Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Crazy rule about removing a systemwide upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crazy rule about removing a systemwide upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:10 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
Thumbs down Crazy rule about removing a systemwide upgrade

I used a systemwide upgrade on a transcon from J to F. I tried to remove it to use for a different flight. I was told that since my original J class fare was unavailable I would have to pay more to go back to J. Is this crazy or HUCA ?
The representative checked with someone to confirm this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by mmgm
I used a systemwide upgrade on a transcon from J to F. I tried to remove it to use for a different flight. I was told that since my original J class fare was unavailable I would have to pay more to go back to J. Is this crazy or HUCA ?
If you want to use the SWU for an international flight, would it make sense to ask about changing the transcon upgrade to a miles + copay?
MathMusic likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
I don't know the exact rule here but from what I understand of the OP, the SWU is confirmed, not just requested. It is easy to "un-request" an upgrade for which you're standing by, but once your upgrade is confirmed, it's not possible to "un-upgrade". Once your ticket is re-issued you are an F passenger, not a J passenger who happens to be upgraded to F (and correctly you will be treated like an F passenger in the event of IRROPS, etc). Un-upgrading means another ticket change and of course requires the desired inventory to be available.

A different perspective: once your SWU clears you into F, that opens up the J inventory, which AA can sell to someone else. If you come back later and decide you don't want the upgrade, what are they supposed to do if that inventory is now long gone (which is what it sounds like has happened)? In the extreme, should they oversell J so that you can have your SWU back? If I was in AA's position I wouldn't let you do this.

Agree with ShortDog's advice as something you could try but if they don't let you do this, I would seriously move on.
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:40 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wetrat0
I don't know the exact rule here but from what I understand of the OP, the SWU is confirmed, not just requested. It is easy to "un-request" an upgrade for which you're standing by, but once your upgrade is confirmed, it's not possible to "un-upgrade". Once your ticket is re-issued you are an F passenger, not a J passenger who happens to be upgraded to F (and correctly you will be treated like an F passenger in the event of IRROPS, etc). Un-upgrading means another ticket change and of course requires the desired inventory to be available.

A different perspective: once your SWU clears you into F, that opens up the J inventory, which AA can sell to someone else. If you come back later and decide you don't want the upgrade, what are they supposed to do if that inventory is now long gone (which is what it sounds like has happened)? In the extreme, should they oversell J so that you can have your SWU back? If I was in AA's position I wouldn't let you do this.

Agree with ShortDog's advice as something you could try but if they don't let you do this, I would seriously move on.
J is wide open. It’s my fare class that is gone. As an EXP for the past 20 years this is something I have done several times in the past. I was never told my fare class had to be available in the past.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

J is wide open. It’s my fare class that is gone. As an EXP for the past 20 years this is something I have done several times in the past. I was never told my fare class had to be available in the past.
Have you tried a few HUCAs?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While AA generally advises that its front line agents do not have the capability to call RM, I would nonetheless refine my next call. If the agent processes the downgrade, all the better. But, if she does not due to J fare bucket considerations, ask whether she can make the request that AA free up a J seat in the required fare bucket.

Not something I would expect to take place during a call, but worth the effort.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:47 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Have you tried a few HUCAs?
I tried a second time and was quoted the same rule. From my experience this is clearly a new rule.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:36 pm

I tried a second time and was quoted the same rule. From my experience this is clearly a new rule.
No, as far as I can remember, this rule has been around for a long time. (Though it might not have been strictly enforced.) Perhaps all the other times you did it, your original fare class was available?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Djokison

No, as far as I can remember, this rule has been around for a long time. (Though it might not have been strictly enforced.) Perhaps all the other times you did it, your original fare class was available?
+1, I've encountered this rule a few times, even 3 or 4 years ago. I do agree that enforcement might be more strict now -- AA management seems to be hell-bent on making sure even top customers aren't treated nicely once in a while...
Old Apr 10, 2019, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I believe that this is correct. If booked in , say, 'I' class and the upgrade is available, the ticket is reissued in the new booking class (A I believe for 1st class ). The process to downgrade is the same. The ricket has to be rebooked into business class inventory; if 'I' class is no longer available then needs to be booked into the next lowest available class

Perhaps in the previous cases, the booking class has been available, so no reason for the agent to say anything
Old Apr 10, 2019, 3:15 pm

Isn't this the case for any upgrade, not just SWUs?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by richarddd
Isn't this the case for any upgrade, not just SWUs?
Correct, this is the case for 500 mile upgrades, as well.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 3:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Could part of the problem be that your original fare class has an advanced purchase requirement that you cannot meet now? That would explain why the J cabin is wide open but your fare class isn't available. I'm not sure whether this could make it harder for an agent to override the requirement and reissue your ticket in business class.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Djokison

Correct, this is the case for 500 mile upgrades, as well.
There have definitely been reports of this over the years.
The difference is that you can clear a 500-mile upgrade request in advance without having the stickers in your account. If you then refuse to purchase the stickers, and your original fare class isn't available, it kind of puts AA between a rock and a hard place. Either they force the downgrade, or they IDB you. I believe the former requires either a supervisor or a call to revenue management, but 99% sure that's what they'll do.

AA downgrades people from time to time, it's probably fair to say that not all those times is the original booking class available, yet they make it happen. It's just a matter of whether they want to or not...
Old Apr 10, 2019, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Could part of the problem be that your original fare class has an advanced purchase requirement that you cannot meet now? That would explain why the J cabin is wide open but your fare class isn't available. I'm not sure whether this could make it harder for an agent to override the requirement and reissue your ticket in business class.
In theory, if that even is the case (and I'm not sure it is) that would only be a problem on the first segment of an itinerary. May or may not be relevant for the OP.

That said, AA certainly zeros out (or limits the sale of) "I" inventory on near-empty transcons in advance; it would certainly be easy enough to check. I also think there are probably some pretty expensive I fares out there with minimal advance purchase requirements on these routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.