Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

When does AA stop serving dinner on midcons?

Old Apr 8, 19, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum

About to take a midcon leaving DFW at 8:30 pm in F. Incredibly, AA only lists ďrefreshmentsĒ for this flight...

Is the window for midcon departures getting a proper dinner really that small? From when to when?
Old Apr 8, 19, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National Executive Elite
4:01 to 8:00pm
Old Apr 8, 19, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold, UA LT 1K, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Refreshments will be nuts and a cookie. And of course Drinks.

I was on an after 8pm midcon two days ago. I did see a Concierge Key member (he preboarded with CK) eating a snack box from coach. There is no snack basket in F.

I have been on red-eye flights were they served a choice of either humus or fruit and cheese plate - on regular F dinnerware. Not sure why they don't do that here (midcon).
Old Apr 8, 19, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
You never get a "proper dinner" on an AA domestic flight. It's a all different colored/textured lumps of salt. The airports are filled with places that serve meals. Eating that late is crap for one's body anyways. I'm not trying to overdue the cynicism. I just feel most airline food is horrible. No one should be looking forward to getting a meal on a 3 hour flight.
Old Apr 8, 19, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hyatt Diamond, M/SPG Plat Prem, National Exec Elite, mlife platinum
Originally Posted by mcrw00 View Post
About to take a midcon leaving DFW at 8:30 pm in F. Incredibly, AA only lists ďrefreshmentsĒ for this flight...

Is the window for midcon departures getting a proper dinner really that small? From when to when?
The cutoff has been 8pm for a while...
lbbzman, enpremiere and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 8, 19, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT
On some longer mid cons like DFW-BOS, they do a charcuterie plate or similar. Specifically thinking of AA 65 which is the 8:46 P.M. departure.
Old Apr 8, 19, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
See the footnotes - and the route exception list: https://www.aa.com.br/i18n/travelInf...p?locale=en_JP
Old Apr 8, 19, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Looks like Iíve always booked my midcons within the meal windows without realizing how limited they are...

And to Uncle Nonnyís point, while I completely agree that plane food is in general horrible and horrible for you, I fly just infrequently enough that I can throw dietary concerns away on days I fly. For that reason, knowing I have a meal waiting for me onboard is a nice perk in terms of time saving.

I also think itís quite cheap not to offer dinners until 9 PM. Itís a first world problem and not something thatís going to steer me away from AA, but just another disappointment.
Spanish likes this.
Old Apr 8, 19, 6:07 pm

Programs: AGR S, SPG PLT, MAR PLT, HGP Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny View Post
You never get a "proper dinner" on an AA domestic flight. It's a all different colored/textured lumps of salt. The airports are filled with places that serve meals. Eating that late is crap for one's body anyways. I'm not trying to overdue the cynicism. I just feel most airline food is horrible. No one should be looking forward to getting a meal on a 3 hour flight.
Not cynical at all!
Old Apr 8, 19, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by mcrw00 View Post
I also think itís quite cheap not to offer dinners until 9 PM. Itís a first world problem and not something thatís going to steer me away from AA, but just another disappointment.
why 9 pm? Someone would argue that's too early and it should be 10 etc.
ksucats and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 8, 19, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD
Select ex-DFW flights post-8pm (maybe only in the 8-9pm window) get the lite-bites snack tray as BOSishome alluded to. I've gotten ones on DFW-BOS and DFW-SFO before--maybe the criterion is 1,299 miles like it is for cookie vs. ice cream dessert. The options vary, but think along the lines of a charcuterie plate, cheese+fruit plate, veggies+dip, etc.
Old Apr 8, 19, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Mildly related, but I wish it would show up in Manage Reservations or on the app.
mcrw00 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 19, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would be much happier with a selection of fresh but packaged sandwiches on all flights. Give up on the china and pretend service, but provide some sustenance.
Old Apr 8, 19, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
why 9 pm? Someone would argue that's too early and it should be 10 etc.
Honestly, just my intuitive sense that comes from the latest my friendsí families and mine would eat dinner as a kid growing up, and the latest many non-bar restaurants in my hometown were open. If thatís not as universal in the US as I think, then I stand corrected.
Old Apr 8, 19, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
I would be much happier with a selection of fresh but packaged sandwiches on all flights. Give up on the china and pretend service, but provide some sustenance.
It makes a big difference to me that the food is hot (and not cold, which is what I imagine when you say packaged sandwich).

Search this Thread