was all set.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:28 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

If they refund the voucher, it's now valid from 1 year of the re-issue date. I've done this a few times and (while it's annoying that it has to take weeks for a paper voucher to be mailed to you), it gives you a "free" extension of the voucher.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
If you need the non-stop, I would ask for a refund and book on Delta or JetBlue. Unfortunately the MAX issues and AA's current general lack of reliability are causing lots of problems.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
The 737 Max issue is impacting many airlines and driving prices up as it is taking out a few percent of Airline seats during the busiest period of the year. Not sure when you booked your ticket but American isn't happy about grounding aircraft either.

if you provide us your dates, we may be able to help with alternatives. For example, there's a 6 p.m. out of Seattle that connects in Phoenix and arrives in JFK at 6 a.m.

Phoenix does seem to have a pretty good system for helping disabled passengers connect.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Just FYI another contributing factor to the reduction of JFK flights is the summer runway construction at JFK.

That said, I understand the disability problem. I agree with the previous poster that PHX (due to its population demographics) is a bit better with disabled passengers. If the 6pm PHX flight connecting the redeye JFK flights is available on your travel dates, I would highly recommend it.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:54 am

Given your disability you may be able to find an agent willing to put on a nonstop AS flight. Usually interlining is only an option with day of flight IROPs, but they may make an exception in this case. AA doesn't interline with B6, and the DL interline agreement is limited to IROPS, but AS is a possibility.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:59 pm

What does AS stand for?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:00 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by nyoka
What does AS stand for?
Alaska Airlines. SEA is their hub. They run multiple nonstops SEA-NYC each day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.