Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Fumigation of checked luggage on arrival at Santiago (SCL)

Old Apr 9, 19, 9:07 am
Original Poster

This morning's inbound 945 from DFW had their luggage held for an extra 30+ minutes to be "fumigated". (I wasn't on the flight, but heard from someone who was on it.) When questioned, an agent said "Oh, that happens about half the time here."

Either this is new or I've been incredibly lucky, arriving in SCL on 945 every ~6 weeks for the past couple years and not having encountered this.

The luggage was reported to be "wet" coming out on the conveyor belt, but that's pretty common in SCL with super-cold-soaked luggage condensing a bunch of moisture out of the humid fall/winter air.
Old Apr 9, 19, 9:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage (peon)
During a recent booking AA presented a warning and this URL about aircraft deinsection. I assumed that only the warning, rather than the practice, was new (I wasnít aware of the practice nor have been aware of its use).
Old Apr 9, 19, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Happened to me on a flight to SCL about 7 years ago. So the process isn't new.
BlatheringPenguin likes this.
Old Apr 9, 19, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, BAEC Silver, IHG Ambassador Spire, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum
I wonder... do they walk through the cabin spraying insecticide like they do when you fly into Malaysia?
Old Apr 10, 19, 12:00 am

Programs: AA EXP / Marriott AMB & LT Titanium
Originally Posted by kabroui View Post
I wonder... do they walk through the cabin spraying insecticide like they do when you fly into Malaysia?
The only time I have seen this was pre-departure on the LAN flight from Easter Island to Santiago.
Old Apr 10, 19, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kabroui View Post
Iíve only ever seen that a few times going into Australia years ago.
Old Apr 10, 19, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
The fumigation method of the cabin varies depending on the airline and the country involved. see for example the table here US DoT

So yes some require the spray the cans in the cabin with passengers present method.

Chile uses the residual method for the cabin but of course in this case it was the baggage that was fumigated.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: