Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Premium Economy not on 2nd Leg of Trip. MCE Free?

Old Apr 8, 19, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA

I used my miles to book premium economy from BCN-DFW. I have to connect through JFK to get to DFW and noticed that the plane doesn't have any premium economy seats. Am I able to sit in the MCE section for no charge for that leg? I asked a customer service person and they said I would have to pay the $56 for MCE but when I saw my ticket receipt only the taxes for the trip were on there. I'm sure hoping that I don't have to pay for the MCE but wanted to find out for sure.
Old Apr 8, 19, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by robin13 View Post
I used my miles to book premium economy from BCN-DFW. I have to connect through JFK to get to DFW and noticed that the plane doesn't have any premium economy seats. Am I able to sit in the MCE section for no charge for that leg? I asked a customer service person and they said I would have to pay the $56 for MCE but when I saw my ticket receipt only the taxes for the trip were on there. I'm sure hoping that I don't have to pay for the MCE but wanted to find out for sure.
For a Premium Economy award you only get PE on the flights that offer PE (BCN-JFK in this case), everything else will be in economy, and yes you do need to pay for MCE on that flight if you want it.

Even if you had a Business class award with economy for the domestic connecting flight, you would still have to pay for MCE on that flight.

Basically, being in PE or Business for the long-haul segment offers no seating benefits if you're in economy for another segment of the trip.

Last edited by JJeffrey; Apr 8, 19 at 1:14 pm
Old Apr 8, 19, 12:38 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG
I recently booked a PE ticket (AUS-MIA-EZE) and was able to select MCE on the AUS-MIA/MIA-DFW-AUS flights for no charge. The domestic flights booked into Y and I have no elite status with AA.
airb330 likes this.

Last edited by Austin787; Apr 8, 19 at 1:23 pm
Old Apr 8, 19, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
For a Premium Economy award you only get PE on the flights that offer PE (BCN-JFK in this case), everything else will be in economy, and yes you do need to pay for MCE on that flight if you want it.

Even if you had a Business class award with economy for the domestic connecting flight, you would still have to pay for MCE on that flight.

Basically, being in PE or Business for the long-haul segment offers no seating benefits if you're in economy for another segment of the trip.
So I'm wondering why the MCE charge wasn't on my receipt? Would they bill that separately? My ticket does show that I'm in seat 9F which is MCE.
Old Apr 8, 19, 1:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold,Hilton HHonors Gold, Kimpton Inner Circle
MCE is included on Premium Economy fares on the domestic (or positioning) segments.

For example:

PHL-ORD (MCE)
ORD-HNL (PE)

PHL-CLT (MCE)
CLT-LHR (PE)
Old Apr 8, 19, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Yea, disregard the above, getting AA confused with another carrier. For some reason thought MCE wasn't included on award tickets but was on paid tickets.
airb330 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 19, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps you're thinking about AAnytime awards / full Y fares? -- Which I believe used to provide free MCE, but no longer do.
airb330 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 19, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by airb330 View Post
MCE is included on Premium Economy fares on the domestic (or positioning) segments.

For example:

PHL-ORD (MCE)
ORD-HNL (PE)

PHL-CLT (MCE)
CLT-LHR (PE)
Excellent!! Thanks for the validation.
Old Apr 8, 19, 2:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by airb330 View Post

For example:

PHL-ORD (MCE)
ORD-HNL (PE)

PHL-CLT (MCE)
CLT-LHR (PE)
That's correct as long as the flights are AA marketed and operated. You don't get the free MCE if the PE segment is on BA, for example.
Old Apr 8, 19, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalDemographic View Post
That's correct as long as the flights are AA marketed and operated. You don't get the free MCE if the PE segment is on BA, for example.
my friend was flying in BA PE and got free MCE on AA. All flights marketed as BA
Old Apr 8, 19, 7:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by gateH15 View Post

my friend was flying in BA PE and got free MCE on AA. All flights marketed as BA
To be completely accurate (which I wasn't at the time) my comment was intended to apply to flights bought on aa.com where you can't purchase itineraries of BA marketed / AA operated flights. I'd be interested to understand how your friend got free MCE seats on AA when BA charges regular passengers for all pre-reserved seats on their own metal even in premium cabins. Does your friend have status?
Old Apr 8, 19, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalDemographic View Post
To be completely accurate (which I wasn't at the time) my comment was intended to apply to flights bought on aa.com where you can't purchase itineraries of BA marketed / AA operated flights. I'd be interested to understand how your friend got free MCE seats on AA when BA charges regular passengers for all pre-reserved seats on their own metal even in premium cabins. Does your friend have status?
Iím not sure how did that happen. He bought it on BA.com with some flights operated by AA and he was able to select MCE for free when he used AA PNR. He has no status.