Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pilots forgetting to announce landing

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
No double chime? That usually tips the FAs and more seasoned travelers that the aircraft is near/on final. I don't think that's just a UA thing, is it?
enpremiere and Spanish like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Bonehead
No double chime? That usually tips the FAs and more seasoned travelers that the aircraft is near/on final. I don't think that's just a UA thing, is it?
Yes, me. Lol

Pilot did the double chime before taking off at DFW that’s it.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
People in the back have no idea of the pilots work load
  • Aviate
  • Navigate
  • Communicate
We know this, but there are FEDERAL LAWS requiring certain things before landing.
1. Disabling specific devices
2. Ensuring passenger safety - Seatbelts, seat back, etc..........
BearX220 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
Yes, me. Lol

Pilot did the double chime before taking off at DFW that’s it.
Never heard the double chime before takeoff. Maybe they only get one double chime/flight.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Never heard the double chime before takeoff. Maybe they only get one double chime/flight.
Really? I always hear the “ding ding” usually when we’re at < 3 in line for takeoff. Just heard it 2 hours ago when we took off at Indy in the 738.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
About 4 years ago, FA was just yammering away with a passenger as we were taxiing. Another passenger, finally firmly, grabs the FA and says, "We are now on an active runway and about to throttle up." FA barely got fastened in before the wheels left the ground.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I always find it interesting that the FA's seem somewhat blase about how close we are to takeoff or landing. Maybe I'm just one of those people who worry unnecessarily or doesn't like to be pushing up against the very last minute to get things done.
So often do I see FA's very slowly preparing when we are imminent with takeoff or landing. The worst was once on UA when I was in the exit row on a 747 and the FA was still tidying up and actually in the lavatory (door open) tidying when we basically touched down. She then ran to her jumpseat with a sheepish look on her face while the three of us in the exit row were speechless
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
the double ding happens when the plane crosses the runway threshold.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by peter1962
Several passengers were still wearing headphones
This by itself is not a problem, right?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
the double ding happens when the plane crosses the runway threshold.
Or too many old fashioned’s when I hit the bed
enpremiere and Spanish like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
The notification procedure may depend on the airline.
At United, we have a checklist item prior to takeoff to notify the crew. Supposed to be done within 2 minutes of takeoff. It's been that way as long as I can remember and on all aircraft that I've flown. Very hard to miss making that announcement.

Passing 10,000 ft on climbout and descent, we're supposed to do a double chime to let the FAs know when sterile flight deck ends/starts - it is also used to notify the flight attendants to prep for landing. NOT A CHECKLIST ITEM on any aircraft I've flown.
Have I forgotten the double chime on descent? Yes; it happens. Not often, but it happens.

There used to be a landing announcement but that was removed quite a while ago. I don't remember if it was associated with a checklist; I doubt it due to there not being a checklist to incorporate the announcement at the appropriate time.

PHL, the mainline UAL pilot who stated that notifying the crew prior to landing is a checklist item is wrong. Doing a double chime s in the FOM (flight operations manual) but not in a checklist on any UAL aircraft I've flown.
nancypants and seigex like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
At United, we have a checklist item prior to takeoff to notify the crew. Supposed to be done within 2 minutes of takeoff. It's been that way as long as I can remember and on all aircraft that I've flown. Very hard to miss making that announcement.

Passing 10,000 ft on climbout and descent, we're supposed to do a double chime to let the FAs know when sterile flight deck ends/starts - it is also used to notify the flight attendants to prep for landing. NOT A CHECKLIST ITEM on any aircraft I've flown.
Thanks for your perspective.

Out of curiosity, is a checkin from the FAs required or part of the procedure? Either calling up to say the cabin is secure before takeoff and landing or calling up to say "cabin not secure" when they make that announcement in the cabin when some passenger decides that just after the "flight attendants, prepare for takeoff/landing" call is the right time to get something out of the overhead bin?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I was on a flight around Christmas and the FA serving First Class was quite young and it was her first time working the front cabin. A couple older flight attendants were working in the back of the plane, and offered to help the young FA with anything she needed before the aircraft door was even closed. The young FA was full of confidence and told the older FAs that she was good, that she had "been through training" (exact words). Everything she did, she needed to thoroughly consult her manual instead of accepting any help or advice from the other FAs, from reading the safety announcements to drink service and meal prep, and was not moving quickly for anything.

This was a 2-ish hour flight, right around the minimum for serving a meal. I think it may have even been an exception route slightly under the usual meal threshold. At any rate, it took this FA one hour and 35 minutes to serve the first round of beverages, right as I felt the plane start to descend. About fifteen minutes later, the meals were brought out. I think our trays were in front of us for all of about three minutes before the captain tells the FAs to prepare for landing, because we were passing through 10,000 feet.

The FA completely froze like a deer in headlights. Her manual didn't have a section on how to deal with this. Even though she still had about ten minutes until landing, she only managed to clear 2 out of 16 trays before the plane landed and then just gave up in panic and buckled herself in, with the rest of the meal trays still sitting out on our tray tables. Once we reached the gate, we lifted them up off the tray tables so we could stow the tray tables and get to the aisle, and just left the trays in our seats.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by javabytes
I was on a flight around Christmas and the FA serving First Class was quite young and it was her first time working the front cabin. A couple older flight attendants were working in the back of the plane, and offered to help the young FA with anything she needed before the aircraft door was even closed. The young FA was full of confidence and told the older FAs that she was good, that she had "been through training" (exact words). Everything she did, she needed to thoroughly consult her manual instead of accepting any help or advice from the other FAs, from reading the safety announcements to drink service and meal prep, and was not moving quickly for anything.

This was a 2-ish hour flight, right around the minimum for serving a meal. I think it may have even been an exception route slightly under the usual meal threshold. At any rate, it took this FA one hour and 35 minutes to serve the first round of beverages, right as I felt the plane start to descend. About fifteen minutes later, the meals were brought out. I think our trays were in front of us for all of about three minutes before the captain tells the FAs to prepare for landing, because we were passing through 10,000 feet.

The FA completely froze like a deer in headlights. Her manual didn't have a section on how to deal with this. Even though she still had about ten minutes until landing, she only managed to clear 2 out of 16 trays before the plane landed and then just gave up in panic and buckled herself in, with the rest of the meal trays still sitting out on our tray tables. Once we reached the gate, we lifted them up off the tray tables so we could stow the tray tables and get to the aisle, and just left the trays in our seats.
Wow, that’s pretty bad.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:45 am

Isn’t there a simple possible explanation here where an intercom button accidentally doesn’t get held down or something?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.